What's new

dvd audio set-up trouble (1 Viewer)

EddieMata

Agent
I'm having trouble with the audio side of my dvd player. I have tried both the digital coaxial and optical outputs and connected them into my reciever but neither puts out sound. I've used the same cables with different sources to the same ports and they have worked fine. However when I go back to my dvd player nil! Any suggestions would be appreciated.

THANKS

Eddie

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
It is probably the fact that the digital in on your receiver is assigned to something other than the DVD input. Also try enabling the digital out (bitstream) on the DVD player. Give us the brand and model of your receiver and DVD player and we may be able to help further.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
If you mean you are having trouble with DVD-Audio vs. the audio part of a DVD-V, the answer is easy; DVD-A does not pass through the digital connection.

You must use the analog connections to hear DVD-A software. For multi-channel, that will mean that the 5.1 analog outs must connect to the 5.1 analog inputs of your receiver.

BGL

Paul_Medenwaldt

Supporting Actor
Brian is correct. I found this out last year when I first started with DVD-A.

I had to go buy cables for the analog outputs for my dvd player to my reciever.

You don't need to buy terribley expensive cables. Just go pick up 3 packs of left/right audio cables and you should be good to go.

Paul

EddieMata

Agent
Thanks guys!

Its the audio from the dvd-video that I having trouble with. So, I should connect the 5.1 outputs for sound? Does the optical or digital coax not work for that then?

Eddie

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
If its normal DVD video, the digital connection should work fine. You may need to enable it in the player, and you may also need to choose whether or not the output is set to bitstream or PCM.

Assuming your receiver has a DD and DTS decoder, you want to choose bitstream.

Having said that, you could in fact use the 5.1 outputs from the player, but its likely that your receiver will decode DD and DTS as well if not better than the player.

BGL

EddieMata

Agent
I was asked about the model types I have for my equiptment. I have a Sony cd/dvd player dvp-ns400d and Kenwood a/v receiver vr606.

The player has a 5.1ch decoder built in per manual and the receiver has 6ch input. Will that make a difference?

Eddie

I don't have any experience with those specific models, but I will re-iterate what everyone else has said. I just got a new Amp/preamp combo and initially I couldn't get any sound from the DVD. I had to access the Preamps menu and make sure the dvd was assigned to the type of cord I was using.

So, the answer liekly lies in the menu's :)

Also, have you tried hooking the DVD player into the tv using regular composite to check that it is putting at sound at all?

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
You probably do not have the digital input on the receiver assigned to the DVD. I have looked for your model on the Kenwood site, but do not see the vr606, only the vr6060. I'll assume the vr6060 is what you have. To assign the digital in to the DVD/DTS/DD, do the following (note: this info is on page 8 of the manual):

1 Use the Input Selector keys to select CD/DVD, VIDEO 2, VIDEO 3 or DVD/6CH.
(**you want to select CD/DVD**)

2 Press the INPUT MODE key.

Each press switches the setting as follows:
In DTS play mode
1 FULL AUTO (digital input, analog input)
2 DIGITAL MANUAL (digital input)
(**you probably want to select FULL AUTO**)

In CD/DVD, VIDEO 2, VIDEO 3 or DVD/6CH play mode
1 FULL AUTO (digital input, analog input)
2 DIGITAL MANUAL (digital input)
3 6CH INPUT (DVD/6CH input)
4 ANALOG (analog input)
(**you probably want to select FULL AUTO**)

**Also make sure you turn on "bitstream" for the digital output on the DVD player and attach the optical or coax digital cable to the proper inputs on the receiver (they are listed on the back). Since you are receiving other types of digital input, your problem probably lies with the receiver**

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks