DVD-Audio finally compatible with PCs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Thomas_Berg, Sep 23, 2002.

1. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
  2. Myki Cantero

Myki Cantero Stunt Coordinator

What's even more interesting is that the sound card has a firewire port.

Wouldn't it be nice to see programs that would come out that would allow your computer to connect to a Marantz SR7300's firewire port? So that would give us a digital connection for DVD-Audio. wow!

3. Michael St. Clair

This is being allowed because the decryption is being done on hardware, unlike CSS for DVD-V which was allowed to be done in software.

This is arguably just as secure as a regular DVD-Audio player. Both would require hardware reverse-engineering to even attempt to crack the encryption.

I seriously doubt if the player will allow DVD-A music to be passed via the firewire output (other than downconverted to stereo-only 16/48 as many DVD-A players already pass via their digital outputs).

4. Eugene Hsieh

Eugene Hsieh Supporting Actor

5. Michael St. Clair

6. Han

Han Second Unit

It never fails. Whenever Best Buy does a "rebate sale" on the current Creative Labs cards, it means the newer models are coming out.

I can't find a big image (zoomed in) of what the front and back panels look like for these Audigy 2 / platinum cards.

7. Eugene Hsieh

Eugene Hsieh Supporting Actor

8. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

The solution for DVD-Audio encryption and watermarking is to boycott. When the format fails, the record companies may get the message that interfering with your customers' ability to make full legal use of their purchases is not a profitable thing to do.

Knowing that Creative Labs has made the Audigy DRM-friendly, I don't think I'd be interested in one. It is not Creative Labs' place to (help) police me in my home, using my property, on the assumption that I am a criminal. Not even if the DRM enforced the actual copyright laws, instead of the "we're going to block all lawful digital copying, as well as illegal copying" junk.

We wouldn't tolerate a police state whose stated excuse was to prevent all rapes and all murders before the fact, by having police follow everyone everywhere 24 x 7. The Third and Fourth Amendments prohibit it. Why tolerate electronic police whose excuse is that you (you criminal, you) might make an illegal copy?

9. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

I would be remiss if I did not point out that that MLP is not an encryption scheme. MLP is a compression scheme. MLPs purpose is to allow for either increased playing time and/or decrease the bandwidth below the hard limit of 9.6mbit/second.
    If you want multi-channel (5.1) @ 24bit/96K you must use MLP, just as if you want multi-channel for SACD you must use Direct Stream Transfer.
    Consumer MLP Encoders are already available, although the cheapest one I'm aware of lists for US$2495.
    Regards,

10. Michael St. Clair

11. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Michael,

The answer is yes.

CPPM is not mandatory.

Neither is Verance.

If you don't use them, you don't pay for them either.

Regards,