DVD and the soaps...

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Jack Cleveland, May 30, 2011.

1. Jack Cleveland

Jack Cleveland Second Unit

On a lark, I went to YouTube last night and searched for soap opera clips... I was amazed at the amount of episodes that are there- Complete story arcs for many differnt shows. I was clicking and watching for several hours. It made me nostalgic for the serials that are disappearing from the networks. I find it hard to believe that there is no interest in bringing these shows to the DVD market. What in your opinion would be a good way to put together DVD volumes of soaps?

1. Sample episodes from various decades.

2. Stories revolving around a certain character.

3. A complete story, start to finish.

I agree that it would be impossible to release a complete soap library, but there would seem to be some value in releasing portions of a show. Any other ideas?

Proctor and Gamble alone are sitting on a treasure trove of episodes!

2. bretmaverick2

bretmaverick2 Supporting Actor

Tom Hunter
    I would think that most fans would like to have complete stories. Since most stories are character driven, it would be pretty character focused.

Examples off the top of my head: General Hospital's "Ice Princess" story. Intro'd a lot of characters that became hugely important to GH's mythology. Add to that, it was the first sci-fi styled story on daytime TV.

Other shows that were much shorter could be collected in complete series sets, a la "Dark Shadows". In those cases, I am thinking of shows like Santa Barbara, Port Charles and such.

3. Jack Cleveland

Jack Cleveland Second Unit

I understand what you mean- Complete stories, especially ones with connections for the fans, like GL's Phillip, Rick, Mindy, and Beth 4 Musketeers story, or the San Cristobel storyline would certainly be enjoyable to revisit. I believe fans are missing their soaps- Perhaps a revisit on DVD would be a good thing-

Other thoughts?

4. Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis Screenwriter

One big problem is that the classic soaps have incomplete archives, with most of the big production houses (ABC, P&G) only beginning to save day-to-day episodes on a contiuous basis circa 1978. Plus, some shows were being broadcast live until the mid-1970s.

Check out this Wikipedia article on lost tv episodes in different types of shows- the US soap section is indeed shocking:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiping

5. Lerrydimm

Lerrydimm Auditioning

Does anyone know where I can either buy or rent the old daytime soap opera "Loving" which then became named "The City" on DVD or even VHS? The SoapNet channel is not showing it. I really would love to watch it all over again.
    http://www.zimbio.com/member/IleneDaniel/articles/JGZZ-YWGipr/Healthy+Colon+Cleanse+Review+Get+Free+Trial

6. Lerrydimm

Lerrydimm Auditioning

Does anyone know where I can either buy or rent the old daytime soap opera "Loving" which then became named "The City" on DVD or even VHS? The SoapNet channel is not showing it. I really would love to watch it all over again.
    http://www.zimbio.com/member/IleneDaniel/articles/JGZZ-YWGipr/Healthy+Colon+Cleanse+Review+Get+Free+Trial