What's new

dvd and cd network storage (1 Viewer)

KevinW

Stunt Coordinator
I would like to rip and store direct 1:1 copies of my cd and dvd collection for playback on my home theater system. I'm not sure where to really start or what file format to use. I've thought about getting the Apple TV device, ripping just the movie file and cd, which would work. I've ripped dozens of movies for use on iPhone by using dvd decrypter and videora. But I'd like full dvd copies(menus, special features, etc. ).I'm looking to get the same quality as playing the dvd itself, but without having to put the disc in the blu-ray player. I don't have a dedicated media pc or an xbox, so windows media center is not an option. I've looked at streaming storage devices by netgear, western digital, etc. Would these work? I've also considered getting a 2tb or larger network storage drive to store it all in one place, plus provide backup for the 3 laptops in the house. In summary, what type of streaming device? How much storage for 100 or more cds and 150 or more dvds? What file format and ripping software? Thanks!!!

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I've found mp4 (and vob) to be the most flexible for compatibility. I'm curious what others say about that. I have to add though that I purposely only rip the main feature (if I want to see anything else I retrieve the DVD). And I always watch end-to-end, so I don't need chapters. Bottom line is I don't know if you can get chapter info and such into mp4. I run off of a very low end ReadyNAS Duo. That seems to work fine as far as performance goes. Mostly I'd look for a NAS that is easily customizable so that you have options for your DLNA server. You can't have too much space. I used up 1TB without blinking. I'm going to 2TB because that's all my NAS is approved for. If I had the money I''d get at least a quad RAID NAS with over 4 TB. (I rip at high rates so I can watch on larger TVs, so I'm averaging 5-7 G per film.)

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I use Handbrake to rip to H.264. I also only rip the main movie. Which container is not really relevant - mp4 or mkv. There are options to create an ISO and get the full disc. I haven't investigated this angle fully since I like to make my stuff somewhat portable (and playable on many devices). BTW - My current favorite way to stream is PLEX. Check it out at http://plexapp.com/.

KevinW

Stunt Coordinator
Ripping the main video file would do what I really wanted, which is to have all my dvds stored digitally to browse through and play. I'm really interesed in the apple tv box because we all have iphones, ipads, and use itunes. Ripping the main video file to h.264 would be fine, considering the use of apple tv. In the past I've ripped movies specifically for viewing on the iphone. What resolution would be best for tv viewing, to rip it at dvd native (480)? I can set my Denon avr to upconvert the apple tv output to 1080p for the tv. Thoughts?

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Upconverting a low-res file doesn't produce the same quality image you started with. All upconverting does is guess at how to fill in empty bits. If you are watching on anything reasonably big, say 32" or over, I would think the picture quality would be very good. Of course, the best thing to do is try it and see if you're satisfied.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I never 'up convert' anything. All my rips look as good as the original on my 61" screen. As for watching it on lower end devices, that's again why I like PLEX. I can watch the same stream on my TV, my computer, or my smart phone. Plus, since you like Apple, you may be interested to know it was originally developed for Apple. I personally use it on Linux and Google TV, Android, and Windows.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks