What's new

DVD-A: Not impressed with selection (1 Viewer)

I have to concur with the Eagles, Marvin Gaye etc. If you have SACD capabilities, the new release of Dire Straits, Brothers In Arms is excellant.

Regards
Emmett

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
DVD Planet seemed to have the best prices
on DVD-A discs. Most were just under $13,
about $1-2 less than other competing sites.

Still just not impressed with selection.

Is there a real effort being put into getting
more DVD-A releases out? How is the format doing
in general?

It would seem to me that DVD-A would be THE
most prosperous format since everybody has a
DVD player compared to having to buy a separate
SACD player.

I haven't been following this format, so I really
don't know much about it or how well it has been
advancing.

Is there a Newsletter one can subscribe to that
announces new DVD-A releases?

Will_B

Senior HTF Member

My impression is that there is not an effort to release either DVD-As or SACDs anymore. But the DVD side of a DualDisc can sometimes be a DVD-A, so reports of the demise of DVD-A may be premature.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill

The conventional wisdoms were that DVD-A would be dominant because everyone had a DVD player (and they were including a DVD-compatible non-high-rez version of the recording); SACD would be dominant because everyone had a CD player. BUT, the only way SACD would have an impact, IMO, was if they included the backwards-compatible CD layer, thus making it a "hybrid" disc. Those hybrid discs have not been nearly as high-profile as they should have been. I think the lack of CD compatibility has also hampered DVD-A, and so-called "Dual Disc" has done little do address that.

Many hybrid SACD/CD discs have been released, including several by Elton John, Bob Dylan, the Rolling Stones, the Police, and Pink Floyd's incredible Dark Side of the Moon. There is also a hybrid 20th's anniversary release of Dire Straits Brothers in Arms making the rounds in the UK (and in import shops elsewhere).

DVD-A has a lot of titles, too. You just have to shop around. Check the thread mentioned earlier for what people here are buying, and where.

I have the Denon 2900, which plays both DVD-A and SACD. If I had to pick a favorite DVD-A it would be Donald Fagan's The Nightfly. Dark Side of the Moon rules on SACD.

Dual Disc (with a "DVD side" and a "side that may or may not play on all CD players") is testing the waters right now. I've had no troubles with Springsteen and Nine Inch Nails, but on advise of others I have not attempted to play it in my Denon 2900 (it will apparently void the warranty--how's that for a viable format!)

Now, here's the kicker. Do you know why I think high-rez music formats will not work in general? I don't think most people have the ears or the sound systems to distinguish the difference! That being the case, why move away from CD? Why not incorporate a music server that plays your MP3's? (I am actually an optical cable away from being able to do this wirelessly, using Appie's Airtunes setup.)

Ah, but I ramble.

- Steve

Manus

Second Unit

PerryD

Supporting Actor
The best prices are at DDD during their 20% sale, was able to pick up lots of DVD Audio discs for under $10. Their regular prices are great, but their selection is limited and hard to find (you have to search DVD_A, DVD_AUDIO, DVD-A, etc).
Deep Discount DVD-A selection

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Ron, part of the problem in this regard is that not all DVD-V players support DVD-A. Personally, I blame this on the typical corporate politics and disorganization that were at play at the dawn of the format: the DVD-A spec was codified about 2 years after the DVD-V spec. If they had happened simultaneously, then perhaps things would look differently now for hi rez aud in general and DVD-A in particular. For instance, receivers could have been made availabe sooner that had 5.1 channel analog inputs. Everyone who, in a fit of excitement over their pre-2000 DVD player purchase, bought a receiver doesn't have the multichannel analog inputs needed to enjoy these formats.

Not unlike what may be happen WRT to HDMI and HD DVD/Blu-ray but I digress . . .

-p

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
P.S. - Although leading DVD-A supporter Toshiba does make players that support SA-CD playback, leading SA-CD manufacturer Sony doesn't support DVD-A. That's part of the reason you either have to "buy a separate SA-CD player" or purchase one of the too-limited number of reasonably priced universal players (which play both formats). But if you want to spend over a grand on a uni, there are plenty of choices. :) -p

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

Interesting. I thought.."hey, DVD player so it
must play DVD-A"

How do I know if mine supports DVD-A or not?

I have the Panasonic RP91, by the way.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Ron,

If a player does DVD-A, it will say so explicitly in the manual, and perhaps have a logo on the front panel. Failing those two tell-tales, there will be a set-up choice in the player's menus to choose DVD-A or DVD-V.

If set to DVD-A, it will select that layer if there is one on the disc. To get to the DVD-V section of DVD-A disc, you would need to set it to DVD-V.

Of course, that does not affect normal DVD's, only DVD-A's that all have both DVD-A nd DVD-V content.

Brian

Will_B

Senior HTF Member

And this kind of rare news is great for Hiatt fans and for folks who don't mind having their selection picked for them. But for people who want to choose their own artists/albums, they're pretty much out of luck.

Philip_T

Supporting Actor
Ron.
Looks like your DVD player supports DVD-A. If you haven't done so already, hook up 6 analog componant cables from the DVD players analog 5.1 output and run them into your amps external inputs. That way you can access the Hi-Res tracks. Otherwise, if you were to just run the DVD-A through the optical/digital output, you will only be able to access the regular surround mixes (Dolby Dig, DTS). Now go out there and procure a few titles and enjoy!

Phil

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill

As do I, right above the Denon 2900. It supports DVD-A through the six-channel outputs on the back.

Most DVD-A discs I've seen at least have a lower-resolution 5.1 track that will play on any DVD player. Thus, they can eek out the claim that it is compatible. But to get true "high resolution" stereo or multichannel sound, you need the specific DVD-Audio player.

Again, this is analogous to SACD/CD hybrid releases, where you can play it on a CD player, but to get the high-rez mixes, you need additional hardware.

- Steve

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
We'll have to agree to disagree, Will. If you can survey the offerings of current/planned SA-CD and DVD-A and say that music fans are "out of luck," frankly I question your music fandom. And it's not as though the entire discography of some very popular artists has not been released on hi rez. (There's a thread in the Music area about the Genesis catalog being prepared for hi rez release.)

Additionally, this attitude misses one of the sublime pleasures of new formats: getting hipped to something that you were theretofore unaware of because you decided to give something that's new to you a whirl. Maybe you're a prime candidate for picking up that Hiatt release. He's an outstanding singer/songwriter.

-p

I have a Pioneer player that supports both DVD-A and SACD. While this is a medium priced player at best it still is a huge improvement over anything else I have had. Years ago I used to buy half speed mastered lp's trying to get audiophile sound. Twentyfive years later I am getting much better sound, no problem with scratches and paying as little as half of what I was then.

The selection is a lot larger than the audiophile sections used to carry.

While there may not be a huge selection, it is still pretty good and the quality is what I used to dream of.

I now have a HT room that helps the sound quality immensely, thanks Dennis Erskine.

Regards
Emmett

Larry Geller

Supporting Actor
Remember, Ron, the Acuras also play DTS CDs in 5.1. Get the DTS Hell Freezes Over and there's your live Eagles in 5.1 in the car!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I just found a bunch of DTS DVD-AUDIO
discs that I had gotten from my last visit
to DTS.

In addition to a sampler disc, I have:

Toy Matinee
Joe Cocker: Night Falls
Sheryl Crow: Globe Sessions
Studio Voodoo

These any good?

I know the Sheryl Crow album as I have it
on regular CD. Great album!

I am going to look up DTS audio CDs as well
because I don't think I was initially including
them in my search.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Hmmm, the warranty void issue may not be with Denon (I checked their website and found nothing), but I know one manufacturer was doing it.

Ron, I enjoyed Toy Matinee, especially Last Plane Out. Kevin Gilbert wrote songs and I believe produced some of Sheryl Crow's work before his untimely (and unseemly) death.

- Steve

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Ron, just bear in mind that DTS distributes both (lossy) DTS CDs and (lossless) DVD-A titles. Just to keep you on your toes, a couple of years ago they repackaged all of their DTS CD titles in the same style of "Super Jewel" box as their true DVD-A titles. :rolleyes

-p

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks