What's new

DVD-A: Not impressed with selection (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I never had an interest in SACD or DVD-A.

I have always had a DVD player to play DVD-A,
but I rarely listen to anything but satellite
radio in my home.

Things have sort of changed...

Just bought a new 2005 Acura RL that features
a CD Player that plays DVD-A.

So I browse on-line through CD UNIVERSE and
AMAZON only to find a rather mediocre selection
of DVD-A titles.

Was really in the mood for THE EAGLES. Wouldn't
it be cool if they had some great LIVE DVD-A stuff
available? The only thing I could find was their
studio album, Hotel California.

Not much GREATEST HITS stuff out there, which is
mainly what I would be attracted to.

Has the selections been and will continue to
be this lackluster?

Maybe I'm not looking in the right places.

Thanks in advance!

AricB

Second Unit
most of the hits compilations aren't that good of sound quality, or vary widely throughout the disc.

selection is poor.

fleetwood mac, steely dan, beck, porcupine tree, blue man group have some good albums, with well done audio. i think the eagles disc is good too, but i dont have it. some dual discs have dvd-audio on one side, but id caution you to putting them in your player. they are thicker than normal dvds, allegedly this can cause problems.

dts 5.1 cd's may also play in that player, im not positive?

PerryD

Supporting Actor
I picked up a combo DVD-Audio/SACD player a few months back and am enjoying revisiting some old classics in surround format.

Check out the list at Acoustic Sounds for maybe a better listing.

As for myself, I've recently picked up the Who's Tommy, Elton John's Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, Alanis Morisette's Under Rug Swept, Metallica's Black Album, Eagles Hotel California, REM Best of, Fleetwood Mac's Rumours, Foreigner 4, Deep Purple Machine Head, Al Green's Greatest Hits, and a few more I can't remember (or am too embarrassed to mention...*cough* Britney Spears *cough*).

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Congrats on the new ride, Ron.

Amazon is notoriously poor and disorganized with regards to their hi rez listings.

Try Music Direct (www.amusicdirect.com). (Use the "Product Category..." pull down menu in the upper right-hand corner of the home page to select either format.)

DVD Planet also breaks out DVD-A titles in a separate listing.

SA-CD.net is a strong SA-CD site.

Also, Universal Music Group is probably the biggest major label supporting the formats (at least before their recent foray into DualDisc support). Their "New Formats" Website is worth a browse.

Personally, I'm a big fan of the Telarc classical label. Their SA-CD selection is absolutely worth your time and attention.

Finally, although not hi rez, I'm sure you're already aware of The Eagles' recent Live From Melbourne DVD.

-p

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thanks everyone for the links. I have
plenty to browse through.

Paul, I have that Eagles DVD. Wish there was
a DVD-A of it.

Matt Fisher

Second Unit
I have the Marvin Gaye collection, it's a very nice tracklisting and a solid stereo mix, however the surround is pretty weak. I've heard the live Zeppelin is supposed to be great, could be what you're looking for. There's also a few HDAD (basically the same thing as DVD-A, correct me if I am wrong) discs that are supposed to be very nice, if I remember there's Coltrane's Blue Train, one from Cannonball Adderly, Pete Townshend, and a few from Alan Parsons Project. Don't dismiss the format yet, I personally am still working on plans for improving my HT system so I can take better advantage of DVD-A and also start incorporating SACD. Enjoy.

Edit: I should also add that the reason I got into DVD-A in the first place was because of my car. I drive a Subaru WRX and when I bought it I went ahead and replaced the stereo with a Panasonic head unit that supports DVD-A (along with new speakers all around, amps, etc.). The draw for me was that it did DVD and CD, because I was putting in a fold out screen, after realizing it also did DVD-A, I checked into the format and I picked up a few discs, they sound great in the car, a good sound system can really take advantage of the compactness of a car.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Gee Ron, I always thought Hotel California was a greatest hits album:D

Seriously, that was one of my first DVD-A's and the sonics are tops. Hearing the dueling guitar solos on the title track, but given some room to breath, is great fun.

If I were you, I would buy it in a heartbeat.

And if the music is to your tastes, I would grab ELP, Chicago, and both Big Phatt Band discs.....you may never leave the car again!

Brian

KevinJ

Supporting Actor
Also try to find the Grateful Dead Workingmans Dead and American Beauty dvd-a's as well as the Alice cooper dvd-a's[welcome to my nightmare and billion dollar babies]....you won't be disappointed.

Philip_T

Supporting Actor
Mine as well through my list of favorites out there. INPO.
1.) Grover Washington, Jr. - Winelight
My first ever DVD-A and I was instantly hooked.
2.) Crowded House - Crowded House
I've always liked the songs on this album, but the hi-res mix on this recording had me enjoying these songs more than ever before. Truly one of the most under-rated, unmentioned DVD-A's out there.
3.)Donald Fagen - The Nightfly
One of the best Hi-Res mixes ever.
4.)Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
A must have. If you've never appreciated his backing vocals before, you will now.

As far as some slightly off the beaten path choices, I really like:
1.) Porcupine Tree - In Absentia
Includes 3 bonus tracks :emoji_thumbsup:
2.) Buena Vista Social Club - Buena Vista Social Club
I'll be honest, I had never heard of these guys before and picked this one up on a whim. There is some great Cuban music on this one with some Ry Cooder on guitars as well. Great for a lazy Sunday with Mojito in hand.
3.) Steve Stevens - Flamenco A Go Go
You would never believe that the Ex-Billy Idol guitarist had such talent.

The selection of available titles is however, limited. Especially if you end really enjoying the format and get thirsty for more. I say enjoy what little is out there and pick up a title or two.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Ron: I couldn't agree with you more about how poor DVD-A selection is. Everytime I go to my local stores I take the time to check out their respective high-rez sections only to walk away empty handed.

If you like Diana Krall...her DVD-A selections are fantastic! :emoji_thumbsup:

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Although I understand there is visceral appeal to being able to browse aisles and feel the goods, the time that brick & mortar was the best place to shop for hi rez (if there ever was one) has largely long since passed. It's really not quite fair to pass judgment on title availability based upon what you do and do not see at local stores, unless you're lucky enough to be browsing a hi rez savvy boutique. Online is where it's at.

-p

FeisalK

Screenwriter
Ought to be interesting to try out Flaming Lips' Yoshimi, especially since there's a track warning against listening in a car while driving (oh, I'm such a rebel)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Dave,

You are right -- Hotel California is probably
the closest I could get to a Greatest Hits selection.

Also like Goodbye Yellow Brick Road

Matt Fisher

Second Unit
If you have a Virgin Megastore near you, check them out, pricing is pretty reasonable and I know the one by me probably has somewhere between 60-80 titles. Evem if you don't pick out something, might get some ideas.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
My favorite DVD-As:

OutKast: STANKONIA
Flaming Lips: YOSHIMI
Grateful Dead: AMERICAN BEAUTY, WORKINGMAN'S DEAD
Bjork: VESPERTINE (also available on SACD)
Beck: SEA CHANGE (I have the SACD, but I understand the DVD-A sounds as good/nearly as good)
Donald Fagen: THE NIGHTFLY
Neil Young: GREATEST, HARVEST (

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
Ron, your thread title pretty much says it all...

The recent REM DVD-A/CD releases are pretty damn good, but keep in mind it's only their Warner catalog, and not the earlier stuff. EMI does have a DVD-A of Document out, which is fantastic...

If you're into mellower stuff like the Eagles, definitely check out the Beck Sea Change disc and Ryan Adams' Gold, which is also out on DVD-A now...

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
And also the two Grateful Dead titles, which are some of the earliest examples of the country rock/americana thing and hence quite a bit like the Eagles (but without the icky "adult contemporary" undertaste).

RobBenton

Stunt Coordinator
I personally thought the surround mix on the Marvin Gay DVD-A collection to be a very good one and the sound quality is very good as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks