What's new

DV versus Component cable (1 Viewer)

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I must plead my ignorance on DV cables since I dont have anything that uses them.
I was hooking up my friends system and the TV and Sony HD200 had a DV connection.
I assume that the DV cable takes the digital bitstream into the TV which then decodes it. Most of the time this is the best connection but there are exceptions like composite vs S video on LD which goes against the norm.
Has anyone tried a component cable and a DV cable to see if it is the way to go?
Any tips or concerns?
Thanks
Grant

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Grant.

The DVI interface is fairly new so thats why you dont get a lot of responses.

A few people who have a source with both HD analog and DVI report very little visible difference.

If you hang out at the TV/Projectors fourm you will see that many HDTV's allow you a separate set of controls PER INPUT. To do a real test, someone would have to pay a ISF Certified calibrationist to adjust the settings on the analog and DVI inputs to identical color/balance values. But this alone will make the 2 feeds look identical.

My advice: use the DVI if possible to free up those analog inputs for other non-DVI sources. Quality is not the issue, more available inputs is.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Thanks
Since they gave my friend a DV cable we will go with that.
What you say is true but generally people will still give their opionion on most subjects

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks