What's new

Duran Duran's new album, will it be any good? (1 Viewer)

Craig: Mclaren

Second Unit
The last Duran album that really kicked ass was 1993's "The Wedding Album"

We are being told by "The Man" that the new album will be amazing. What do the HTF crew think? In todays scene of shitty Hip Hop, bland Pop "Stars", and reality TV music "Idols" can a stylish fun band like Duran Duran really fit in?

Lets hope so! :D

Tim H

Stunt Coordinator
The last Duran album that really kicked ass was 1993's "The Wedding Album"
The last one for me was definitely 1997's 'Medazzaland'.

It's hard to tell if the new album will be among the band's best. I've heard 4 or 5 new songs and a couple are really good and the others are so-so. Most are poor quality live recordings, so those aren't always the best evidence. One of the new songs is called "What Happens Tomorrow", which I think is an amazing song. I think it could be a hit, but I don't always call 'hits' too often.

Latest news is the band will reconvene in January to finish the album with Felix Da Housecat reportedly producing.

I've been a huge Duran Duran fan for 20 years, so my opinion on the band isn't always as objective as I think. :D

Second Unit
just got my tickets to see the boys play Glasgow on April 15th. :D :emoji_thumbsup:
When can we expect the new album/ first single?

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
I heard two of their new songs at their recent concert here. Certainly need some work, but that might a "live" glitch. One of them (can't remember name) had a reasonable tuneful chorus but the verses were rather bland.

Put it this way: don't expect another Hungry Like The Wolf.

PS: coincidence -- I'm playing "Greatest" right now...

Tim H

Stunt Coordinator
Put it this way: don't expect another Hungry Like The Wolf.
Nor should you. The band hasn't made anything like 'Hungry Like The Wolf' since....well, 'Hungry Like The Wolf'. If by that comment you mean we shouldn't expect a big hit, then I might buy that.

I've heard 6 studio demos and a 7th song live and all I can say is they need work. The 6 studio demos were being shopped to record companies, so they are far from finished products. I think with the right producer the band could have some success with the new material. I see them more as an adult contemporary band now, and I feel they could succeed in that genre.

The band is NOT seeking the level of success they had in the 80s, and for that, I am glad!

Peter Mazur

Second Unit
Having been a fan since way back when I first heard "Planet Earth", I expect that this new release will deliver. I actually like every album they have ever done, including such loathed ones as: Liberty, Thank You and Pop Trash.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
The band hasn't made anything like 'Hungry Like The Wolf' since....well, 'Hungry Like The Wolf'.
Oh, I don't know, personally my absolute favourite Duran track would be a toss-up between this and New Moon On Monday, which admittedly was nowhere near as big a hit as Hungry Like The Wolf, but I rather like it :D

(how else could anyone sit through 5 versions of the video on the Greatest DVD...)

Tim H

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, they are currently without a record label. The band and Hollywood Records parted ways shortly after Pop Trash flopped. I think it only sold around 42,000 copies.

There are rumors of the band signing again with Capitol Records, but that is not for certain. A new song will be on the Queer Eye soundtrack and it was originally thought all of the artists on that compliation were signed to Capitol. This apparently is not the case.

The band keeps saying they're close to signing a deal. Rumor also has it they were very close to signing with Sony last year, but all of the band members couldn't agree on the terms.

The band apparently want a multi-album deal and all most companies are willing to offer are one album deals.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
There will be a new song on the soundtrack to "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy" CD which comes out in February. Maybe that will give us an idea of what's to come...

Second Unit
Their UK tour is selling out fast and the media seem to be getting excited about them for the first time in years. I'm hopeful the album will be one of the big hits of 2004. They deserve it. They only now seem to be getting the respect and credit that they deserved in the 1980's. :D

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Bought Astronaut Tuesday and have been listening to it since. Not quite what I was expecting. I was hoping for a bit more of there 80's style and this seems to be a bit on the "techno" side. But, it's a good CD with several great songs on board.

Best Buy had it for $9.99, a worthy purchase.

Tim H

Stunt Coordinator
I'm also a fan of the new CD. I'm glad they didn't go with their older style, because this band has always been about moving forward. There's some great songs on here. I think "Astronaut" and "Want You More" are 2 of the best the band has ever done.

CraigL

Screenwriter
Bought it yesterday and I've given it a few spins. I really can't get into it. LOVE the lead single...but prefer the remix that was released months ago. And there are a couple of songs that are kinda catchy...but nothing memorable. A few others are lackluster. Disappointed. :frowning:

Tim H

Stunt Coordinator
Anybody gotten the version with the bonus DVD? Curious to know if it's any good...
I got it. The DVD has 5 live performances from the series of Wembley shows from earlier this year..."Sunrise", "What Happens Tomorrow", "New Religion", "Hungry Like the Wolf" and "Wild Boys", I think. Interspersed with those are backstage glimpes, interviews with the band members, studio footage, and the video for "Sunrise".

The live performances are taken from a live DVD that is supposed to be coming out later on. No exact word on when. I'm not sure if any of the other content will carry over to that DVD though.

If you're a big fan, I would recommend the bonus DVD. If not, I'd say skip it and wait for the live DVD.

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
I was a little "under"-impressed with it. Some really good songs are there ("Sunrise" and "Astronaut"). But overall, not the "back to the 80's roots" that it was touted to be. I wasn't expecting it to sound exactly like that, but maybe at least some of the energy that they had with songs like "Planet Earth", Night Boat", "Careless Memories", "Friends of Mine", "Late Bar", "My Own Way" (the UK LP/CD version), "Hold Back The Rain" (the 12" remix only) and even "Notorious".

But, they do have 3 more albums to do with Sony, so they still have time to hopefully really get with it.

John Milton

Second Unit
While I haven't listened to Astronaut more than a couple of times my initial opinion is that this may be Duran Duran's worst album. :frowning: FWIW, my fave is Medazzaland.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks