What's new

Duran Duran DVD, coming soon? (1 Viewer)

Tim H

Stunt Coordinator
Is anyone noticing any audio synching problems with this DVD? I first noticed it on New Moon on Monday, but the The Reflex does it too. The audio is lagging behind the lip moving.

I tried a couple of other ones, Planet Earth and Come Undone, and they seemed fine.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Tim, I've watched every video now and have no sync problems at all. What DVD player do you have?

Peace Out~:D

Tom McA

Stunt Coordinator
We bought this collection right before a trip so my wife could watch it on the plane. On our crappy little Mintek portable player, yes, the audio is quite noticeably out of sync. I haven't checked it at home yet, because my Pioneer 563A is in the shop (Don't get me started on that topic...)

Mebbe there's an overall music video analog-to-digital remastering issue going on, because I've noticed a lot of videos on VH-1 Classic also have sloppy sync, generally on the late side. (Perhaps this should be a new thread where we could enlist the opinions of some experts out there?)

Tim H

Stunt Coordinator
My player is a Sony DVP-NC600-something-or-other. I'm not at home so I can't check the exact model. It's a 5-disc carousel player I got last year or early this year. I've never had a problem with it before.

I've got another Sony in the bedroom, but I haven't watched it in there any. Perhaps I will do that tonight and see if it exhibits the same problems.

Also I believe I noticed the problem in my computer's DVD drive. Maybe I just need to contact Amazon about a replacement disc?

Its probably a player issue, believe me, i know these videos like the back of my hand.
I've seen these videos plenty of times myself and I don't remember this problem. I've been a huge Duran fan for 20 years now. :)

MattHR

Screenwriter
Also I believe I noticed the problem in my computer's DVD drive. Maybe I just need to contact Amazon about a replacement disc?
A replacement disc won't be any better. This problem is not indicative of an individual disc. It's a mastering issue. Occasionally it can be a disc and player compatibilty probem. But this time it appears to be another mastering blunder.

"New Moon" and "Reflex" are definitely out-of-sync. "Reflex" is particularly bad in certain spots. I checked them on three different players: same problems. I pulled out the trusty laserdiscs (both 12" and 8" variety) to compare. The laserdiscs are in perfect sync, so the DVDs are faulty. I haven't watched both discs in their entirety yet, but will look for other sync problems.

Also, the edge enhancement on this set is the worst I've ever seen. Check out "A View To A Kill". It's almost unwatchable. Most of Duran Duran's videos were shot on film, but heavy post-production in the "video" realm has added layers of grain, halos, jaggies and ghosts to many of them.

However, on a positive note: the PCM sound is fantastic. A huge improvement over the laserdiscs, which sound almost mono in comparison.

How much do you want to bet that EMI doesn't correct or recall the set? Most people probably won't even notice the sync problem. My trained eye (and ear) spot these problems immediately.

Tim H

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks, Matt. That's sad to hear. I thought a simple disc exchange might solve the problem, but I suppose not.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Whew, got this yesterday, and watched (amongst other things) 5 versions of New Moon on Monday :D

Any ideas which is which? The credits call them the EP Version, Edit Version 1, Edit Version 2, Movie Version and Top of the Pops edit; as a matter of interest, the various versions I saw are titles 14 to 18 and title 32 (accessed from La Galarie, and which may be a repeat of title 14?), but which is which?

No doubt the 17min opus (title 18, I think) is the "Movie Version", and I'm assuming the default first run video (title 14) is the "EP Version".

Oh well, just being pedantic. Nice to have these on DVD, I was re-watching my VHS copy recently to get in the mood, and especially so now since I'm going to their concert here on the 16th :D

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Huh ?Did somebody in this thread say that on the dvd, theres a 17 minute version of new moon on monday ?I watched 3 different versions of the video on the set so far and no 17 minute version yet.How many times do you need to watch it to get that version ?

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Craig

Just found out as well. Oh well it is good to know that they are coming to Glasgow

Cheers

Oscar

:emoji_thumbsup:

ToEhrIsHuman

Second Unit
Real Name
Craig Ehr
The REALLY long version of 'NMOM' is the last one...#5 I believe. Bummer is you have to FF thru each version to get to it if you use the menu...no skip. Bummer too that my favorite version is not included...the one most shown when the single was out. It was more of an amalgm of the long cut, and included some of those kewl slow-speed shots like in 'Save A Prayer'.

In related news, according to duranduran.com both a special edition of 'Arena' and the far better 'Sing Blue Silver' tour documentary are coming out on DVD next Spring from Capitol/EMI (around the time of the new CD I would expect.)

--Craig

P.S. Just saw the band AGAIN on 11/30 in San Diego and they were fab as usual....how dare the queer eye guys take the name of the "Fab Five" in vain! ;)

Larry P

Stunt Coordinator
How do you access the Serious edits and the View to A Kill and The Wild Boys interview Easter eggs?

BTW, great disc set. A must for any fan of 1980's music videos. $24.99 at Circuit City.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Just saw the band AGAIN on 11/30 in San Diego
And I just saw them on Dec 16; Singapore was the last stop of their 7803 tour. Most excellent. They played two new songs, which IMHO need a bit more work. Also, Nick seemed to fumble badly and the synths were rather off on Rio and Save A Prayer. Simon, on the other hand, seemed right on top of his game, except for one bit when he tried to do a spectacular running leap from backstage to the front past the drum kit, and stumbled on his landing -- but hey the man is 45 after all ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks