What's new

Dunkin Donuts - An American Tragedy (1 Viewer)

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
I like seeing all the cars lined up at the drive-thru at a Tim Hortens at 6:30 am. I swear, people get up a half hour earlier just to sit in line for one of their coffee's.

Kevin Thompson

Stunt Coordinator
In the mid-eighties I was assigned to a tiny Air Force Station near Manchester, New Hampshire. It was unwritten policy that whoever was running late to work could simply stop in at DD and pick up donuts for the crew, and all would be forgiven. Those were some good donuts, at least back then.

Here in Germany, pastries are made with less sugar than we North Americans are used to. (It has to do with the economic and cultural history of the country) Donuts at a German bakery are definitely not their strong suit. The breads and pretzels, though, are another story :emoji_thumbsup:

KDHM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kim Donald Houde-Martens
A bunch of Dunkin Donuts opened last year here in Berlin but at over 10 euros a dozen, I haven't felt a need for this childhood treat.
kd

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
I dunno about you guys... but ever since Krispy Kreme introduced their new coffee a couple years ago, I've almost completely stopped visiting DD. Their coffee tastes exactly the same and the donuts are like crack when hot! ;)

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen

:laugh: :laugh:

It's funny because it's true. There are three Tim's within a short distance from my office. :D I think there are more TH's around in my city than there are Starbucks. :D

Their coffee is simply fantastic. People DO line up in the drive-thru every morning...and lunch-hour...and weekend. Hell, we buy TH fine-grind coffee so we can make it at home.

I think I'll send some out to be analyzed...I think they must lace it with crack or something...even my wife can't live without her daily-dose of Tim. ;)

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member

Such as Dunkin Donuts.

Even a four day old Krispy Kreme, when the glaze has dried to a flaky white crust, still beats the hell out of a Dunkin Donut of any age.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
I actually prefer KKs when they're a day old (like you find in the grocery stores). The fresh ones are good but I can only eat a couple of them at a time.

KatieL

Stunt Coordinator
I'll eat Krispy Kreme from day 1 until they start to turn a little green.

"Kracky Kremes, you will....."

Vincent_S

Second Unit
quote:
DD Munchkins are still really good. If KK would just make donut holes the world would be a better place

I totally agree:emoji_thumbsup:

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
ohh...katie's venturing out of "you know where". zen...did you give her a hall pass or something???

Cary_H

Second Unit
Max got it right. Tim Horton's recently went to some sort of frozen donut made in a plant somewhere and shipped to their outlets. It caused an uproar among the geriatric community up here who invade TH outlets every morning, setting up camp 'til naptime comes calling. It was nothing much more than just another blurred, distant memory by din-dins.
We Canadians are famous for overreacting to the things of little or no consequence while turning blind eyes to our government losing over 100 million of their tax dollars or pissing away several more billions on a National Gun Registry program that will be terminated 'cause it needs an injection of close to that much more to get it beyond idle, a rough one at that.
We're not what you'd call the sharpest knife in the drawer when it comes down to determining where our priorities lie, but every now and then we too get pushed up against the limit of our tolerance. Like the time just a few weeks ago when the cost to play our biggest lottery was doubled to $2. The protests almost lasted 'til the start of Final Jeopardy.
Tim Horton's push into the U.S. is likely due to them selling out to the Wendy's gang a few years back. This probably accounts for the move away from being made fresh on location as well.
The big draw is their coffee. 3/4s of the people in our office would go without if we were to run out of TH coffee.

We now have some KK outlets here. People actually drove for miles and lined up when they first opened. And we allow these people to vote. Jeez.

PaulT

Supporting Actor

That's true. Probably the main reason Tim Horton's in appearing in the US is it was purchased by Wendy's (now you see TH/Wendy's popping up together in new malls in Canada).

TH used to have a great product as all their donuts were made fresh at each store. Since the Wendy's buyout they are now shipped premade/frozen from Ontario and other 'centers' to the stores and cooked/steamed (whatever) on site. Ain't technology grand. A Canadian tragedy and yet another sell out IMHO.

BTW Tim Horton was a Hockey player in Canada - go figure :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks