Dumb Question, TV to Receiver

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by HarryPluta, Feb 12, 2004.

1. HarryPluta

HarryPluta Auditioning

OK, I just unpacked my new Yamaha RX-V1400, I figured out how to hook up the VCR, and I think I understand how to hook up the DVD. What I don't get is how do I get audio from my TV into the receiver (I don't have cable or a dish, just straight broadcast TV)? I have audio outs on the TV, but where do I input them on the Yamaha?

Thanks in advance,
    -harry

2. Roy Wallace

Roy Wallace Stunt Coordinator

Hey Harry:
    I just looked at the operation manual on the Yamaha web site, and the diagram on page 18 shows a cable TV or satellite tuner connected to the cbl/sat inputs.
    I am sure that would work, but I am not familiar with Yamaha gear, so someone else may want to chime in.
    My Denon AVR 1604 has several analog audio inputs ( labelled tv/dds, vcr, aux, etc) to provide conection convenience.

You might have to assign the input in the receiver setup menu, and also turn the tv speakers off and/or the output on.

Hope this helps

Roy

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    I have a better idea, Harry. If your VCR is a stereo model, you can just use it as a TV tuner. That’s what I do.

Of course, if you want to tape a show and watch another, then Roy’s advice is good. Look for an appropriately labeled input – Video, TV/DBS. Stc. If not, any vacant input will work (except Phono). Just be sure you turn off the TV’s speakers.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt