dumb Brit question - what's a slam dunk?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by andrew markworthy, Mar 19, 2003.

1. andrew markworthy

I *think* I know the answer to this, but it's not in my dictionaries of idioms nor on a lot of the web pages I tried.

I know that a slam dunk is a spectacular basketball shot where the player jumps and drops/throws the ball down the hoop. However, from programmes (sorry 'programs') like Friends I also get the impression it means something else. My reading is that it means 'unambiguous'. However, am I wide of the mark?

2. Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer Screenwriter

I think you're pretty close. A slam dunk is when a basketball player jumps up and throws (dunks) the ball through the hoop. A "slam dunk" outside of a basketball context is something which is a certainty, a guarantee, a no doubter. A dunk, or slam dunk, is the highest percentage shot in basketball. Hope that helps.

3. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Supporting Actor

You are exactly right in basketball terms.

Also, it is American slang for an easy task. For example, I might say that winning a game of checkers on the beginner level is a "slam dunk."

Matt

Now you get to explain cricket!

4. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

No, you're not wide. An appropriate synonym might be "a sure thing" -- the theory being that, if a player is in a position literally to drop the ball into the basket, there's no doubt that it will go in.

EDIT: I agree with Matt, though, that the term has acquired a connotation of a task that's easy (like a "no brainer"). Ironic when you consider the basketball move that inspired it.

M.

5. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

6. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

"Slam Dunk" is also used in Golf, and is where the ball gets in the cup straight from the air without hitting the ground first. Hard to do though!

7. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

I've also heard it used similar to "Home Run" - as in a success. Like to say the meeting was a "Slam Dunk"- meaning it was very successful.

-Vince

8. Mitty

Mitty Supporting Actor

9. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

10. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Or "a done deal".

11. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

It can also mean that something is done with authority...

If you want to embarrass someone while playing them in basketball, then you dunk on them. Trust me on that one. I've been dunked on too many times. :b

12. andrew markworthy

Thanks for the info. guys.

13. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

For me, more a done deal than something that's easy, or something that was very successful.

14. Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer Screenwriter

Just thought it was ironic, all this talk of the ease of slam dunks, and in today's Gonzaga-Cincinnati NCAA game, the Zags missed two dunks at critical points. (I'm pretty sure both were in this game, but the games start to run together.)

15. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

andrew -

i have a reverse angle question for you.

it seems in a lot of foreign movies (set in england or europe in general) use the following word quite often.

c**t (rhymes with punt)

here, it seems to have a pretty negative connotation and you won't often find it used - at least not in the circles i hang out in. [​IMG]

anyway, is this just a movie thing or does the word really have a less "aggressive" connotation over there.

oh yeah. please forgive me if this is stupid question.

[​IMG]

16. John Thomas

John Thomas Cinematographer

Now, someone explain to me what a Badooka dunk is.

While you;re at it, what is "Ba-donka-donk-donk" and can you can handle it> [​IMG]

17. andrew markworthy

Ted, no, the word is just as offensive in the UK. It tends to be used for its shock value in some types of movies.

18. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    That's a very ancient word. It actually exists in my language too, but with a (slightly) different meaning (kont = "@ss", "behind", both male and female). It is not considered a good word, but not offensive as in the British use Andrew refers to. It can almost be used in civilized language (although still rather rude) in case of a ship or a horse, or as in "oh my, what an enormous...". Also more or less allowable in its diminutive form (in Dutch, like in German, most words have a diminutive of their own, in this case kontje) as in "pretty ...!" (lekker kontje!): again, both of males and females. More or less like the popular "tight @ss" in the US.

Cees

19. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

note to self: don't use it when visiting andrew...think carefully before using it around cees. [​IMG]

20. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    A slim customer...ahh very good. Now we are talking turkey, are we not? :p)