What's new

Duke Nukem Forever.... beyond a joke. (1 Viewer)

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
Almost nine years to the day after the start of this thread, Duke Nukem Forever has at last gone gold.

http://yfrog.com/h7j7qujhj

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Reviews have been harsh. Title says it all really:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/reviews/2011/06/duke-nukem-forever-review-barely-playable-unfunny-and-rampantly-offensive.ars

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I have it but haven't played it yet, but that's how the reviews were always going to go. One last swing at the whipping boy to prove we're cool. I'm only interested in other nuts like me who have played the original Duke from release until today. I made maps, followed the community "hi-res" updates, etc. Most--but not all--seem satisfied.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Um if you think Ben Kutchera, Joel Gerstman, and the Joystiq crew are all Johnny come latelies who are new to Duke and don't all have the history to back up what they are saying.... Just wow, there's nothing I can add to that

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
As Duke would say, don't get your panties in a bunch. I've never even heard of those guys. I criticize the critics in general. It's my Duke fanboy armor. :)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
OK, well I've played Duke since it was in 2D and I personally have no interest in straight corridor shooters or flinging shit at bathroom mirrors like a chimpanzee, so consider me in with those who think they're too cool for today's duke.

ArchMike

Agent
Real Name
Mike Alavane
I have no interest.

I haven't played PC games in forever, but the story of how this got screwed up interested me. I do wish someone would go back and remake another Gabriel Knight, or even an updated Phantasmagoria. Here I thought those kind of movie-type games would at least have some following. You'd think someone could do one for the PS3 or XBOX and have it sell.

But, that's why GOG.Com keeps getting my money ;) Cheap, and the games are ones I remember

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Wow that's a great find. I had never heard of GOG. That's pretty cool. I have looked for Alpha Centauri for a while, love that game. For $6? Hell yes.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I'm morbidly curious about DNF but won't pay full price for it. Maybe $20.

It seems that every review has been negative. The gaming community seemed pretty excited to see this game finally get released and the coverage was actually quite positive so I don't think this is a "beat up on the Duke" sort of mentality. The game very possibly (and probably) just sucks. Let's keep in mind that there might be a reason why it never was "finished" and that Gearbox wasn't setting out to make it good, but rather just get it released.

Maybe this is the punchline to the decade-plus long joke?

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by Sam Posten
GOG rules, totally DRM free.
SOB! This is the best thing I've found from a link on this forum in a while.. I setup an account to buy Alpha Centauri, checked my game library and they give you several free games.. including "Beneath a Steel Sky" which is a fantastic game I played way back when. This thread became totally worth it ;)

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I picked up Gobliiins for $2.99 for gog.com not long ago. The first 3 games in the series were included. Works great on W7 and still as fun (and frustrating) as it was before. Certainly can see why I never finished any of them.

DNR is a huge disappointment. somehow I don't think this will be it. Could the mod community fix it somehow? Or someone do a re-reboot of Duke in the near future?

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Originally Posted by ArchMike
I have no interest.
I haven't played PC games in forever, but the story of how this got screwed up interested me. I do wish someone would go back and remake another Gabriel Knight, or even an updated Phantasmagoria. Here I thought those kind of movie-type games would at least have some following. You'd think someone could do one for the PS3 or XBOX and have it sell.
But, that's why GOG.Com keeps getting my money ;) Cheap, and the games are ones I remember
L.A. Noire comes pretty close to those point and click style adventures. I've been obsessed with it since it's come out ha ha.
Duke didn't have a chance. There was absolutely no way it could live up to expectations. See Guns N' Roses "Chinese Democracy" for details. ;)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Also, thanks for the gog.com link too. Seeing some of those titles for the Sierra games like Police Quest send shivers up my spine. I never could finish them ha ha

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm not sure I played Duke Nukem 3D all the way through. I was a poor grad student then, rocking a 486 with no sound card. I played the heck out of the demo, but I'm not certain if I ever got to the full version. I recently re-played a few minutes with the Xbox Live demo, but in 2011 it wasn't much fun. Pixelated 2.5D shooters don't age well.

Quote: Originally Posted by ArchMike

Still doesn't have Deus Ex. That's the most important '90s game I've never played (IMO). A friend gave me a copy of it a few years ago, but it didn't run right in WinXP, so I gave that up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks