Due South is coming!

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by David Brent, Aug 15, 2002.

1. James Reader

James Reader Screenwriter

Help, I can't get the discs out of the holder! I'm afraid of breaking them - they are bending by a substantial amount when I try to remove them.

Any tips? Anyone?

2. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

Yes, the disc are very difficult to get out of the spindles. Press the spindle firmly and grab two or three sides of the discs. After the first time, they get easier to get out.

3. Tom C

Tom C Stunt Coordinator

Anyone watch any of the discs yet? How's the picture, sound, etc.?

4. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

I know the pilot was released on VHS.

5. Grant H

Grant H Cinematographer

Growl...Just got my set after waiting forever for DVDsoon to ship it, and what do you know? I pick up my package and (rattle, rattle.) Sh** I think. Sure enough. I opened it and disc 1 was freewheeling it. Maybe it hadn't been for too long because the scratches weren't too severe, but merry, 'tis enough. I don't know that any of the scratches would interfere with playback, but it makes me mad just the same. I could contact DVDsoon and have them replace it, but then I'd probably wait weeks for their return shipment. I think Alliance is partly to blame because of the funky packaging, so I logged onto their website, but their email seems to be down. I was hoping maybe I could get them to replace just disc 1 for me. I hate to send back the whole thing and risk another one (of the three)being loose. I remember this happening me with one (or maybe even both) Die Hard sets years ago. Seems to me I sent back my original trilogy set because 2 discs were loose (DH 1 and 2), and my replacement set had the third film loose. It wasn't badly scratched though so I gave up at that point.
    Luckily, the interior booklet for Due South prevented disc 1 from scratching the other 2.

6. James Reader

Grant - you had a disc loose in the packaging! I'm amazed. It took me over a day to get my discs off the hubs. They were so tight they they would bend alarmingly when I was trying to remove them and I was so worried about breaking them being as they are DVD-18 and DVD-14!

Even now, after being removed and replaced a number of times I think the hubs hold the discs too tight!

7. Grant H

Grant H Cinematographer

I agree the discs are nearly impossible to get out.

This makes me think that it was an assembly line error and the disc was never seated properly. I think even UPS would have had trouble busting them loose.
    Sadly, upon further inspection I realized the other 2 discs WERE scratched by Disc 1. I am returning them to DVD soon as a manufacturer's error (otherwise I'd have to go through the Canadian Post Office insurance). I supplied DVDsoon with my manufacturer error theory.
    I just hope they ship my replacements Canadian Xpress like when I ordered and not their basic shipping (which can be 4 to 6 weeks). Took long enough the first time round what with the release being delayed.

8. Bill Balcziak

Bill Balcziak Supporting Actor

9. Grant H

Grant H Cinematographer

Still waiting for my replacements to arrive.

From what I watched though, anyone else disappointed with the video? Looked a little "crushed" to me. (Not sure if that's the right term.)
    Kind of has like a grid texture to it all, at least fromw hat I saw of the first 2 episodes.
    I've observed this on early X-Files discs too. It may only be really noticeable on an HDTV display device however.

10. James Reader

11. James Reader

Season 2 is available to order from Amazon.ca now.

12. Corey_Smith

Corey_Smith Stunt Coordinator

Well, I've got the first two seasons, and now season 3 has been anounced for November 18th. However, here's the thing: Will Season 3 have the full 26 hours worth that were in the US syndication package purchased by TNT, or will it be divided up into two seasons as it was done in Canada? I'm hoping it will be one big season just to finish it off. Then we need the Pilot episode on DVD. If anyone has any details, it would be greatly appreciated.

13. James Reader

Somebody of another forum (the UK based DVDforums) indicated season 3 would be the final release and it will include the Pilot epoisode as an extra.
    Not sure where he got this information from, it wasn't stated anywhere in his post.

14. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

Isn't the third season with the other "Ray". If so, I'm not sure I will be purchasing this season. Although, it is tempting with the pilot epidsode included.

15. Jeff Swearingen

Jeff Swearingen Second Unit

Jeff
    Any word on if this will be released eventually in the US?

16. James Reader

Has no one else spotted this - the pilot episode on DVD?!?!
    Due South: Call of the Wild [IMPORT]
    http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000CD5JP/
    Synopsis
    This Canadian made-for-television movie spawned the popular series about a crime-fighting Royal Canadian Mountie. Paul Gross stars as Constable Benton Frasier, an RCMP who sets out to track down his father's killer. His chase takes him all the way to Chicago where he hooks up with Ray Vecchio, (David Marciano) a macho, local Chicago detective. Together they hit the streets as a crime-fighting and justice-seeking duo. ~ Bernadette McCallion, All Movie Guide

17. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Doesn't seem to be there anymore, James.

18. James Reader

It's greyed out on my order history, but it's not been cancelled!

19. Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck Screenwriter

Bryan Tuck

20. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

According to Amazon.ca there is a VHS tape available of Due South: The Pilot and Call of the Wild. These appear to be two different shows, but are not listed as available on DVD.