What's new

dubbing from VHS to DVD (1 Viewer)

Iver

Second Unit
What problems, if any, will one encounter "taping" on a DVD recorder with a VHS deck tape as the input source?

Paul Mor

Stunt Coordinator
I tried to record some of my kids videos (not videos of my kids), but my DVD recorder didn't allow it because of the copyright. I was pretty bummed because I have a DVD player in my car and was planning to record lots of videotapes for playback in the car.

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
I had that problem, too, not with pre-recorded VHS tapes (which I didn't dub) but with a VHS tape I'd made from a DVD. When I tried to go back to DVD, I got the "protected material" warning. That's fair, I guess.

I had one bad DVD out of 30.

I had a blast dubbing about 70 old movies and freeing up lots of linear feet of shelf space!

Jan

Iver

Second Unit
Thanks guys. I should have clarified that I meant regular, blank VHS tapes to which sources such as news broadcasts (Frontline in particular) have been recorded. Any problem going from a home-recorded tape of a (presumably) not copy protected broadcast program to a DVD recorder (R or RW)?

-- Iver

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
No, it shouldn't present a problem. I've transferred over some TV shows I had on VHS to my Pioneer 420 and Toshiba XS-32. It's always better to have a recorder with a hard drive so you can just let your VHS tape run and you can do any necessary editing later before burning to -R or -RW.

If your tapes aren't in the best of condition, some models of recorders (like certain Pioneers) are more sensitive and MAY black out at the bad spots.

Kenny WH

Stunt Coordinator
You shouldn't have any problems. Just a matter of queing up the vhs tape and starting the dvd burner.

Last week I picked up a LG lry-517. It is combo dvd/vhs recorder. It was a nice trip down memory lane as we dubbed the vhs tapes to dvd.:) I was surprised at how well the dvd's turned out considering some of the vhs tapes were over twenty years old. Of course I was burning them at the highest quality which limits recordings to an one hour. They looked as good, maybe even a little better than the vhs version. I've still got a ton more tapes to do and I'm looking forward to the renewed memories.

Have fun!!

RobertEusebius

Auditioning
I read a reviwe in Maximum PC yesterday on a Turtle Beach Video Advantage USB that will digitize analog composite or S Video along with stereo audio, encoding the signals to digital in real time. $130. Received a rating of 9, Kick Ass.

Seems like a nice way to set your VCR next to your computer, digitize the VHS tapes, and then rip them to a DVD. They did mention the video editing software left much to be desired.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
A reminder - we do not condone the discussion of circumventing copy protection of VHS tapes or DVDs for dubbing purposes.

RobertEusebius

Auditioning
Pat,

Not sure if your post was just a timing issue or if you were reading more into my post than what was there. The device I mentioned made no reference to altering any signal nor any software whatsoever. The device is simply an external DAC with female RCA plugs.

Hope I'm not being too senitive here, just seemed odd the post came minutes after the addition of my post. My apologies in advance if it's simply a timing issue. If not, please let me know you or the board admin folks felt my post was in any way "borderline". I will leave never to return if this is the case. Pelase let me know. It would be a bit over the top for my tastes.

With respect,

Robert

Doug Brewster

Second Unit
There is a video stabilization mode on some JVC VCR's that some DVDR's read as copy protection. Don't know if this is a problem with other makers VCR's, but be aware of the JVC's. This stabilization can be turned off, but if you don't know it's there, it can drive you nuts when you copy your home made videos to DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks