What's new

DualDisc Unveiled to Retailers (1 Viewer)

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I think I will stick with DVD-A and SACD and boycott this stupid idea. How is this any different from some recent CD releases with bonus DVDs? It isn't.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member

Am I the only person around here who buys based on the music, not the format?

Some of the music on DualDisc will not be available on DVD-A or SACD. To 'boycott' these releases seems like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

SACD, DVD-A, DualDisc, I'll buy whatever format has the artists/albums I like. I'll continue to buy all three...

Brian L

Senior HTF Member

Its different than a CD with a bonus DVD in that it may have hi-rez on the DVD side, and if it does, that would be of great value to me. I already have a couple DVD-A's (Porcupine Tree for example) that I would love to rip to Redbook to play in the car, and further, rip to AAC for the iPod.

But other than doing an analog dub, I don't know how I could take the 2CH hi-rez tracks and copy to redbook. So, if a DD were to include hi-rez DVD-A and Redbook, I would be very, very interested. after all, thats the big advantage I see with hi-brid SACD...I get redbook and hi-rez on one disc.

But I digress. I certainly do agree that the media does not matter, but how that media is used does. Yes, the music comes first, but next in line is how that music is presented, and the overall sound quality that the new media delivers. As has been said so many times, it has to be hi-rez MC on the DVD side. DD or DTS doesn't cut it.

However, the list of titles announced is not what I would expect of a label actively promoting a new format. everyone has differing tastes, but for me, there is not one single title on that list that screams "Buy Me". In fact, there is nothing there that is even whispering "buy me". Of course, YMMV.

BGL

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez

With the exception of Sony titles, DualDiscs will reportedly have hi-res content on the dvd side, which I will of course confirm back here when I get the final discs.

My contact at DTS Entertainment tells me they have no plans at this time to release their titles in DualDisc format, so Porcupine Tree will remain as is for now

Cheers,

AricB

Second Unit
Felix, has your contact mentioned anything about what new titles they have coming up. I read there is supposed to be some kind of future release announcement coming up by DTS??

Kris Deering

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kris Deering
EMI has been collaberating with DTS and DTS informed me at CEDIA that EMI will be announcing those titles here shortly. Part of the DTS Signature Series for EMI.

As for the concerns about DualDiscs getting stuck in your player, don't worry about it. I have about 6 of them already (I live near Seattle, which was one of the test markets). I have tried them in every player I have and haven't had an issue yet. Neither have my friends. Both of my cars have in dash players, one of them is a changer. The discs worked flawlessly.

I jumped on some of the DualDiscs including POD in full DVD-A. I picked up some Sony releases but they weren't in high rez, only Dolby 5.1. All the other companies had high rez including Warner, Universal, EMI, and BMG.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member

Maybe the result of that deal with EMI? I hope so because EMI has soooooooo much good music in their vaults................

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
"Am I the only person around here who buys based on the music, not the format?

Some of the music on DualDisc will not be available on DVD-A or SACD. To 'boycott' these releases seems like cutting off your nose to spite your face."

Not in the slightest. I personally know a couple of people who had problems with hardware getting jammed. One was a car player that I saw 1st hand. Fortunately both managed to avoid repair costs and the discs came out. I don't recall what discs or what hardware and it may very well be very ltd. (perhaps a bad batch of discs in combination with particular hardware or who knows I know that they got them from some type of mail order as there was no trial where I am). I buy based on the music not the format (prefer hi-rez vs. CD) but as I noted I always have a decent backlog of discs and don't care to be a guinea pig for the ltd. trials that were conducted. Once there are no reported problems over a period of time to my satisfaction I have not problem trying some discs that have DVD-A which I do not have. Until then, I'm going to enjoy the music, not the format, on things that won't be potentially prone to the same problems.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
The record companies do not have exactly a stellar record with releasing material on SACD and DVD-A. I personally do not see that changing with dual-Disc. I refuse to support another format until they fix the root cause for *all* high res formats so far: marketing.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I too, buy the music for the music, not the format, though I wish DVD-As came with CDs rather than this DualDisc format (if we must have hybrids of one sort or another). As to which format is better, so far I find both better than CDs (for the most part, notwithstanding some bad mastering/mixing choices) but I'm hard pressed to choose between SACD and DVD-A as far as better sound (perhaps a higher end system than my Marantz DV6400, Integra DTR 6.4 and Boston Acoustics VR-M series speakers would allow me to pick out a winner, but I think my gear is sufficiently revealing).

cwhite

Second Unit
If the record companies want widespread acceptance of this new format, the forthcoming new Eminem and U2 albums should be on that release list.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Charles, I agree. Whatever format the record cos. decide on, they need to be united on it and put current popular releases on it. I love back catalog stuff and it's nice, but won't make any format mainstream. Audiophiles buy music, but they are not the majority of the people who buy music.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
They also need to quit making stupid mistakes like releasing The Allman Brothers Band Live at Fillmore East on high res without all the extra tracks now available on remastered CDs.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Now why would they want to avoid mistakes like that? :rolleyes:Warner's did the same with Rumours. The DVD-A has some interesting extras but the remastered CD has many more. In my days as a carefree single guy, I might have "double-dipped" but with the extra responsibilities of a new house and a family, such frivolous spending on my part has, if not entirely disappeared, greatly diminished.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Let's face it, record cos. do double dip. Their best customers probably buy the double dip stuff and then they'll issue another version. Just look at the current Beatles box stuff. Why not DVD-A, SACD or even DualDisc. With the way Pet Sounds was done on DVD-A with mono, stereo and surround, the old Beatles catalog stuff could have done that way, made a nice splash of publicity too. If they do hi-rez 6 mos. down the road, I'm sure that a good portion who bought the box set won't be thrilled.

MatS

Screenwriter

Silverline release schedule

11/2
- Blondie "The Curse Of Blondie"
- Josh One "Narrow Path"
- The Hiss "Panic Movement"
- The Nutcracker performed by the Utah Symphony Orchestra conducted by Maurice Abravanel
- Big Band Christmas
- Classic Christmas: London Symphony
- Handel's Messiah: London Symphony
- Blues Traveler "Truth Be Told"
- Living Colour "Collideoscope"
- Widespread Panic "Don't Tell The Band"
- Widespread Panic "Ball"
- Jane Monheit "Never Never Land"
- Jane Monhiet "Come Dream With Me"
- Roy Ayers "Live At Ronnie Scott's"
- Curtis Mayfield "Live At Ronnie Scott's"
- Taj Mahal "Live At Ronnie Scott's"
- Geoff Tate "Geoff Tate"
- Queensryche "Tribe"
- Robert Cray "Time Will Tell"
- Gary Moore "Back To The Blues"
- Joey Ramone "Don't Worry About Me"
- The Mavericks "The Mavericks"
- Lynryd Skynrd "Then And Now"
- Styx "Cyclorama"
- Tipper "Surrounded"

11/16
- Gary Numan "Anthology"
- The Fixx "1011 Woodland"
- Ministry "Animositisomina"
- Ministry "Sphinctour"
- Poncho Sanchez "Poncho At Montreux"
- Songs Of The Auvergne
- Handel: The Water Music, Music For The Royal Fireworks: Johannes Somary conducts the English Chamber Orchestra
- Gustav Mahler: Symphony No. 5: Maurice Abravanel conducts the Utah Symphony Orchestra
- Bob Marley & The Wailers "Soul Rebels"
- Bob Marley & The Wailers "African Herbsman"
- Dar Williams "The Beauty Of The Rain"
- Dar Williams "The Green World"
- Big Head Todd And The Monsters "Crimes Of Passion"
- Brides Of Destruction "Here Come The Brides"
- 38 Special "Live At Strurgis"
- Bruce Dickinson "Balls To Picasso"
- COC "America's Volume Dealer"
- Dokken "Erase The Slate"
- Jack Bruce "Shadows In The Air"
- Eddie Money "Shakin' With The Money Man"
-

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks