What's new

DualDisc Unveiled to Retailers (1 Viewer)

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member

Who cares about the audiophiles?

The real money is in mass consumer market, which is what DualDisc is aiming for. Audiophiles aren't going to help the music industry stop their huge slide.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
There is also a live concert dvd of the same title which contains songs from that album and many from their earlier ones. Very well done. Sorry, didn't notice Mark beat me to it.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee

I believe it is important to get the audiophiles on board because they are early adopters and could get excited and propel sales early. This would build momentum in advance of the more average consumer buying in.

They are also influential in terms of word of mouth. They can get the word out quickly and influence the decisions of many others.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D

The 5.1 track on the Dave Matthews Band Central Park Concert on DVD was surprisingly one of the best 5.1 mixed live concerts I've ever heard on dvd

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Here's my take on it, coming from a consumer who would love to have hi-rez audio but can only afford a standard DD/DTS setup:

I love multichannel music. I know some of it is atrociously mixed, but when it's done right, it opens up a whole new world of listening to music. The thing is, because of my situation I'm limited to DVD-A recordings since they include either a DD or DTS track in addition to the hi-rez tracks. Sometime down the road, if I come up with the money for a new dvd player and a new reciever, then I'll already own some hi-rez discs. However, I can still enjoy the music right now. What has been holding DVD-A up so far, IMO, is that in order to have both a standard cd and a DVD-A in the same package, you have to have two discs (ala The Flaming Lips' YOSHIMI BATTLES THE PINK ROBOTS album). If the DualDisc format is handled the way that hybrid CD/SACD discs have been handled, i.e. the same price as a regular cd, then I can definitely see the format catching on. Right now, folks have a hard time justifying the asking price for a cd. The multi-channel component would add enough value to convince folks who are on the fence to dive in. This could be the start of the end of the format war. For one, I'll be glad to see it end so that we can start getting more releases.

--In no way do I mean to offend those folks who prefer SACD. I'm just chiming in from more of a "typical consumer" standpoint. Cheers!

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee

Even as a big fan of SACD, I agree with this post. I think offering extra features for the same price of a CD is the best way to get this format launched.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I think the Wecord Kompanies better think in terms of offering alot of extras on whatever format/s, that emerge, and the same price, or less, as CD prices if they expect to have any chance of retaining their customers. When I saw the list price, $24.99, of Bonnie Raitt's DVD-A, I just went, UUUUUGH. :frowning:

The Wecord Kompanies, for so long, were always able to raise prices with only a minimum of fuss. Well, IMO, those days ended about 10 years ago. They don't want to face the music, do they?;)

The nebulous dayz R over, me thinks...

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
Hi Folks -

FYI...I just got this preliminary info on the DualDisc rollout this Fall, beginning October 19. A formal press release should follow and I'll post back here with more info as I get it...

Note: this is a partial list.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
It's a stupid format with CD Redbook on one side and DVD-V on the other. It may be the death knell for SACD and DVDA.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil

I coulnd't agree more and don't intend to be a guinea pig to see if it ends up getting stuck in any piece of hardware I have (home or car). I wish them all the luck in the world but if it comes to a choice of a DualDisc or a separate CD, I'll either buy the CD or if they is a DVD-V concert by the artist of the same stuff, I'll consider that instead. I always have a backlog of music to listen to and if the format is around a few yrs. down the road and there are no reported problems (to my satisfaction) and there is real DVD-A content on one side I may consider trying one.

Will, that is the problem with all of the new formats, ltd. titles. I like the back catalog stuff but if they remain as niche formats sooner or later I'm going to reach a point where I either have stuff I don't need to re-buy or am not interested in what's available. The music industry needs to sit in a room and listen to consumers and come out with a format that will be supported by all of them on all releases or at least a good chunk of the current stuff that is being bought by the public.

AricB

Second Unit
As far as I know the specs for Dual Disc, has ALWAYS stated that DVD_A compatibility is possible, just not necessarily standard as with the bowie disc, but a lot of those titles are silverline, and I would bet they will be DVD-A one side, and CD the other: geoff tate, ministry, living colour to name a few.

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez

I was told that the only company not putting hi-res (only Dolby Digital) on the DVD side is Sony, but I have yet to see the final discs.

Once I get my paws on 'em, I will post my comments.

Cheers,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks