What's new

DualDisc Unveiled to Retailers (1 Viewer)

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member

Not heavier hitters to us. Heavier hitters to the mainstream, who never would have noticed the SACDs. DualDisc looks to actually have marketing behind it, unlike SACD and DVD-A.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee

Far too early IMHO to make this statement. Let's see what happens. As Paul as pointed out, they don't even have the web site working yet....this is no way to build buzz among the digirati.

Really want to make an impression? Get Macca to allow the Beatles out with hirez and video!

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member

Yeah, but never far to early to predict that high-res will be absent (you have nothing to base that on), and that incompatility problems will endanger the format.

Early statements are always allowed, when they are negative and fit Lee's agenda.

Let us remember the last new format whose launch was accompanied be press releases from all five labels, and with a forthcoming title from a major artist expected to sell a millionunits? No matter how one feels about DualDisc, it's pretty obvious to us rational folks that DualDisc has a bigger marketing effort behind it than we've seen from DVD-A and SACD. Are you actually predicting otherwise?

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
Its going to be interesting to see what kind of reaction the public has, and even more interesting to hear how misleading Best Buy employee's will be with this product.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member

It all depends on whether the kiosks used in the test markets will be used nationwide. If they are, no problem - everyone will know what is on these discs.

I wonder if BestBuy's recent elimination of their DVDA section was in preparation for this roll out?

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
It'll be intresting if the general public has any reaction at all. Us digirati may be about it...? I don't think the general public gives a shite about surround sound music or much, if any, of the "value added" video content. IMO, what the public really wants is a good, cheap, stereo, $5 music disc. Come to ponder that...they might not even really care much 'bout that either?

Will_B

Senior HTF Member

Strongly disagree. Many students and even teens have surround systems in their bedrooms/dormrooms (due to DVDs). Back in the 90s this was rare. Today, it's a status thing.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Forgive me for Downing M/C music. It's just that I've seen it fail once before. Even though I like it, I have no confidence in it. :b

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Will:

I doubt that BB would eliminate DVD-A in speculative anticipation of DualDisc product supposedly streeting in October. That downsizing of BB's DVD-A commitment has been going on for about six weeks. Six weeks ago, we didn't even have a DD rollout date and I don't think the labels communicated anything to retail that consumers didn't hear about. There are a few Music area HTFers who are "Blue Shirts" and I would think one of them might have chimed in by now if they had heard something, say, 2 months ago about a tempering of DVD-A support due to impending DD arrival.

Also, this issue was discussed thoroughly in another thread (and I can't recall which after a day's trying to remember) but BB has not eliminated DVD-A. Different guys in different parts of the country are reporting different things. Your comment intimates BB removed DVD-A from stores and that's not the case--there's been no corporate-level edict. Some people's stores have moved the DVD-A product, others have eliminated DVD-A in favor of more SACD.

Went to one of the three WLA BBs Friday night and can unfortunately confirm that they are obviously not restocking any DVD-As. But the section is still there--just less stuff and nothing new (but there have been scant new major releases . . . but Sting's Sacred Love DVD-A was there but was not the last time I went to this store. Interestingly, they seem to have reduced the price on some major titles to $14.99; could swear Shania's Up! was $17.99 before, now she's $14.99 (unfortunately single-discers only seem to have been reduced--would be nice to get GYBR and Tommy for $14.99!).

On that note, I am anxious to see what the pricing of DD is gonna be like.

-p

Jesper

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jesper Nielsen
It might be off topic - but, DVD Audio council homepage has been updated. In fact redone. :)

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
DVD-A at Best Buy in Cincinnati is the same as it has been for the last couple of years.

Alive but not restocked very well (and SACD is the same).

No signs of any format being eliminated here.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
There is an interesting update on DualDisc at Stereophile's site today:

http://www.stereophile.com/news/083004dualdisc/

"Discs from Blondie, Blues Traveler, Queensryche, the London Symphony, and others are expected in the first batch from Silverline, while the second set should include albums from Todd Rundgren, Bob Marley & The Wailers, Ministry, Dar Williams, The Fixx, The Pogues, Gary Numan, Eddie Money, and others."

It seems to be supportive of Rachael's view that maybe consumers want just a less expensive CD product.

I think at the very least, it has to be competitive with CD. But why not make it less expensive? There is a lot profit built into every CD price. Why not establish a $10 or $12 (as opposed to $15) selling point and make more profits on volume?

That way you get more foot traffic into stores and change the dynamic of the music selling business.

I think a large number of consumers would be attracted to a $10 disc with video and hirez features big time.

Otherwise I wonder if this new format will not reach its full potential. There needs to be a "Wow!" or "Gee Whiz" factor. At $10 even WalMart and Target get excited and these guys move plenty of product.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Thx, Lee.

The Stereopile (ahem) article's mention of releases from The Fixx and Queensryche by Silverline has me speculating that those will be the same titles Silverline released on DVD-A for those acts: 1011 Woodland and Tribe, respectively.

Tiresomely enough, Silverine's been good at apparently getting rights to non-seminal titles and live albums by significant acts for DVD-A release. Of course, it's better than nothing but I'd certainly rather see studio album's released on DVD-A for several of the artists Silverline has released From the Front Row . . . Live! discs for. And I certainly prefer original albums on DVD-A to what might be the 're-purposing'/regurgitating of some of these DVD-As on Dual with probably minimal supplemental video content.

-p

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Paul, agree with you. Live albums are so easy to remix into surround - just toss some audience noise in back and call it a day. This doesn't impress. This was why I was miffed to hear that the next two David Bowie surrounds are simply the DAVID LIVE and the other live one, STAGE. It's too easy. Plus I tend not to listen to live albums too often. :)

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
It's true most live concerts aren't mixed very well, but there are a few gems out there. The Eagles-Hell Freezes Over, Toto in Amsterdam, Steely Dan-Two Against Nature and my latest find, Boz Scaggs Greatest Hits Live is very well done (though many of my favorite songs are not included :frowning: ). But I too would prefer more studio albums released in m/c. But you gotta take what you can get.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks