What's new

DualDisc may not be "all that" according to this (1 Viewer)

Philip Morello

Auditioning
Now that you mention it, took me about 13 mins to rip and burn my Brothers In Arms DD to a cd, which is about 4 times slower then usual.[Nero6]
However my old Elite player had no problem to read it and play it with the same speed as any other cds I have.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
In another thread I mentioned wanting to hear Massive Attack's music in surround form. I'm sure this release won't have that, but it does include a DualDisc but amazingly, this DD will actually have video content worth watching, *16* videos to be exact.

Massive Attack's Collected CD+DualDisc package

BTW: I did a search back to 2003 on that site for sacd ("sacd" & "sa-cd") and dvd-audio: got six results for sacd and nine for dvd-audio. Bummer. Shows how those formats are really creating an industry buzz. :rolleyes::frowning:

Ralph B

Supporting Actor
I have not bought one dualdisc, even at yourmusic $5.99 I wont buy into it.

they got it right the firsty time with sacd and dvd-a. they can co-exist. they just didnt market it. it will be back. what are they gonna do try another format ? lol i dont think so.

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard

I don't think there is any chance both of these formats could co-exist although I do like both. There just isn't enough market since CD is good enough for most everybody. I hope you are right about one or both making a comeback but I think the chances are less than slim.

Chris

Will_B

Senior HTF Member

And I did a search this week for affordable DVD players that also play SACD and DVDA. There's only two - the relatively old Pioneer DV-588 and a new Samsung DVD-HD950. So even if someone wanted to get into these formats, they'd have to hunt.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
And if that Samsung is anything like its predecessor in terms of build quality and overall design, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Thank God my Pio 563A is still dutifully spinnin' discs. Most quality SACD/DVD-A players, like the Denon 2900, are at price points I'm not willing to pay given the imminence of Blu-ray and HD DVD. But that's a whole 'nother can of worms.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
Could someone explain why a dual disc could not be made in the same fashion as a sacd-hybrid? I am assuming, of course, that the technical deficiencies of the dualdisc are not applicable to the sacd-hybrid...

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Maybe because if the DVD layer and the CD layer were both readable from the same side, the DVD player wouldn't know which layer to play (since DVD players can play both DVDs and CDs).

Whereas with SACD, that's not a problem because SACD required entirely new equipment which could be set to prefer the SACD layer (or to give the user the option to choose between the layers).

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
A dvd-audio/CD hybrid was actually tried out (IIRC Toshiba did this), but it wouldn't work consistantly on different dvd players.

from this page:

The Dvd Forum's homepage.*

Sony & Philips own the rights to the "good" dvd/CD hybrid system, but obviously they aren't going to allow their competitors to use it too.

* notice how there is no mnetion of Blu-Ray? Though I am not exactly sure what that means.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
The 588 isn't that old. I think it's been out about a year or so. Pio typically has 2 year cycles for its players.

Plus, there *would* be more cheap universal players ... if there were people to buy them. Free market economics. :)

In fact, about 4 months ago or so, I saw some blurb about Denon specifically *not* making their new cheaper DVD players universal machines because they said that most people in the market for a cheaper player don't care that much about SACD and/or DVD-A/DualDisc.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
More proof DualDisc is becoming unpopular with the labels.

From Musictap (my emphasis):

I wish I could get excited about this, because I like Kansas and own 2 of their albums......but I can't. :frowning: For me this is just another "classic" rock release with music played over and over on corporate radio stations & unless it's priced reeeeeeally low I won't be buying it. At least for loyal Kansas fans this won't be a DualDisc. :emoji_thumbsup:

Anybody else think a Parliament album like this would be a blast in surround? I would buy this in a second, in any format.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Lance,The George Clinton album I think would be good fodder is the Brides Of Funkenstein album Never Buy Texas From A Cowboy. I don't think it's even been on CD yet. The Brides are 3 vocalists who appeared on so many Parliament/Funkadelic, Bootsy, and Eddie Hazel albums.

The silly opening monolog of Parliament's The Clones Of Dr. Funkenstein would seem a natural for M/C mixing too. As an album, it's along the same lines as the one you picked....but what a cute intro.

Well, we might as well dream on.......

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member

That was from at least a year, if not more, ago. Denon has since returned with its 1920 universal player.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Kevin, that's a notion I've had all along. Most SACD's and DVD-A's either have, were or are "minted" in vastly lower numbers than CD's. ...same for today's new LP's. So, most titles will be scarce. Future demand, well that's the question. Will the future demand only files, or what???

I know I have alot of rare Sack-Dee's. It doesn't matter to me if they're collectable to anybody else. I didn't buy them to speculate on. Rare doesn't make collectable, but when the two get together, you get the kind of prices you see on used Mofi's and DCC's.

Mofi SA-CD's sure look like they're gonna be rarer than the older titles as they're not as widely distributed as before.

Pink Floyd may be common as mud on hi-rez but little else is....

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
Enhanced Stereo is misleading. I have a Mudvayne DualDisc and the DVD portion IIRC is 48 kHz/16 bit Dolby Digital. That doesn't scream higher resolution than the PCM side. Don't forget that Dolby Digital and DTS, as good as they may sound for movies and music, are just glorified .mp3s. I bought the DualDisc because it was a dollar cheaper than it's CD counterpart.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
I also sort of thought of the same thing when I read that, but hey, that's what the Internet is for! You can go to Yahoo or to Rhino's cool Retro Vid page and watch lots of videos (which I *do* like, as long as some care was put into making them). As some wise man said somewhere "When life gives you lemons, make lemonade." And at least these lemons always play.....or something like that. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks