What's new

Dual Zone Receiver. (1 Viewer)

UHF/VHF

Auditioning
Real Name
Paul
Hello. I am as un-tech as they come. Am looking to set up surround in small living room and two speakers outside for deck. I would LIKE to spend $400 or less for receiver. From reading some forums it looks like I need a 7.1 dual zone.

I am only running a blu-ray (Sony with adapter to wireless router) and sat. receiver (Direct TV) into JVC 47" 1080p.

Apologies in advance but I am not looking to rattle my fillings or shake the rafters. Just want better sound than from tv's speakers (mostly watch kids movies as the little ones are home all summer).

I want 5.1 surround in living room. I also want to listen to music on deck without having to play music inside. Hence the need for dual zone.

I have found online an Onkyo TX-NR515 7.2-Channel Network A/V Receiver for $328 brand new.

Is this what I am looking for? Specs say Multi-Zone Playback....Powered Zone 2, Zone 2 Lineout.

Again just looking for good sound system with seperate zone for deck. Theater-in-box would be OK.

Also suggests to purchase Onkyo UWF-1 Wireless LAN Adapter with receiver. Do I need this since blu-ray is wireless?

Read some reviews on-line (124-5 star, 40-1 star) seems they were having HDMI port trouble and firmware problems. Every item on-line gets good and bad reviews. Who do you believe?

Any thoughts are much appreciated.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The 515 does what you need. Onkyo sells the most, they have the most failures. As long as you buy it authorized, you have a 2yr warranty. Refurbs have less warranty(if buying from A4L).

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
The only other consideration with multi-zone operation (and Sam usually mentions this) is that only analog connections are output for the second zone.

So, if you use HDMI to connect all of your devices to the receiver, you will ALSO need to run analog connections for any of those devices you may want to listen to via zone 2.

For instance, if you want to use your Blu-ray player to play CDs for Zone 2, you will need a second connection (red/white analog RCA's) from the Blu-ray player to to a separate input (CD?) on the Onkyo.

UHF/VHF

Auditioning
Real Name
Paul
Thanks for the green light and the heads up on the RCA cables. Now just need to find some decent speakers for the living room and I will be all set. Any suggestions on some reliable ones that won't break the bank?

UHF/VHF

Auditioning
Real Name
Paul
Trying not to spend more than $500-$600 on surround system. If receiver is $328 that leaves me about $172-$272 approximately. As stated earlier just small living room approx. 15'x18'.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Here you go...BIC DV62BIC DV52BIC DV52CLRSThat there, minus a sub, is under $300. The DV62 is a healthy enough speaker that you can make due without it for a while. If you want to spend even less, 2 pairs of 52.But usually, you spend 75% of your ENTIRE budget on speakers. AVR+BD+streaming device+gaming device+"whatever else you got"=your speaker budget. Why?Cause if you buy them right, once, you'll have them 25-125 years(meaning your great grandkids will be using them).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks