Dual subwoofers

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Andrew Pezzo, Mar 19, 2003.

1. Andrew Pezzo

Andrew Pezzo Second Unit

I have seen in a few magazines when reviewing speakers that they sometimes hook up 2 subs. My questions is how do they do that? When I bought my sub (Energy S8.2) I was living in a small place. I have the opportunity to get another S8.2 for under $100 and since I live in a bigger place I want to get it. I have a Denon AVR 3803 with Energy Connoisseur speakers (C-7's for front, C-1 for rears, and C-C3 is on the way). I appreciate any help I can get on this.

2. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

An RCA "y" adapter from the sub out, or at the sub end of the sub cable - do the Y there if they are to be stacked to save cable expense.

3. Andrew Pezzo

Andrew Pezzo Second Unit

The only thing I could think of was splitting the sub output on the receiver but that seemed to easy to me, guess I was on to something. That being said I also thought having one sub connected through a low level connection and the other a high level connection was a way to do it but that seemed wrong also.

That makes me wonder about the quality of the signal being sent, I would think splitting it would cause a bit of signal loss.

4. Bob Kavanaugh

Bob Kavanaugh Second Unit

I split my subwoofer out with no noticable signal loss. I just went to radio-shack and picked up a gold series splitter for 5.99. (This will not be a problem when my STR-DA2ES arrives... I CAN'T WAIT!)

5. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

Depending on the sub, many have line level outputs as well as inputs, so you could just "daisy chain" the two subs. IE, receiver to sub 1, sub 1 to sub 2.

Hope this helps [​IMG]

6. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

You are better off Y splitting at the sub out. There is no signal loss - the voltage is identical at both leads. There can be (but not always) a signal degradation associated with daisy chaining.

Regards,

Ed

7. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

There should be plenty of juice from the receiver's sub out to compensate for the small voltage drop in splitting the signal. Since they are identical subs, try to set their volume knobs the same. That way, you're getting equal output from the pair and not working one more than the other. This will ensure you're getting the most output possible from the two.

8. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Andrew,

9. John H

John H Second Unit

10. Aaron Garman

Aaron Garman Second Unit

I've actually come across some luck and now have a JBL PB10 in addtion to my PB12. I'm using both with a monster cable sub cable that has a Y splitter with it. The question is, am I better off turning their volumes all the way and setting the volume from my Yammie HTR-5280 or should I set the Yammie to full for the sub and adjust volume at the sub? Thanks!

AJG

11. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

I would set the Yamaha to it's mid level and then adjust from the subwoofer.