What's new

Dual subwoofers....8" + 15" (1 Viewer)

Benihana

Stunt Coordinator
Is there anyway to split the signal between subs? I have an 8" subwoofer that is flat to about ~27hz, and i want to incorporate an adire tempest 15" to cover the duties below that. How would this setup be possible without buying any expensive equipment? my receiver does have decent bass management and has mcacc and crossover points of 50/80/120...etc. but that is only good for one sub. is there any inline crossovers i can put between each sub to filter out the frequencies?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You are probably best off just using the Tempest and selling the other one, or using it in another system. Otherwise, you can just use a basic, cheap RCA splitter and run it to both subs.

Benihana

Stunt Coordinator
well the tempest is hidden in the closet as the box is like 48x20x20, i just want it to play the lowest frequencies since the location isn't the best...i think anything above like 35-40hz it will just boom in its current location.

Benihana

Stunt Coordinator
after lots of testing frequencies below 35hz sound the same in my room with that sub in any location including closet, but higher than that is where they start sounding different pending where the sub is located.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Is the door to the closet open? It's easy to split the sub frequencies to 2 subs - just buy a crossover. A lot of people use Behringer. You can even use a car audio crossover with an AC to DC power converter.
without buying any expensive equipment?
What is expensive? There are in-line passive filters like the F-mod but they aren't accurate. What's your budget?

Benihana

Stunt Coordinator
The way my bedroom is layed out, my big closet is located on the left side and its pretty much whole length of the left wall...and I position my sub in the way front so its still basically a front corner load as the closet doors are not really air tight...it sounds the same as if it were out of the closed but in the same corner load position. I was looking at the F-mods....what is their biggest pitfall? Which model of behringer are you referring to? Thanks. Ben

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The F-mod frequency is based on the amp's input resistance. If Harris Labs set the frequency up based on a 20K ohm resistance and your amp only had a 10K ohm resistance on the input stage then your cut-off frequency would change. Behringer crossovers - http://www.americanmusical.com/ItemSearch--search-Behringer-Crossover--srcin-1?src=Y0802G00SRCHCAPN&gclid=CMiO98H9vasCFYjt7Qoda0tfzg

Benihana

Stunt Coordinator
yeah I was reading up on the FMODs, sounds easy but I don't like introducing passive filters into the loop. I am able to purchase the cx2310 for roughly $75 so thats not that bad, plus like $5 for all xlr/rca converters... How easy is the setup ? I'm trying to achieve a similar scenario to hsu's MBM midbass module...I want to effectively crossover the 8" sub to 40hz and the 15" to like 35-40 hz to minimize overlap. The only other question I have is about the autoeq MCACC in my receiver...I understand that the receiver will not support 2 subs in its auto calibration, but will it be able to at least adjust for the overall bass sound its getting at the mic? how do people with identical subwoofers not in the same location deal with this issue?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Make sure the subs are the same distance from your mic. I'd go as far as measuring from cone to mic to be 100% sure. That will take care of the phase issue. You will need to dial in the output of the 2 subs so that it is balanced. Or use a program like REW or the tried and true Radio Shack analog SPL meter to plot the response. Once the 2 subs are set, then MCACC will treat them like 1 big sub.

Benihana

Stunt Coordinator
bleh.....I just tested out both the subs tonight....I'm just going to end up running the tempest only, surprisingly it blends well with my bookshelf speakers and has good enough midbass. I built the tempest to be used in both sealed and ported mode...when its sealed it sounds awesome for music and for HT both sealed and ported sound nuts. I forgot how good the tempest can really be. I am getting 15hz in room response with a subsonic filter set at 19hz....i'm replacing amp to a bigger rythmik audio 350amp with a 14hz subsonic filter sometime this week...sub is tuned to 16hz sitting at 220L.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks