JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
BTW, all the Memorex DL media I have bought has been Ritek, which is consistently the most reliable manufacturer.

stephen la

Stunt Coordinator
thanks for all the deals..
I bought a 3 pack of memorex at office max a few weeks back..how do I tell if they are ritek or not?
I tried a burn.. but my dual layer nec player with nero 6 didnt recognize them as a dvd.. it came of as a regular cd.
do I need a newer version of nero 6? or do I have defective discs?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Stephen, you need a media identification app. There are a few different ones for windows, but I'm on a Mac so I don't know what they are. The Mac one is called dvdmediainspector and should be available somewhere at videohelp.com or versiontracker.com. I suspect you need newer Nero and/or firmware for your burner. I have burned 4 or 5 of the discs I got from Office Max with no problems.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
If it came out like a CD, perhaps the CD burn option was in effect (you have to choose between CD or DVD, look in the upper left hand corner once you start a new compilation). If the CD option is "active", then the capacity should reflect what you can burn on it (700 MB).

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Linda

JohnRice... That duplicate-charging was NOT a buy.com issue...it was a PayPal issue, and it happened (as you noted) with debit cards, beginning on 9/6/05. Here's a cnet news item about it:

http://news.com.com/PayPal+glitch+sp...3-5878928.html

I don't blame you at all for being upset, but I just thought you should know the proper party with whom you SHOULD be upset, and with whom you should be communicating to try to get it worked out.

And good luck with getting it untangled; sounds like some folks are having quite a problem getting everything straightened out.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Thanks for the info, Linda. That would explain one of the things that happened on the account. Fortunately, everything has been corrected now. There were a couple cases where it was simply the way Buy.com (and many other online retailers) does business. When you place an order, they authorize it. If all the items don't ship that day, they then authorize each of them again as they ship, then they credit the original authorization once everything has shipped. On a debit card, it can tie up additional funds for a few days. Like I say, it is all squared away now.

stephen la

Stunt Coordinator
thanks Patrick & John
its not the cd/dvd option.
it's either the firmware or nero
my burner is an nec and firmware is the most current, but even though its a 16x its only burns 12x, even though I use 16x discs..
so maybe they just havent implemented dual layer yet

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Stephen, the 12x issue is probably the firmware in the burner. Most likely it identifies the media as one it only burns reliably at up to 12x. I would never burn a DVD at 16x anyway, plus your computer probably couldn't actually burn at a true 16x unless it is incredibly fast.

I have no idea why you can't get dual layer to work. This is one of the reasons I am so glad I don't live in the Windows world.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member

Oh brother.
My Windows XP computer DOES burn reliably at 16x. With SATA or UDMA 66 supporting burners.

I use Plextor, not NEC. Nero has supported dual layer for quite awhile now. A Google seach will net you a list of programs that show the ATIP information on who makes a particular disc.

I'm so glad not to live in a Mac world where my hardware destiny is decided by Jobs & company. Talk about a monopoly!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Obviously I have hit an exposed nerve. My comment about burning at 16x had nothing to do with with OS. It is just being learned that burning discs at that high a speed tends to not produce reliable discs in the long run. Also, the settings may be set for 16x but a lot of machines don't have the processing power to actually burn at that speed. If you don't burn a FULL DVD in about 3:10, it's not 16x, no matter what settings you use.

As far as my hardware destiny goes, my current Mac is 5 years old. In that time I have... upped all the memory, swapped the DVD-ROM for a Pioneer Superdrive, swapped out the video card, twice, added a USB2 card, added numerous hard drives, swapped out the processor & added better audio. None of this was sourced from Apple. Basically, about all the Apple stuff left is the housing and the OS, which is why I use a Mac in the first place. My hardware destiny is hardly determined by anyone but myself. My comment was merely in regards to the fact that Windows has numerous operating systems available simultaneously, all with different capabilities, hardware comes from MANY different sources, and the way they interact is not always all that predictable. I am more than willing to accept a very small limitation on hardware for reliability. When I plug something new in, it works. with no hassles. Always has.

What was this thread about again?

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member

Which is what a lot of the Macintosh owners who slam Microsoft don't take into account for. When designing an OS it's almost impossible to account for every possible configuration without some kind of bug or problem slipping through. At least you're aware of this and thank you for your honesty. I think the Macs are fine machines, I just prefer the Windows interface & application selection. :emoji_thumbsup:

I think his NEC burner should be replaced with a Plextor or a Sony.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yes, I am running 10.3. Moving to 10.4 in a few days. My previous Mac, which is 12 years old now won't run OSX as far as I know, but I don't use it anymore. Also, there's a word for people who deride others for doing something and then do it repeatedly themselves.

I'm sure Plextor makes fine drives. They should be, as much as they cost. I have 2 Pioneers (106D & 109) and they have been real troopers. Not a single problem, despite my choice of an addled, bug riddled operating system.

Why don't we get back to just posting dual layer media deals...

The 25 pack Memorex is currently down to $50 at buy.com

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member

I still don't trust them. Anyone actually have the media and confirm the ATIP info says "Ritek"?
How about TDK's or Fuji?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have 40 Memorex DVD+R DL and every one of them is Ritek. the only others I have are Verbatim branded and are Mistubishi manufacture.

My computer is a G4. Originally a 400 MHz, but I'm about to put in a 1.4 Ghz processor. After a great deal of research, it was quite apparent it gives the fastest performance with this machine. You can get processors up to 2 GHz, but they are actually slower on most tasks.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
FYI: CompUSA has a 1-day special on Sunday (Oct. 9) from 8 a.m to 8 p.m.:

25 DL-DVD+R for $29.99. They didn't list manufacturer in the ad.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Notice the combo deal on that Newegg link. Get an additional 5 DL media and 1 RW for the same price. At least that seems to be what it is saying.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The CompUSA deal (25 for $29.99) is Memorex DVD+R DL 2.4X, which cooled me on the deal, so I didn't pick any up this morning.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks