Dual Bannana's or Pins for spring clips?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Stephen Hopkins, Feb 9, 2003.

1. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

Jul 19, 2002
    I've recently upgraded all my speakers from JBL N series to Paradigms. I have 3SE MK3s in the front/center, Titans on the sides, and Atoms in the back. The 3SE MK3s have 5-way binding posts so I'm still using the dual banana plugs i was using with my JBL N series speaker. The Titans and Atoms I purchased are version 1 and unfortunatly have spring clips instead of binding posts.

While at circuit city the other night I picked up some Monster Angled Pins that were on sale (I usually think of monster stuff as overpriced, but they were on sale for $9 for 8 pins, 4 black jackets, and 4 red jackets). I have them installed on the 14AWG cable I'm using and are happy enough with them. They seem to make a more solid connection with the spring clips than bare wire, especially since they don't compress like bare wire does.

Tonight, just for curiosity, I decided to see if the dual banana plugs I had been using with my JBLS would fit in the spring clip terminals on the Titans and Atoms. To my suprise, the spacing and fit of the spring clips is perfect for the dual bananas.

My question is should I continue to use the Monster angled gold pins, or should I use the dual bananas with the spring clips? Has any one else used banana plugs with spring clips? What, if any, would the draw backs be?

Thanks [​IMG]
  2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Aug 5, 1999
    I’m actually surprised to hear this. Most spring clips won’t open up enough to take something as large as a banana plug.

But to answer your question, there would be no benefit to changing the pins for bananas.

I actually prefer bare wire in spring clips. When the clips compress the wire, you get a greater surface area contact.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt