What's new

DTS Sound not working (1 Viewer)

julezberg

Agent
Real Name
Ian
I just got the digital coaxial cable for DTS and hooked it from my Sony blu-ray player (BDP-BX1) to my Yamaha HTR-5840 receiver, only there is no sound what so ever when i switch to the DTS format. Also, I'm pretty sure the 96/24 indicator is suppose to light up on the front panel display when the digital coaxial cable is plugged in, but that is not the case. I made sure to turn on the DTS in the blu-ray player set-up menu as well, but still no luck.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
You set the player to output "Bitstream"?
You need to realize too that when a movie has a DTS soundtrack, you need to manually choose it in the movie's menus, under "Language" or "Audio Setup". Dolby Digital is the only digital soundtrack that's automatically detected, unless DTS is the only digital track.

The 96/24 indicator isn't going to come on unless the soundtrack is a 96/24 DTS soundtrack. Not all DTS is 96/24. I think it's mostly music tracks (cds or dvd-a, etc.) that uses 96/24 DTS.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Also the digital coax cable isn't "for DTS" it is for all digital audio formats - including Dolby Digital and CD formats. Finally you must assign the digital inputs (optical and coax) on your receiver to a particular video input. Unlike the analog inputs, they are not "paired" with a given video input by default. Check your receiver's manual for the procedure.

Regards,

Joe

julezberg

Agent
Real Name
Ian
I cant find an option in the set up menu for output: bitstream.

Here's what there is (Bold is what is have chosen. Is it right?):

Audio Output Priority:
-HDMI
-Coxial/Optical
-Stereo Analog

Audio (HDMI):
-Auto
-2ch PCM

BD Audio Setting:
-Mix
-Direct

Audio ATT:
-on
-off

Dolby Digital:
-Downmix PCM
-Dolby Digital

DTS:
-Downmix PCM
-DTS

48hz/96hz PCM:
-48hz/16bit
-96hz/24bit

Audio DRC:
-Auto
-Standard
-TV Mode
-Wide Range

Downmix:
-Dolby Surround
-Normal

Also, I did choose DTS in the movie's menu.

I did not assign the digital inputs on my receiver so that may be the answer.

Thanks for the help guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks