What's new

dts problem (1 Viewer)

MattAnder

Grip
No, I don't have the red and white cables. My receiver and rest of my entertainment center is kinda hard to get at, so maybe it's possible the cables have come unhooked and I just never noticed. I can look at that.

PaulT

Supporting Actor
Matt, in order to further help you out here we need to know exactly how you have your DVD player hooked to your receiver.

Is it by:
a single toslink (Fiber optic) cable,
a single Digital Coax cable,
3 composite cables (probably with color coding of Red, White for Audio and Yellow for Video).

MattAnder

Grip
I have a single digital coax cable running from the dvd player to the receiver. Then I have a green (mid price range audio cable--might be called a sidewinder or viper or something like that) running from where it says Line Out R and L on the dvd player to the receiver. Sorry I don't really know the terminology. I had somebody else help me set up my system, so I'm not that well versed in terminology of everything. In any event all the cables and hook-ups appear to be solid and in working order. Thanks again.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
OK, if it is hooked up as above, your digital connection is either disconnected or the digital coax on the receiver is the wrong input for DVD or if it is assignable, it is not assigned to the DVD input. Check in your recevier manul to see if the coax you have connected to is for the DVD or if you can assign it to different inputs. If it is the latter, assign it to the DVD input and try it again.

MattAnder

Grip
I'm sorry dude--I mis-spoke before. I have an optic cable running from the dvd player to the receiver. The optic cable is running from the digital out on the player and I have 3 choices for digital in on the receiver. I have the optic cable in #1. I tried putting it in 2 and 3, but it made no difference. Now, as I look at the front of the receiver it says analog on it. Shouldn't it say digital? If I force it to digital all the time I get no sound whatsoever--not even in dolby. If I have it on auto detect the display says digital for 3 or 4 seconds and then it switches back to analog. Does that mean anything? I'm at my wits end here fellas. As far as I know I've tried all your suggestions and still nothing works.

FeisalK

Screenwriter
have you tried un-selecting THX cinema on the receiver (choose auto then select DTS from the disc menu)

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Your digital input is not assigned to the proper input source. Hence, you are not getting a digital signal, which is why "analog" is on the display. The "auto-detect" is searching for input on the digital in, and not detecting it, is switching to the analog (red and white) ins. You must get your manual (I looked for it online, but it's not there) and read how to assign your digital inputs to the proper source input (I know, reading manuals is for sissies, but you'd be surprised how much you learn from them). This is usually in the receiver setup menu under "Input Setup" on Marantz receivers. Match the input that is connected to the DVD player with the input source (DVD) and then try it on "Auto-Detect". Make sure you shut off all THX processing. If it does not work then you have a faulty receiver (but I bet it will!).

MattAnder

Grip
I got it!!! I had the dvd set to D-5 and it should have been D-1. It seems so simple now. Thanks to everyone that responded. I think Paul originally had the right answer for me, but I guess I didn't understand it fully at that time. In any event I finally got it working, so thanks again everybody. Now here's another question. I'm looking to upgrade my dvd player a bit. Anybody have any suggestions for a good one in the $400-600 range?

PaulT

Supporting Actor
Matt,

Glad it's working for you, it was a collective effort - enjoy real surround sound now!

Best start a new thread for the DVD player question in Audio/Video Sources section, you'll probably get more responses there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks