What's new

DTS-NEO 6, H/K's "Logic 7", Dolby Pro Logic II...which is best? (1 Viewer)

DougPr

Auditioning
I recently bought a refurb'd Harman Kardon AVR-525. I've got it connected with 7.1 speakers. The manual is very vague when talking about the different surround modes though.

I know what DTS and DD is when it comes to DVD's, so no problem there.

But when listening to music or analog audio/video programs (like VCR tapes or cable TV), the surround modes are kinda confusing.

All my analog programming defaults to Logic 7, Harman Kardon's own surround sound that reproduces 7.1 channel sound from RCA inputs. Available in both Music and Cinema modes.

Then there's DTS-NEO 6 which sounds louder than the rest, also available in Music and Cinema modes.

Then there's good ole Dolby Pro Logic II which doesn't use 7.1 speakers, it only outputs sound to 5.1. Also available in Music and Cinema modes as well as "Emulation" which makes it act like original Pro Logic 4 channel (who would want that anyway?)

What are the pros and cons of each of these and which one is best to use for music and movies? I've tried flipping between all of them, but I'm having trouble figuring out which is the "best", so I was hoping for some expert analysis of these surround sound modes since their description is vague in the manual.

Thanks!

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
but I'm having trouble figuring out which is the "best"
It's the one that sound best to you. Seriously. There's no "right" answer.

From a strictly technical standpoint, one could argue that Logic7 has the edge, because it's the only mode on your list that was designed for the 7-speaker array. Logic7 is my personal preference, and it's pretty much the only mode I use (although I should note that the versions in the various Lexicon processors I've owned are probably more flexible and adjustable than the implementation in the HK).

As between DPL2 and DTS:Neo, people have expressed different preferences. But it's your ears that matter.

M.

DougPr

Auditioning
Thanks for the reply.

What's the technology used though?

Is DTS-NEO 6 vs. Dolby Pro Logic II in the analog world comparable to DTS vs. Dolby Digital in the digital world? Is Logic 7 anything like DPLII, does it use any of the same methods of surround or is this some new surround method that H/K is using?

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
AFAIK, all of these modes are digital. Even with analog sources, no one does surround processing in the analog realm these days.

As for the differences, I can't claim to have studied the technical specs (to the extent they're even available; remember that these are proprietary methods). I think Dolby has some technical papers on DPL2 at their website. And Lexicon has published at least one technical paper on Logic7.

Is Logic 7 anything like DPLII, does it use any of the same methods of surround or is this some new surround method that H/K is using?
Logic7 is considerably older than DPL2, but for a long time it was available only on Lexicon processors. It started to appear in HK receivers after Harman acquired Lexicon in the late 90s. Jim Fosgate, who designed DPL2 for Dolby, said that Logic7 was his closest competition.

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks