What's new

DTS Laserdiscs....... (1 Viewer)

Armand G

Stunt Coordinator
Before I had the Game DTS I owned the DD version. If I remeber correctly, it is a long time ago I compared them, the DD was thinner sounding. This is the case with most dd titles compared to their DTS counterparts. The soundfield was more compressed and less holosonic. Especially the music sounded fuller on the DTS version. There is also one scene in which Michael Douglas and the girl are shot at by a Swat team which sounded more detailed. The DD version sounded flat in comparison. This is about al I can remember. Is it really worth the upgrade. For me it was because I am very picky if it comes to soundquality. But there will also be people who think it's a waste of money considering the soundtrack being for from spectacular compared to great action movies.

Hopes this helps.

Armand G

Stunt Coordinator
I already sent a check out to Gary Reber. You can also call it spatial. Oops another 5 bucks for gary:D

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
" There's no news...like bad news" says Elliot Carver from Tomorrow Never Dies.

However, he's wrong tonight baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did a different hookup tonight. I used the digital input #4 on my reciever. (optical only on that input)and then wen to the ld player's optical out.

Big difference in sound. Wheeeeeeeew! :b

I got several dts lasers in the mail today (Thank you David Norman) and first played Tomorrow Never Dies in dts . It just sounded more "holosonic" to steal from Armand :wink: I compared the Dolby Digital ld and the Dolby Digital dvd. This is in my top 2 favorite Bonds so I know it well. The DD sounds very good. But when comparing it to the dts laser, it sounds a little tinny and bass thuddy. That's the only way I know to describe it. It tracks the sounds well etc...but the dts version just expands the soundstage and feels bigger than my screen. The DD track seems more front speaker heavy. I guess I was wanting to like the dts laser more since I got it, but after my recent dts laser problems, I feared the worse. Needless to say, I have a Dolby Digital Tomorrow Never Dies laserdisc coming up for sale.

Then put in Toy Story dts ...I heard and read the difference would not be substantial over the Dolby dvd and Dolby laserdisc....but...after I compared some scenes
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Wow. Wow. Wow! Both the dts and Dolby mixes are very bright. I had forgotten how bright they were. I used the THX Cinema mode on this one. It helped. I just thought of another description...it may sound stupid but the dts on laser just sounds quicker, tighter and less lazy. The best scene to compare was when Woody and Buzz get left behind at the Pizza place. The big truck that nearly runs over Woody. Wow. Very impressive!

I then put The Hunchback Of Notre Dame dts back in since I had switched inputs. First let me say that some of what I felt initially may have been unmet expectations? Based on what I read etc...I will also say that comparing the dts laser and the dts dvd; the difference is not huge like I expected it to be. What I noticed is the dts dvd track is a little more center speaker loaded. Dialogue sounds very good and has that little sparkle that the dts laser lacks a little. But the dts laser has a more expansive soundfield and still tracks the sounds well. The dts track on the dvd is a great track though. It could be that the dvd mix has some symbols etc...mixed in the center channel which can give the listener the impression that the voice sounds "livelier"....The dts laser spreads it out and sound is coming from everywhere.

Both mixes are great though.

Haven't even tried the other dts lasers yet. I'm leaving early in the morning but will post my review of those lasers next week.

Still need to take my reciever in and see why the other inputs didn't do it. I ended up using the MD (mini disc) input. I have a Mini Disc Player/Recorder but what the hell. :D

One thing about comparing dvd to laserdisc. I have gotten spoiled to the clean and great color depth that dvd has. The lasers look very good mind you, but the dvd is really clean.

Maybe we can hope for the next "dvd" evolution to give us superior video and audio.

I must say too that fellow HTF Member David Norman sold some of these dts ld's to me, and I have never seen a package arrive so neat, well packed, (they were quadruple packed), a top-notch product delivered with the utmost care! Thank you David. :)

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I watched my DTS LD of "Broken Arrow" last weekend when I was snowed in. That's another really good one. Another nice thing about DTS LDs is that they pretty much all have as good a picture as the medium allows. They were pressed in small batches by the best Japanese LD manufacturers and it shows. Great audio and video on all of them (except, in my experience "Blown Away" which is awful).

Armand G

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah Philip. Broken Arrow was one of those titles where the dts mix was a lot better. I previously owned the DD LD which has been replaced by the DTS LD.

Tom Blizzard

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom Blizzard
I'll "third" that.......... "Broken Arrow" is FANTASTIC!! Many times when I've got about 15 minutes to spare, I'll put it on (dts version, of course) and just marvel at the sound.

My wife thinks I'm crazy to just watch (and listen) to only 15 minutes of a movie, but I'm sure I'm not alone here.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Thanks for all the kind words. :) Fixing to walk out the door for the weekend, but can't wait to get back and put on the Crimson Tide dts laserdisc!

Cheers :)

Tom Blizzard

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom Blizzard
-----------If any of you have read my earlier posts, you might be interested in knowing that by using Disney's "Hunchback" I have found a noticable difference in the bass management in my Millennium 2.4.6 dts processor (upstairs) and the Onkyo TX-SR600 receiver that I use in my family room. I used the same method as I did with "True Lies." Just by touching the sub's cone during specific scenes during the first 6 minutes of the film.

-----------Simply stated, the Millennium does not pass some of the "higher" bass that the Onkyo will pass. Interesting to say the least. (crossovers set the same)

-----------I did a complete Infinity R.A.M.O.S. (Room Adaptive Bass Optimization System) check for the first time on my home theater system upstairs and found that there is a sonic "hole" in the bass from about 55 to 65 herz,(drops off about 6 db). Although I don't know if this is part of the "problem", I am going to do the same "check" on my downstairs system.

----------- Anyone reading this ever use or read about the Millennium 2.4.6 and its good/bad points??

Tom B. ;)

Armand G

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Tom,

I read in the past that the Milly had some trouble with dts titels. It had something to do with bass management. I briefly had a Milly that by the way never worked. It was DOA. There are some switches at the back that can be changed to fit your setup if I remember correctly. In what way did you connect the Milly? With a 5.1 input or between pre and power amp?

Tom Blizzard

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom Blizzard
Armand, :star:

----Thanks for the tip. I've sent a note to the tech. support at Millennium. (if they are still there).

-----My main concern is what happens to the mid bass that is not on the LFE track? It just seems to disappear compared to the Onkyo. The low LFE bass is there but not the "higher" bass........ say above 80-100 cycles. If it is passed to my main speakers, I know they can handle it..but it just doesn't seem to be there either.

----- It might be time to consider a new processor.

Thanks again, Tom B.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
The Milly has no bass management whatsoever*. It sends only LFE to the sub. I ran one for a couple of years and even with my modest front speakers I found it to be excellent. I ran my mains through my sub as well as using the RCA input, since the sub supported this dual configuration, and I got most of the bass this way.

* You can roll the LFE into the mains, but that's all

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
You didn't say you had a Milly. They do have issues but I can't remember exactly what it was. I want to say its -10db low on the LFE. You should have found that if you had calibrated your speakers with Avia/VE though.

Tom Blizzard

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom Blizzard
------------Thanks Phillip and Mark, this is enough to explain the problem.

------------When I use Avia and VE, I always use my dolby digital decoder. Never thought about using the Milly. Well, back to the SPL meter.....
I never expected such a quick response to this situation. I figured not too many Millenniums were used now or in the past. Appreciate your comments.
Tom B.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks