What's new

DTS decoding? (1 Viewer)

Pedro_Gil

Auditioning
OK so I searched the primer for my answer but can't find it. I bought a used Sony receiver that supports both Dolby Digital and DTS but only the Dolby Digital signal is detected. I get no sound when I choose the DTS soundtrak. I also noticed that the DVD player also decodes Dolby Digital. Does the DVD player also have to support DTS in order for it to send it to the receiver. The DVD player is very old (1997). I'm using the digital coax out. I was also wondering if it possible that the DTS decoder is either not working or was removed. Is this possible?

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
The DVD player needs to be able to output DTS in order for you to hear a DTS soundtrack. If your player is from 1997, it probably isn't DTS compatible (like all first generation players). If it is, it should have a small DTS logo on its front panel.

Adam

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
If your player does support DTS, there will likely be a toggle in the menu that you will need to enable. That would be there because many earlier AVR's and Pre/Pro's could not accept a DTS stream.

But as Adam suggested, a 1997 player if 99.999% not likley to support DTS.

BGL

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks