What's new

DTS and Dolby Digital (1 Viewer)

Brian OK

Supporting Actor
Drew,

You are always welcome. Just email me and I'll set up the extra room..... just bring some very excellent Canadian lagers, heh.

On another note, my new work responsibilities require that I cover eastern Canadian distributors. I was up in Missassagua (did I get the spelling right?) a month ago for a couple of days. I will be up again to the Toronto area next month and throughout the future so I may bust in on you.... heavens forbid, right ?
Anyway, I cover greater Toronto and over to the Maritimes. Expect I'll be in Quebec soon too. Being from Mass., I will drive. But only when the cold gives way to golfing time;*)

BTW, I very much like the DD Norah Jones Live in NE disc. A very good DD concert. dts can't do any better it seems to me.

BOK

Brad E

Second Unit

Robert, I believe you, I am not disputing anything.
There seemed to be a debate over whether or not the sound designer was an individual or a group of people.
Seems irrelevant to me, especially when in the end, all the decisions are made by only a handfull of people or even a single person like the director.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
:D I must have the "swirly piano in the right surround" version.
This is one of the poorest example of how to mix MC music.
I guess somebody's reference is another's dissapointment.

Yogi

Screenwriter
I woundn't generalize the differences between DTS and DD.I have heard good and bad in both formats. For most of my movies though I prefer DTS. Gladiator DTS ES being one of my all time favourites.

My rusty 2 cents.

Babek

Stunt Coordinator
I personally prefer DTS because it's more clear.

You have to listen to the DTS ES track on the Two Towers extended edtion. Any Lord of the Rings dvd has an awsome DOLBY DIGITAL and DTS on the extended version, both are good.

Brad E

Second Unit
Gladiator and both Lord of the Rings (extended versions) are among the movies I was testing.
Maybe it's just my setup, I don't know. I would sure like to have a listen on someone elses HT, but I don't know anybody who has a decent system.
The DTS doesn't sound terrible, it's just a little high pitched at times. Not a huge difference from DD, but enough to notice.
I guess from all the replies on this thread it would seem that most people prefer DTS.

Brian OK

Supporting Actor
Check for the correct speaker connections if you suffer from "swirly piano in the RS".

Is it perfect? No. Is it reference 5 channel audio in terms of what is available on the shelf today? Absolutely!

It is a less "conceived" disc via the mixing board than 99% of current offerings. Disagree if you will. Couldn't care less.

You might want to look into your room treatments if you can't pick up the expansive soundstage as well. But you know that too, right ?

BOK

Roger Dressler

Stunt Coordinator
Robert AG wrote:
>>BOTH Dolby Digital and DTS are significant degradations in sound quality from the original uncompressed sound elements heard on the mixing stage. If you don't believe me, try to visit a mixing stage and hear for yourself what the sound and music elements sound like in their uncompromised state coming directly from the digital audio workstations, into the console, and out the stage speakers.

Robert AG

Stunt Coordinator
>>>>If I visit a mixing stage, will I be able to compare the source to the Dolby Digital or DTS tracks that will later appear on the DVD? If they don't make the encoded tracks right at the dubbing stage, how did you make the comparison? Do you bring the DVD back to the stage 6 months later and pull the master and compare?

David Judah

Screenwriter
Calvin,

If I'm understanding you correctly, with the optical connection the receiver is doing the decoding and with the analog 5.1 connection, the DVD player is doing the decoding.

Of course you know, Roger, but others might not know that the codec for DTS theatrical is different from the one used for DVD.

DJ

NoahD

Auditioning
Calvin,

to add to David comments. Optical sends the 'raw' digital signal to the receiver for decoding. Your receiver outputs the 5.1 and may have DSP mode options (concert hall, expanded, cinima 70mm, etc.) that will add special audio effects to the signal.

If you use the analog 5.1 outs from your DVD player, the DVD player has processed the same digital signal. The analog signals travel to the 5.1 inputs on the receiver and are usually passed straight on through to the amp. So you don't get any additional DSP modes layered on top.

2 cents.

CalvinCarr

Supporting Actor
What I was asking is do you get the same sound using the optical input as you would using the analog 5.1? So if what your saying then there isn't a need for a dvd/cd player with 5.1 outs if your reciever can decode using DTS by optical connections? How does that affect sacd etc...?

Dennis Gardner

Stunt Coordinator
Calvin,

The sound quality is dependant on the digital to analog converters of each unit. If you use the multi-analog outputs, the dvd player is using its decoders. If you use optical or coaxial digital outputs, the receiver uses its own decoders.

SACD and DVDA currently have to use the multichannel analog inputs. I don't think the optical or coaxial have the bandwidth to carry the signal.

Firewire is the only digital hookup that can do it.

CalvinCarr

Supporting Actor
Sorry to keep asking but....If I can decode with the reciever or player which is the best to use?

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
whichever has the highest quality D/A converters. what are your player and receiver?

and like dennis said, you can't do sacd or dvd-a through an optical/digi coax connection; must be analog.

but can you even send dts as analog 5.1 from most players?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks