What's new

DS9 or Voyager? (1 Viewer)

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Actually, considering its (relatively) long story arcs, DS9 is better suited to enjoy via complete season box sets than any other Trek series. TNG is the king for being able to suck you in with any random episode in syndication, though. Voyager just never drew me in one way or another. Ah well.

Regards,

Craig Sherman

Stunt Coordinator

Down a point for the climactic final season? I can only guess that Joseph just isn't a fan of Ezri. Let's not get too into that character discussion so as to avoid spoiling anything for the unintiated.

I stil wish Vic Fontaine could have met Professor Moriarty. Or Barclay, for that matter.

My personal reason for loving DS9? Jeffrey Combs. As two different alien species characters. IN THE SAME EPISODE. Nerd Points to the listener who can name which episode it was.

CDE,

CS

Craig Sherman

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, I always thought it was odd that Frank Langella appeared uncredited. Wasn't Steven Weber (Wings, Shining miniseries) uncredited, as well, in that three-parter?

On the topic of guest stars, here's a name: Iggy Pop. Any punk pioneers on Voyager? No? Case closed.

CDE,

CS

(who would have loved to see Joey Ramone play a Trek alien in his lifetime)

Roger_R

Second Unit
Cardassians? 1800's brits, I guess :)
Conquer and enslave people. Then look back at it as a great time in their history.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams

He did the show as a gift to his children and did not wish to be credited (this is not to suggest that he didn't like the show, just that he didn't feel the credit was necessary).

DS9 is leaps and bounds beyond any other Trek. Far Beyond the Stars has to be one of the finest hours of science fiction I hsve ever laid eyes on.

I must be in the minority here, but I felt that the series finale of Voyager was the one episode that redeemed 7 years of the creators dramatically undercutting their captain's authority. They spent 7 years of having her say "step over this line and I'll clean your clock. (They step over it) No, no, no, step over THIS line and I'll clean your clock..." and then she finally lets someone have it at some expense to herself.

*sigh*

Voyager is consigned to the junk heap of history as a glorious waste of potential. But having said that, one of my all time favorite episodes of Trek is in Voyager's second season. Lifesigns had a great duet of a performance between the Doctor and the Vidiian he was trying to save. I think this is what gives so many Trek fans agita... they were teased with that gleam of greatness under the surface only to have TPTB fubar everything.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member

How about Benny Russell's enigmatic 2nd appearance in the series! :eek: (In the 6th season opener, I believe.) How in the hell did they ever sneak that one past Rick?

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
DS9's supporting cast was marvellous. Jeff Combs in particular. J G Hertzler's Martok is my pick for best Klingon ever. And Louise Fletcher's little putdowns to Kira always have me in hysterics.

Hey, who'd we ever enslave? It is not the Brits who had slaves... We merely brought a little order to the world.[insert chilling laugh here :)]

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
That was definitely a one two punch that vagued things a bit. I really wish they could have done one more peek back to see if things ever got better for Benny.

"Maybe, just maybe, Benny isn't the dream: we are. Maybe we're nothing more than figments of his imagination. For all we know, at this very moment, somewhere, far beyond all those distant stars... Benny Russell is dreaming of us."

Chris_C

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
Far Beyond the Stars is a great episode and in the pantheon of great SF. Numerous recurring characters, I looked at IMDB, sheesh so many names, so I will only add Rosalind Chao's name and wish I could add all the others. Someone had to mention B5, but as good as that series writing was, after season 3 or 4 there were not any bad DS9 episodes(poorly written or otherwise)IMHO.

PS couldn't resist just found this surfing the net, physicists have reported making a glass breakthrough, sounds similiar to ST's transparent aluminum http://physicsweb.org/article/news/8/8/9

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Actually, I would probably drop season 7 a point as well, but not because of Ezri - she was nice to look at.

Vic Fontaine was my big problem with season 7 of DS9. They're building up to this huge climax, they're in a massive war... so let's take a break and try and help a holographic club owner deal with holographic gangsters? Would have been fine in seasons 1 and 2, but in season7, you just feel like there are more important t7hings they could be doing.

But when they weren't in Vic's club, season 7 was as good a the previous few seasons.

Jeff

Supporting Actor

No, I'd say DS9 wins again in that department. Patrick Stewart and Brent Spiner were really the only strong actors in TNG. In DS9, practically the entire cast, and even supporting charcters, were strong actors.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Season 7 of DS9 was very good; Ezri was a great addition to the show, and I liked Vic. He brought a great sense of attitude and swagger to the show, and gave those 24th Century characters a reason to have some Rat Pack confidence that was often lacking in many of the folks in the Trek universe.

Nicodemus

Stunt Coordinator

Hey, blashemy! Baddabing, baddabang is the best holodeck episode ever. And it's funny as hell too!

And I agree that Patrick Stewart and Brent Spiner really were the only very strong actors in TNG and that the actors in DS9 were far more talented, even the recurring stars.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Well I wanted to say something nice about all 3 shows. :) I admit I only had Stewart and Spiner in mind with that comment.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I thought Ezri was a bit weak as a character. She had the unfortunate task of living up to Jadzia, someone who we grew to love for six seasons. Why did they have to write her so nervous and whiney? If we have to blame anyone for this it's Terri Farrel.

Kai Zas

Second Unit
I think they wrote Ezri like that because they wanted a real big contrast to what Jadzia was. They kept the motions (hands behind her back) and altered the personality in a big way. I realy liked her.

You know, I always thought they would change the Dax character more often with a new "face". When the series first started out, I told myself not to get too attached to Jadzia. Turns out they waited 'till the last season. And they didn't realy want the change either, considering Terry Farrel made a big fuss over using here character in flashbacks.

Oh, and when you're done with DS9, run out and get Dead Zone. Nicole de Boer is in that as well, cute as ever. (And Michael Piller is involved as well. He's good with shows.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks