What's new

Drunken Master (1 Viewer)

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
We the members of the forum are interested in the film product to be recorded and reproduced as closely as possible to the way the original creator(s) of that particular film intended.
I don't see a "with the exception of Hong Kong Films" at the end of the sentence above, which is taken directly from the mission statement of this forum. If this is the best Columbia could do, they need to put more effort into it.

Matt

MartinTeller

Screenwriter
If the original soundtrack elements are missing, what is the studio supposed to do? What would YOU do? Record new dialogue? Isn't that just as bad?

I agree that a warning would be nice, but it's not enough to stop me from making the purchase.

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
Personally, I wouldn't have released it or I would have put a huge warning explaining how every effort was made to obtain the original soundtrack.

It would have been possible to port the sound from a laser disc version of the movie. Sometimes it's just a matter of how far the company wants to go in providing the best product they can.

An "oops, you noticed" type of response from Columbia doesn't sit right with me. If this is the best they can do, I'll wait to see what the best Hong Kong Legends can do with this movie.

Matt

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
If the original soundtrack elements are missing, what is the studio supposed to do? What would YOU do? Record new dialogue? Isn't that just as bad?
They did record new dialogue in English. Then they took that English recording and edited into the Cantonese soundtrack.
Recording new dialogue is not so bad if it helps repair damaged portions of some sound elements.
Walt Disney Home Video did it with Fantasia.
Criterion & Universal Home Video did it with Spartacus.

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
rutger: Are you sure the English portions are new? I didn't do a painstaking comparison, but I couldn't tell any difference between those moments and the overall sound of the alternate English track. The English dub didn't strike me as a new recording.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I know 4 or 5 people personally with HK LDs of the movie who would be happy to lend them. Same deal with Rhino and Transformers the Movie. I called them and said we'd be happy to lend our Japanese LD if they couldn't find the original sound track. They thanked me, and later called back and said "Not to worry, we found it".

And where did HK Legends get a serviceable Cantonese track if it was destroyed. Answer: Columbia didnt' care enough to go looking.

James D S

Screenwriter
And where did HK Legends get a serviceable Cantonese track if it was destroyed. Answer: Columbia didnt' care enough to go looking.
That sounds exactly like what happened. :thumbsdown:
I checked out the audio on my disc as well and sure enough, there are considerable dropouts to alternate language tracks throughout the entire length of the movie - and many times these segments would last for several minutes.
Where's the respect for the consumer, Columbia? For the art?
This all could have been avoided with a warning sticker.

James M

Stunt Coordinator
Hi, I was recently looking to buy this movie, and was wondering if columbia ever did something about this?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Nope, it's always going to be screwed up

Get yourself PAL capable and buy the HK Legends disc

Chris M

Second Unit
Didn't I hear somewhere that HKL Discs are region-0? Hmm, maybe not. Anyway, I was totally confused by the english in the cantonese soundtrack, it was really stupid. There were no notes on the packaging or in the case explaining this.

Well, since I bought it and the picture is great, I'll enjoy it... but that does really piss me off. Hmm, at least they did more than Disney did with Legend of Drunken Master... I refuse to buy it due to the dubbing and no OSL at all.

Chris.

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor
Just a heads-up: my local Mega-Retailer-That-Shall-Not-Be-Named got this in yesterday. All of their copies have a sticker on the back saying that because of damage to the original soundtrack some of the dialogue will be in English. So they've finally done SOMETHING, even if it did take them three months.

Still waiting for more info on the HKL disc.......

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Is the DVD being sold by Blackstar & Bensonsworld the same one? The cover shots look different, and Bensons claims that it is in English and Mandarin?? but both list the studio as "Eastern Heroes Ltd.", not HKL.

What's the story?

Ted

Chris M

Second Unit
It contains the orignal Cantonese Soundtrack, an english dub, and a commmentary track.
THIS is the DVD we're all talking about. This is the only cover. There are other versions, but none as good quality.
Hope this helps.
Chris.

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
The current HKL DVD is cropped and doesn't have the original Cantonese soundtrack. The Platinum edition isn't out yet. I am waiting for the Platinum edition.

Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharel
Recent bookmarks