Dropping Collision Insurance ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Alex S, Mar 3, 2003.

1. Alex S

Alex S Second Unit

At what age of your car do you drop Collision Insurance ?

Mine is 8 years old and I can save about $165.00 every six months if I drop Collision.

2. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

The rule of thumb I have heard is that you should drop collision/comprehensive (theft) once the vehicle is worth less than $3,000.

3. Bruce N

Bruce N Second Unit

If your car is totalled tomorrow can you afford to replace it out of your pocket? If not you should think about keeping your collision insurance.

Bruce

4. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

Both Brian and Bruce make good points. Once my RX-7 dropped below a blue book value of 4,000 I dropped the collision on it because if I were to get in anything more then a fender bender (Less then $500 damage) then the insurance company would most likely total the car and give me less then what it was worth. Of course it is still a risk but at under 5,000 if you could afford to replace it then is it worth it to you for 170 per 6months? Although I don't have Collision I do keep uninsured motorist in case the guy that hits me doesn't have insurance. Other then that I would chalk up an accident that is my fault as a lesson learned on my cheap car.

KyleS

5. MarcVH

MarcVH Second Unit

There are a number of factors, not the least being whether the original poster lives in a no-fault state (and, unfortunately, his profile doesn't indicate a location. [​IMG] )

In general, if totaling the car in question would not cause you too much financial burden, and you (and anybody else who drives your car) are a cautious and safe driver, it's something to consider. Also a factor is what you would do with the $165 saved by dropping the coverage -- use it to bolster your emergency savings, or blow it?

6. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

I dropped collision on my car a year and a half ago because the KBB was right around $3000 when I did it. That has saved me about $2500 to date.

7. Alex S

Alex S Second Unit

I live in NY and the blue book value for my mini-van is 8,000.

8. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

Well if the Blue book of your car is $8,000 could you replace that 8K without problem if you were to cause an accident or be forced into one? If no is your answer then I would keep the collision on your car. Since you would only be saving $330 per year by dropping your collision it would take you 24 years to hit that amount. [​IMG] If it was me I would wait a little while before dropping your collision but it is your money.

KyleS

9. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian
    What Kyle said. Unless you have thousands in the bank for just such an emergency, you should probably keep the collision insurance on an $8000 vehicle.

10. Alex S

Alex S Second Unit

Thanks guys.

[​IMG]

11. Scott Van Dyke

Scott Van Dyke Supporting Actor

'94 Toyota Carolla here. I dropped collision/comprehensive the day I paid it off from the bank. That was almost 2 years ago. I've saved plenty. My car is 9 yrs. old and only has 60K. I'm the second owner. I figure the car has another 150K at least.