What's new

Drobo and NEW iMac 27 (1 Viewer)

Raul Marquez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Raul H. Marquez, MD
Well, I finally bit the bullet and bought myself a 27in iMac. I'm considering buying the Drobo 5N to attach it via the Gigabit port on the iMac so that I can have my iTunes library on it with all my movies (around 5,500) and that I may then use Apple TVs to watch them. Has anyone had any experience with this new Drobo 5N?

Raul

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Raul, I have used the Drobo and found it to be a solid product, however I would look at competitive products like the Synology or QNAP. Sent from my Android phone on the HTF App!

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
The good news for you right now is that the nas market is very competitive. So, between options like Iomega (EMC), Netgear, Synology, QNAP and now 4TB drives, you've got plenty of choices.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
They are essentially performance tiers. Green is "eco" or cheaper with less cache and slower rotational speed, blue is a green with more cache, black has higher speed rotation.
The red drives are basically a black drive, but with built in circuitry to handle being in a RAID array. When you try to rebuild an array with conventional consumer drives, they don't always align sector to sector and are more prone to rebuild errors. The red drives are built to a higher standard, with a longer warranty (3 years) and firmware meant for small NAS appliances like you're considering.Given a choice, I would pick the WD RED every time for a NAS.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Here's the tiers, WD goes: GREEN->BLUE->BLACK->RED

Green are considered Eco friendly, low speed drives. These are generally good for offline storage, USB enclosures, or backup devices/etc.
Blue is your "standard" desktop hard drive, general day to day use.
Both blue and green have a 2 year warranty.

Black is WD'd premier Desktop HDD, higher speed, designed for basic desktop use with a longer warranty. It is not Raid certified.

WD Red are basically WD Black drives with Raid aware data circuitry designed for a larger, faster buffer to prevent loss.
WD Red and Black drives both receive up to a five year warranty with credits:
http://support.wdc.com/warranty/faq_dir.asp

Raul Marquez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Raul H. Marquez, MD
Thanks Dave and Matt! I bought the Drobo 5N through B&H Photo and also a Crucial mSATA 64GB SSD which is attached to the bottom of the Drobo, and does not constitute one of the 5 drives. The reviews I've read state that this SSD markedly speeds up data transfer. What I also like from this particular Drobo unit is that (as with all Drobos) you can mix drives, and that it also includes a battery backup in case of power failure. I'm expecting delivery on Tuesday so I'll give you my impressions once it arrives.

Raul

Raul Marquez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Raul H. Marquez, MD
On the subject of drives... I have several WD My Book external drives, Is there any way in which to know if these are Green, Red, etc? Wondering if I could open them and stick them inside the Drobo. Also, is there a "Red" equivalent for Seagate drives?

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
All of the My Book are blue label. All of the WD to Go where blue. Yes, Dropbox uses a ZFS method, which is quite nice

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
The MyBook Thunderbolt Duo requires Green drives: being slower, they are also cooler; the Duo has no fan.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Drobo + the original Intel Mac Mini, was why I ended up buying the 2009 Mac Pro. A disk on the Drobo failed, replacing it and recovering failed, the help from Drobo was awful. I was so traumatized I still haven’t replaced the now dead (not its disk drives or data) Mac Pro with a Synology or equivalent to go with our new Mac Studio. Anyone who has a Synology, what is the noise level? I had ~48TB on the Mac Pro — so I need fairly huge storage. Anyone try any of these from OWC: https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/thunderbolt/thunderbolt-external-drives

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
A solute to Drobo, who popularized and simplified RAID-boxes for normal-ish people.

I bought a Drobo back around 2009 for a work use. It lasted some number of years. But I gather it may have died sometime after I left the company.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
It depends on the drives you use. My Synology NAS currently has three 16 TB Seagate Exos drives and they are noisy as hell, but it's down in the basement so I don't hear it.
No basement — small NYC one bedroom. Can’t be noisier than my Mac Pro was…

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks