What's new

drivers for video card (1 Viewer)

A

Andrew_A_Paul

I'm running windows xp and i have a 32Mb geforce 4 mx 420 video card. My problem is i cant find drivers for XP. The ones i did find screw up my computer. Whenever i try to move a file to a different folder on my hard drive, my computer locks up. So i unistalled the drivers for the card and i havent had that problem. I need the drivers for the card though because my computer runs choppy without the correct settings. Does anyone have any help they can offer me or know where i can get drivers at that work?

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
What drivers are you using? I'm currently using Nvidia's Detonator XP drivers ver. 30.82 with XP Pro and have no problems what so ever. You can get them here.

A

Andrew_A_Paul

well im still having problems. I know it is the driver, in a way. It doesnt lock up when i have it set to 16 bit. If i change it to 32 bit it will lock up like i described early. I have another problem now though: my screen shakes when i have a window open. It doesnt do it when im ust on the desktop, but when i open internet explorer it does it. Do you or anyone else have any other suggestions? I built the comp myself. It has a 1.2 GHz AMD Athlon, 512 MB SD ram, and a correction on the video card, its a 64 MB card, not 32. I would appreciate any help. Thanks

A

Andrew_A_Paul

I use the 30.82 Detanator drivers that Travis suggested I use. The driver I used earlier was the 29.42 driver for XP that didnt work either. I don't what the deal is with the screen shaking. It must just be having fits because its not shaking right now.

A

Andrew_A_Paul

I use the 30.82 Detanator drivers that Travis suggested I use. The driver I used earlier was the 29.42 driver for XP that didnt work either. I don't what the deal is with the screen shaking. It must just be having fits because its not shaking now.

Gary King

Second Unit
If you have a VIA chipset motherboard, you should download the newest 4-in-1 drivers from VIA. There are known compatibility issues with older VIA AGP drivers and NVIDIA drivers.

A

Andrew_A_Paul

The VIA drivers didn't make a difference, my computer will still lock up when my display is set to 32 bit. I never had this problem of my computer locking up while transfering files from folder to folder with ME. What are the chances of a new MOBO fixing this? I know that the MOBO I have no isn't very good, that's why i have the GEFORCE video card. I looked in the manual for the MOBO and it's only upgradable to 1.2 GHz and I have a 1.2 Athlon. Of course the only problem with that, if it doesn't fix anything im out the money. Anything else I can try?

Mark Hsieh

Agent
When you say lock up, do you mean it freezes and you can't move the mouse/make keystrokes? If not, do you get a bsod or something? Try installing the drivers that came with the card or go to: http://www.guru3d.com and try installing those drivers.
Make sure XP removed your 29.42 because out of personal experience, I'd have to decompress the new drivers and install them through the update, not the install executable. The 29.42's are also infamous for their awesome framerates but really horrible instability.
Good luck

A

Andrew_A_Paul

It locks up, can't move mouse or anything, and I have to restart. Mark, do you know which driver i should download? There are about 10 pages of different drivers for 2000/XP.

Mark Hsieh

Agent
Those are all officialy releases from nVidia, but I would try the 28.35 detonators. Those always seemed stable for my card.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
What speed agp are you running in the bios? If 4x try dropping it to 2x. Also what mb are you using?

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
Travis,

How are the new 30.82 drivers? Do they noticably improve framerates? I have the 29.42 driver and am quite happy with that, but will definitely install the latest if it's worth it.

Bruce

Mark Hsieh

Agent
The 30.xx series of drivers are supposed to be nVidias Power gamer (or something like) driver series, which give significant performance increases and image quality. They work great on my mobile Gf4

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
Well, I downloaded the 30.82 but haven't done any gaming as of yet. The reason I asked before was because this comp had given me trouble (it was declared DOA and sent back) and I was reluctant to install new drivers or whatnot.
So, now there is the 31.00 version? Good grief! A guy can't even keep up anymore! :D
Bruce

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
I haven't really noticed any performance increase with the 30.82 drivers. Nivid's website says it contains improvements mainly for the Quadro GPUs, so that's probably why. I have a GeForce4 TI4200 128MB by the way.

A

Andrew_A_Paul

Well i've tried several of the drivers that said it supports GeForce 4 cards and none of them have worked. I looked in my bios settings and found nothing useful there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks