What's new

Drive - ongoing thread (1 Viewer)

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I just watched tonight's two episodes on a preview DVD I got from FOX. I enjoyed it more than I expected (based on the rehashed plot). And it's more than just an action show - there's some funny moments (as Lou alluded to) but it also leaves some unanswered questions for the audience. I'll be tuning in tomorrow for the 3rd episode.

But FOX is only airing 6 episodes now (counting the two-hour premiere as two episodes). After tonight's premiere, it'll air Mondays, starting tomorrow, at 8 until May 7th (which is listed as a "season finale"). If ratings are good, I'm sure they'll air the remaining episodes either late in the summer or sometime next fall.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Watching this right now, and it's funny as hell that Gracie from Jericho showed up as the Sinister Watress™ at the diner Melanie Lynskey's character just visited. Thought she got shanked?

Anyone besides me want to see a 24/Drive crossover?

I think Charles Martin Smith could probably hold his mud under a Bauer interrogation...

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I figured it out already, Phil Keoghan is behind all this, he's finally cracked and taken this Amazing Race thing too far! :D

Very odd premiere IMO, entertaining yes but still odd, and some of those racers need to learn the concept of the word 'race', they were just taking their sweet ol' time bullshitting in that gas station bathroom.

The show does feel very much like a cross between many mad-cap race movies from the past, so much so that I half expected to see Burt Rynolds and Dom Deluise drive by in an ambulance with Buford T. Justice in hot pursuit, it was The Cannonball Run as envisioned by Hal Needham's evil twin.

It was fun, i'll go along for the ride for awhile. :emoji_thumbsup:

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I enjoyed tonight's double episode and I'll keep watching it, but after investing time in The Nine only to have it canceled, I'm a little gun shy of getting hooked on another serial. With only about six episodes (two down, four to go) I think the show is going to dead end with an unsatisfactory conclusion. Unless the ratings were amazing I have no faith Fox will bring this back anymore than I expect NBC to bring back Reines.

I wish the networks would take their cue from FX, TNT, Sci Fi, USA etc., in that they offer new dramas and comedies that are on during the summer.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I enjoyed tonight's double episode and I'll keep watching it, but after investing time in The Nine only to have it canceled, I'm a little gun shy of getting hooked on another serial. With only about six episodes (two down, four to go) I think the show is going to dead end with an unsatisfactory conclusion. Unless the ratings were amazing I have no faith Fox will bring this back anymore than I expect NBC to bring back Reines.

I wish the networks would take their cue from FX, TNT, Sci Fi, USA etc., in that they offer new dramas and comedies that are on during the summer.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Favourite Filion line - 'I missed orientation.'

I betting his character has a background radically different than his landscaping job - otherwise why the interest from the 'Others' in him?

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Should also mention that Tim Minear stated that the 13 episode order would provide closure. So if the show does not go beyond the 6 at least the inevitable DVD set will.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Enjoyable little show that is now going to fill my Monday night for a couple weeks, anyway. I think it was a mistake to do a two hour premiere; the show seemed to drag in the last halfhour a little bit. Some of the CGI is a bit sketchy, but nothing terribly distracting. And there's a pretty good cast of radically different characters. The only thing I'm wary of is too many flashbacks. I don't want Drive to become Lost.

Joe_H

Screenwriter
I thought it was pretty good, it definitely won't be a Prison Break replacement as far as I'm concerned, but it'll be nice filler since that's over for the season.

With regards to:

Didn't they slightly address this already? To me they made it sound like the landscaping job was a cover, I was thinking some sort of undercover police type work, but there's a bunch of possibilities.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I set up a series recording before it aired, and I'm not going to rescind it. I wasn't jumping up and down in my seat, but it was entertaining. I bet the end sequence with Tully's wife will mirror the flashback scene with Corinna as a child.

Tom Keels

Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, you would think they could have at least edited out the mountains and desert landscape, even if they couldn't afford external shots. Everytime I see a mountain in the background it reminds me of the good old days of the A-team when they would be in Florida and the mountains were in the background and the beaches has rocky cliffs.

I really like Nathan Fillion's character and it makes me sentimental for Firefly. The only other slightly interesting story is the minivan mom.

Joe_H

Screenwriter
Pretty good episode, although I HATE these artificial cliffhangers at the end of episodes.

Also, I was thinking when they read the "Admit One" on the ticket, that all of the partners would be forced to split up.

It was pretty obvious to me though that it wasn't a real cop that took him.

I'm not quite sure whats going on with the minivan mom. She called the number where her son was being taken care of, and was told that she's not supposed to call there. That made me think that she gave the baby up for adoption to keep it safe from the husband. On the other hand, she keeps saying that she's in the race to protect her son, so that doesn't really make much sense.

One other thing I can't help but notice is wow, there are a ton of attractive girls involved in this show: Tully's partner, the bounty hunter, the daughter, the army guy's wife, and I'm sure there were a couple others I noticed.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg

You left out the absolutely hottest girl on the show: the Challenger. My God, they shouldn't be allowed to show that baby on network TV. I'm not even a car guy, and that got me all hot and bothered.

But, yeah . . . Army guy's wife has an incredible chassis.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks