What's new

Drive - ongoing thread (2 Viewers)

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
Looking at the list of shows that are either already canceled or "on the bubble", potentially I could lose about 70% of the shows I regularly watch. The only shows I watch that I know will be back for sure are Heroes, The Office, and 30 Rock (which may not get a full season).

Had Nathan Fillon not been in Drive I may have not watched it at all. It was nice seeing Amy Acker too (if only for a few seconds).

We need Joss Whedon to come back to TV and try to get these two together again in something.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> Again I refer to my movie example - who would go if there was some chance that you wouldn't see the ending?

There's always the rare chance of a power failure or something like that interrupting the movie, but wouldn't you get a refund or a free ticket for another showing? What are the odds there would be no future showing of the movie that you could attend?

I don't get the comparison. A better one would be this: a new movie comes out Friday and you plan to see it Sunday. However ticket sales are poor on Friday, so when you show up at the theatre on Sunday, they are showing reruns of House instead.

A lot of the shows mentioned here (like Bones) aren't ones with continuing storylines like Drive. It's sad when a network can't even commit to a 6-week run.

KevinGress

Supporting Actor

Yes, it is a bit selfish on my part, but it wouldn't be completely altruistic on FOX's part, either. By telling a complete story they would be telling the audience "see we won't shortchange you on story. Now, try these shows too" - which will pay dividends through increased viewership. And that's what networks are all about - buidling audiences.

And that's all I'm really saying here. If you're going to start a story, finish it! If you don't trust that it'll make you money as a series, give me a miniseries, or a 2 hour movie. If you don't think you'll make money as a 2 hour movie, then don't tell it.

KevinGress

Supporting Actor

The problem with your comparison is that the viewer hasn't seen anything yet. In mine they've seen part of the movie, but were denied the ending.

And I agree, it's sad. It's not like they ordered a full 20-22 episodes, this was supposed to basically resolve itself in 13. And yet, they couldn't even commit to that - filmed 6. Then they couldn't even bring themselves to show all 6. I understand it's a business, but is it good business if they turn off the people that they are trying so hard to entice?

FOX would have been better off asking Minear, "Can you tell the show in a 4 hour movie?"

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member

No, but as long as people keep putting up with it, they can only conclude they aren't turning off the people.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member

Actually, my family liked that show. It was pretty fun all in all. It did have the advantage of getting an Idol lead-in for the premiere. Then they put in on Friday and only a small portion of the audience followed it over. They did a pretty confusing thing with the 2nd and 3rd episodes there. They might have shown them out of order or maybe they didn't. They seemed to have some inconsistencies no matter how you thought of those two episodes. I tried to start a thread asking about it over at http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...=wedding+bells
but no one replied. I guess it definitely didn't appeal to most of the audience here.

Neil

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
A friend of mine went to see Scream 2, and the projector bulb blew just as they were revealing the identity of the killer. The sound kept going for a moment, though, so they heard who it was.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
I think that is a good analogy. However, to throw in Kevin's issue, OK. You start to watch the movie, and about a third of the way into it the theater decides not enough people showed up, so there gonna just turn off the movie, you can stay and watch a rerun of HOUSE if you'd like. :D

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
That's why they put them on that day -- no real impact to their ratings, but anyone fanatic about seeing them will still be able to see them (via DVR or whatever if necessary).

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
The real problem with July 4 is having to wait 2 months after only seeing 3 episodes & losing interest in the whole thing.

Why couldn't they show them on Sat night or something?

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
They wouldn't draw as well as America's Most Wanted or NASCAR.

The July 4th airings are just schedule filler - if they didn't have these two hours lying around, it would be House or Bones reruns, or maybe a movie.

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
In case anyone still cares, FOX has rescheduled the burn off of the final two episodes. The episodes are now scheduled to air on Friday, July 13 from 8-10 ET. I emphasize the phrase scheduled to air.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes

Does anybody remember when Fox Cancelled America's Most Wanted? There was a MAJOR Outcry from its fans, who deluged FOX with angry letters, to the tune of over 10,000 a day. Fox changed their mind, and brought the series back after it was off for about four months!

That outcry was the last time I ever saw a campaign to reverse a Network's Decision to cancel a show succeed until this year's "Nuts" Campaign with Jericho:D

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Sigh. I even looked at my TiVO To Do List last night and they were still scheduled to air on Wednesday. Ya know, just put the shows on as promised and be done with it already.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks