What's new

DRIVE ANGRY (3D) - POSTER & TRAILER (1 Viewer)

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis

SHOCK TILL YOU DROP: Drive Angry (photo gallery) is the tough-as-nails, supernatural, high-octane thriller that reunites My Bloody Valentine 3D's Patrick Lussier and Todd Farmer (director and writer, respectively). It stars Nicolas Cage, William Fichtner, Amber Heard, David Morse, Billy Burke and, cult fave, Tom Atkins in the tale of a felon (Cage) who breaks free of hell's grasp to stop the cult responsible for his daughter's death and intends to sacrifice her baby under the light of a full moon (more on the plot right here).

Today, Shock Till You Drop is happy to debut the official one-sheet for the film which opens February 11, 2011 from Summit Entertainment. Sure, the image downplays the supernatural elements, but you can go wrong with throwing Amber Heard in our face. Note, too, that it emphasizes "shot in 3D," for the more discriminating audience members out there tired of the post-converted 3D films.

Read up on the making of the film in our set report. You'll also find our Comic-Con interviews right here.

Never heard of this movie until now . . . looks interesting . . . need to see that trailer before I commit, though.

UPDATE: By the looks of the trailer, I'm not interested. Gonna skip it.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
The trailer left me underwhelmed. Looking more forward to Cage's GHOST RIDER sequel.

neli

Grip
Real Name
neli moss
I have not heard about drive angry movie yet but i really like the thread that you have posted shawn.I am now planning to watch this movie in spare time.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I had to smile at the words - SHOT IN 3D - on the poster. As if to say "this is the real deal folks, no half-assed conversion jobs here".

Might be a fun film.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Nic Cage is John Milton, and it appears he's on a mission to save his grandchild from the clutches of a charismatic cult leader Jonah (Billy Burke) from sacrificing the baby under a full moon, and Milton appears to have escaped from hell, and is being tracked down by the Accountant (William Fichtner, in a playful turn). Along the way, Milton comes across Piper, and after an extended bit of introductions, they travel in order to find Jonah and his grandchild before it's too late.

Drive Angry's running time is about 105 minutes (before credits reel), but given its storyline, there's probably a good 90 minute cut that would be just as entertaining and would not drag as much as its theatrical cut.

There are some cute sequences (one was reminiscent of a coitus scene from "Shoot'em Up" that also shows up in this movie) showcasing some decent gun violence, and car chases. Amber Heard looked fine in her daisy duke cut-off jeans, and swore like a sailor here and there. Good use of their R rating for the most part. But the film has a lack of flow, so it starts and stops and the overall plot just doesn't deliver in an interesting manner. So, the script and the direction could have been tighter and better.

I give it 2 stars, or a grade of C.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I pretty much agree with Patrick on this one. I see that it's bombing at the box office, which is easy to understand. GRINDHOUSE and this film try to pay homage to $25,000 movies so they spend $50+ million to do so? I'd love to see these type of bad "B" movies back on the big screen but it looks like producers would see their appeal is slim and cut down on the budgets.

Drive Angry (2011)

Patrick Lussier

DRIVE ANGRY isn't a good film plain and simple. There's no way to spin it but this is a rather bad movie but I believe that was the intent so how do you rate such a film? If you enjoy those "B" movies from the 70s that would play after midnight at the drive-in then you might find yourself enjoying this Nicolas Cage flick. In the film Cage plays Milton, a man who escapes from Hell and comes to Earth to kill the Satanist (Billy Burke) who slit his daughter's throat and stole her newborn baby. Along the way Milton teams up with a sexy waitress (Amber Heard) as they try to bring down the cult, save the baby and get away from a mysterious figure known simply as The Accountant (William Fichtner). If you're familiar with such films as RACE WITH THE DEVIL, DAUGHTER OF SATAN and countless other horror films that deals with Satan worshipers then you should know where this film is going. Everything you'd expect from a grindhouse picture is here including the car chases, bloody murders, wild sex scenes and of course full frontal nudity. DRIVE ANGRY doesn't try to be a slick blockbuster and it doesn't even try to be a good movie. It sets out to be a trashy throwback and on that level it certainly works but at the same time I think the film falls short due to some simple problems that could have easily been fixed. For starters, the film runs 105-minutes, which is simply way too long for this type of movie. The film likes to gain speed only to slow down and then pick the speed back up. This happens from start to finish so it's hard to get a real good flow going. These slower moments could have easily been edited out and you'd be left with a much more entertaining film. The violence in the film is pretty wild as we get various body parts cut off, heads split open and just about every body part gets shot at least once. Director Lussier knows how to film action sequences and we get some pretty good chases that are certainly going to remind people of those films from the 70s. We get one real trashy sequence where Cage is with some cheap woman in a hotel room having sex with her while at the same time blowing people away. Cage is very laid back here and I'm sure most are going to see the performance and say it's lazy and bad. I think that was done on purpose and it works. Cage isn't trying to give a LEAVING LAS VEGAS type performance. He's just playing a bad mutha and he does fine doing that. Heard is pretty good as the sidekick and Burke does a nice job as the crazed Satanic leader. I thought Fichtner was a lot of fun as the mystery man and it was great seeing David Morse, Tom Atkins and Jack McGee in their roles. The screenplay is pretty basic in terms of story but we certainly didn't need anything ground-breaking here. Again, the film accomplishes what it set out to do but I think a shorter running time would have made it more entertaining because this is certainly a case where less is more. The 3D effects were actually fairly good as we get the typical stuff with blood, body parts and various other things just flying at you. It certainly helped put you in the middle of the action. I'm not typically a fan of 3D but this is one case where it worked well.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
I really liked it a lot. You can click the link in my signature for my full thoughts. But despite my love for it, I'm not really that surprised by the performance--the marketing was pretty poor, plus, after the Grindhouse fiasco, it's clear that audiences don't care for this low-budget, drive-in throwbacks. It's a shame; it deserves better.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks