What's new

Drew Carey Season 9 set to air (1 Viewer)

MishaLauenstein

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Misha Lauenstein
Starting on Wednesday, June 2, ABC will air two episodes a week of "The Drew Carey Show" starting at 9 p.m. ET.

I still haven't managed to catch all of Season 8 thanks to ABC yanking it all over the schedule last year.

Hopefully they will stick to their announcement of two episodes in a row every Wednesday night.

Wednesday night is where people were watching it before ABC put it on Sunday or whatever it was that killed off the audience.

Wouldn't it be ironic of three straight months of Wednesday night double-airings built up a huge audience in the wake of reality-overload and the finales of several long-running sitcoms.

Hang on. Wednesday? It's not going to be up against the Amazing Race, is it?

Grr.

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
It's about time. Even though this show got a silly in the end, I still like Drew Carey, and didn't think he deserved the shaft like that from ABC.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
No, The Amazing Race will be on Tuesdays, and not until July.

And Drew Carey died on Mondays, after what initially seemed like a good idea - pairing it with Monday Night Football backfired disastrously (losing Christa Miller didn't help, either).

Brett_H

Second Unit
Weird timing, I was just wondering the other night (after looking at my shabby pool table) whatever happened to this show.

Is there a good guide somewhere that could catch me up on what I missed the past few years? Last I remember his British boss turned out to be a coke-head and was headed to rehab...

Thanks,
-Brett.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
They moved it all over the place it was on Wednesday then shifted to Monday, then it ended up on Friday for awhile, then they took it off the schedule...brought it back in the summer...I like Drew and if I can remember to I will check out the last season, but I did lose interest in the show over the years, and it wasn't just because Christa Miller left or because of the shifts in days and times, all the gimmicky episodes didn't help.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I hadn't realized it was even coming back. I haven't watched the show for a couple of seasons, so I hadn't really missed it. I might try to catch some of this season's shows.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
The only reason we're getting this "Season 9" is due to the fact that ABC renewed the show early in Season 7 for two more years. Just two months later the bottom fell out of the ratings for the show, but it was too late for ABC to rescind the renewal. They tried to buy their way out of the contract, but found it would actually cost them more money than letting it stay in production.

So, for the last two years, ABC has been burning this show off during the Summer. In fact, they never even aired all of the produced shows for Season 8 last year!

And, by the way, even if the show turns into a huge hit over the summer (unlikely, with the NBA playoffs extending into July this year, followed by the Summer Olympics), they've already filmed the final episode and wrapped production. It's not coming back.

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
I stopped watching it after Lewis and Oswald turned into cartoon characters and the show took a turn for the absurd. It had always been off beat, but it was funny first. I've been watching some of the older episodes from the middle of the show's run, when they really captured the friendship dynamic and the everyman feel for Drew, and really enjoyed them. L&O were sarcastic, not morons, but ultimately, no matter how much they ripped on each other, they were friends. That's what they need to return to, to ground the show before they do the crazy stuff like the April Fool's episodes.

MattGentry

Second Unit
Just watched it tonight. Not quite as good as I remembered it, but still good.

And I for one loved the gimmicky episodes. It's all gravy, as they say...

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I like the second episode more than the first one. Having Lewis helped in bringing the funny/disturby.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
She bolted to "Scrubs" because her hubby created that show, and the character of "Jordan" for her.

Mike Wilk

Stunt Coordinator
I was talking to a friend after the second show and scanned my Tivo looking for the next airing ... 2:05 AM on June 10th in this neighborhood. I checked it twice, they are listed as new, 2004 shows.

Talk about burying a show.

YMMV

oops - just did a quick check at the ABC site and TitanTV, it's pre-empted locally for a Billy Graham thingy ...

Don Black

Screenwriter
Silently drifting into TV oblivion, "The Drew Carey Show" aired its last episode last night titled "Finale." It wasn't terribly funny but it was good to see a lot of the old cast together again (Mr. Wick but not Kate). The show certainly has gone down hill over the last couple of years but I enjoyed it thoroughly during seasons 2-4.

I do kind of despise ABC for skipping over the second to last episode last night (title "The Passion of the Wick") for sports highlights.

Lee Jamilkowski

Stunt Coordinator
Season nine was pretty funny, even considering ABC gave it the shaft (the season had some story arcs and it was confusing considering most episodes were aired out of order). Seeing Drew adjusting to impending parenthood was pretty good, and Kellie really grew on me.

Unfortunately, our local ABC station (WJLA in Washington, DC) did not air the second to last episode. Instead, they figured, for whatever reasoning, that we viewers would rather watch a special about social security. Oh, did I mention that TiVo cut off the very end of the finale? Please, networks, please give accurate TV listings to TiVo. Please.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks