What's new

Dreamcast Component cables??? (1 Viewer)

William Ward

Supporting Actor
Are there any component cables available for the Dreamcast system??? I remember a while back that someone had one hooked up to a HDTV. I just hooked my PS1 up to my 55" and it was UGLY!!!
Since I'm big into football I thought I could go with the Dreamcast system and NCAA 2K2 for less than the price of the PS2.
Or should I wait for the XBox and use it as a game system and progressive scan player??
------------------
William
Go Bucs!!
MyDVDs

Kip

Stunt Coordinator
No component out unfortunately. The system does have VGA out through a VGA box/adaptor which is stunning. On a monitor, the graphics are truly incredible. If your TV supports VGA, pick up an adaptor. You'll smoke your PS2 buddies.

MikeT

Auditioning
Is it worth getting the DC VGA adapter, then picking up a VGA-to-Component adapter for 480P ? Do most of the games take advantage of this?

Steve Bjorg

Stunt Coordinator
To answer the second half of your question: about 95% of the DC games support VGA. Not supporting VGA is the exception and most of those can be forced into VGA mode using DC-X.

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
A transcoder is at lest $100 or so right? I've thought about doing it, as it would be nice to have everything hooked up to my RPTV using component cables, but I'm using the VGA input on my TV and it rocks. VGA on a dreamcast kicks much b*tt.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
If i had a digital TV, i wouldnt even think twice before i spend $100 on a transcoder. Just the sight of Dreamcast in VGA resolutions at 60" is just stunning.. or so i hear

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
It depends upon you and your tv. If you have an Xbox, try running the same game in 480p and then 480i. This will give you a good idea of what to expect from a Dreamcast running a VGA adapter and a VGA to component box (since you are basically boosting the signal from 480i to 480p).

-Dave

Romar Armas

Second Unit
Also, if your TV upconverts all signal to 480p like my TW40X81 does, you need the transcoder for the guns to work. House of the Dead 2 is amazing in VGA mode on an HDTV.

Patrick_L

Second Unit
another fan of Dreamcast VGA. have had the Performance brand VGA converter since it was made available. best $40 bucks i've ever spent. i dont have an HDTV till later this year, but on my pc monitor it's amazing how good it looks. easily rivals other platforms current games.

TimG

Second Unit
I just recently got around to playing NFL2K1 on my dreamcast. Going through a $15 Hais vga converter to my crt projector. Playing football on a 6 foot wide screen is pretty cool. Now if I could just find more time to do it. :D
TimG

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks