What's new

Dream Theater - Train of Thought (1 Viewer)

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I for one hope this is a one-off "metal" project that doesn't indicate the band's future direction.
To be honest, it feels like one-off projects since FII, which is the last time they had major producer influence. Since then, they've said, "screw it, we'll do whatever we feel like doing at the time, with whatever influences we happen to have at the time."

In some cases, I think it is too bad, since while FII was a mixed bag, it also probably has the best song they have ever written ("Lines In The Sand"). Since then, they've kinda defined themselves by excess and whomever they've decided to sound like this week. Also, with Kevin gone, I can't say that they really have great songwriters.

That's not to say that I don't enjoy them. These are insanely talented guys, who can play whatever they want to well. It is just with better focus, they could be a great band, rather than just a good one.

On the other hand, things could be worse. They could be Queensryche. :frowning:

Jason

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Jason, while I love FII as well, remember that most consider it to be their weakest album (I don't- When Day and Dream Unite wins that prize in my book). I don't know if that influenced their direction, but it may have been a factor and I understand if they never go back to writing songs like Peruvian Skies.

One thing about DT is that, like Marillion, each album is a reaction to the last one since FII. That was their "song" album. Then with Jordan and, according to my observation, the almost complete abandonment of the pursuit of cross-over success, came the ultra-prog concept album in Scenes From a Memory. Then then orchestral suite structrure and odd song-writing styles of Six Degrees. And now the (relatively) streamlined heavy metal album.

I like Kevin Moore, too, but dude, that was like 10 years ago. If that's such a major thorn in your side, I'm surprised you're still listening to them. They've already one their 2nd keyboard player since then.

Since then, they've said, "screw it, we'll do whatever we feel like doing at the time, with whatever influences we happen to have at the time."
Yeah, ain't it great? :)
One of the reasons I like their last few albums is because it's clear that they're having fun with the music. DT has always worn their influences on their sleeves, and most DT fans love the same music they do. They're not just playing music, they're playing with the music. I'm thrilled that there's a DT story album, a double half-song half-concept album, a all-out metal album, etc. There's a DT for all seasons. They're giving us a diverse body of work.

Kevin Golding

Stunt Coordinator
DT is my favorite band and on my third listening so far, the new CD is growing on me. I didn't really like 6DOIT at first, either, but now it's one of my favorites (Awake is still #1). At first all I heard were the Metallica and Black Sabbath influences, and of course, the technical virtuosity we've come to expect from DT. The more I listen, I hear more of the craftsmanship in the songs that got me hooked on Dream Theater in the first place.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Yeah, ain't it great?
Well, one of the biggest beefs that people have had with 6 Degrees was that they wore their influences on their sleeve far too much, that it was far too obvious. It wasn't a problem with me, but it was for some.

Jason

Peter Mazur

Second Unit

Mike,

This is an illogical statement. Dream Theater were never about 100mph music. They combined crunch with prog in a way that no other band had before. Metallica was alway a heavy band and for better or worse have gone back to that with their new release.

Of the three songs I've heard form this new album, it is just noise. Mindless solo's with no melody.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Well, after a couple of listens it's starting to grow on me but there are parts that I'm not sure I'll ever come around to. That sort of fast talking, rap-like singing that occurs in 'This Dying Soul' is not a favorite of mine. A minor gripe, I know but it still influences my initial reaction.

Anyway, I may not fall in love with ToT like I have with past efforts but I like that DT is not recreating the same album over and over again.

Steve Crowley

Stunt Coordinator
This band has always been at the forefront of prog rock. They have always been way ahead of what their peers have tried. No one is even close to what these guys can do. Liquid Tension Experiment is as close to what we can claim as a prog rock ultimate band. There have been others such as Return to Forever, Mahavishnu Orchestra and Larry Coryell
but then there were Genesis,ELP,King Crimson etc. I would like to hear what kind of guitar player that even comes close to what John Petrucci does on any of his albums. I know of Steve Vai, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Larry Coryell, Paco De Lucia or any other finger fretter that comes close. Of course one must remember the great Eric Clapton,T-Bone Walker, Ellen McIlvane, BB King and such. This band is one of the most diversified kind of bands that can play anything they want. I am sure there are flames for this but after being educated on guitar,trumpet and brass instruments
I am convinced that these guys will be around long after all those so called radio friendly groups that have a hit for a couple of years these guys will still be selling a couple of million albums a year when their peers are trying to find a new band to create. Cheers.

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
I for one hope this is a one-off "metal" project that doesn't indicate the band's future direction. In my opinion, it's DT's weakest effort. It may excite fans of Pantera, Metallica, and Slayer (no offense to fans of those bands and I count myself as a casual fan), but DT is not that type of band, in my opinion.
Amen.

I understand that this was kind of a one-off experiment album, but after the magnum opus that is Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence, which I feel to be one of the 10 greatest prog albums of all time, Train of Thought comes as a major disappointment to this listener. Where are the melodies? Where's the songcraft? It's very chunky and heavy, but I really have no time for that if it's not in the service of good songwriting. Chunk and balls for their own sake bore the hell out of me. I like DT because they go an extra step--a step they have omitted this time around.

Hopefully their next album will continue along the road their last two fantastic albums began.

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
To me, the heavy hook riffs that I'm hearing in every song have a lot more power to them then anything the band did in the past.
I disagree - Awake was huge. I've listened to this disc a few more times and now really enjoy it. Some great hooks and some traditional DT "moments". I still feel that John solo's aren't much more than chromatic exercises, except with a band instead of a metronome. I also still feel that the bass and keyboards are too far back in the mix. Previous efforts have been more balanced (ex. Change of Seasons). That said a band of this calibre is expected to do different things. It would be somewhat hypocritical of a progressive rock group to rehash the same material.

Not their strongest album in my opinion but it still rocks and is another chapter in an amazing musical history.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
After a few more listens, I have the following comments:

As I Am sounds like it came right off Metallica's Black Album, and reminds me of Sad But True. Not a bad song, but not very original, either.

Dying Soul is probably my favorite song on the album, yet fails to hold my interest past the piano solo.

In the Name of God is okay, but I'm getting a bit tired of DT's frequent use of middle eastern sounding riffs. What made Home one of my favorite DT songs is now starting to sound overdone.

likestowatch

Stunt Coordinator

Frequent use? Haven't they only done that twice now? So what? Up until Jordan joined the band JP had been playing in the major scale and it's mode's for the past decade and a half. It's a good thing and fits the song quite well considering the lyrics.

Overall, I dig the new album. Took me a few spins to adjust to the guitar sound, but I like it. Myung is heard quite clearly on this album and I like how Jordan has been pushed slightly out of the mix. Hopefully the 5.1 mix will be released. I think Electra is holding off to see how well ToT does for the company before printing and distributing the 5.1 version of the album.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks