What's new

Drc Modes On A Sony Tv (hdtv Ready) (1 Viewer)

EduardoBonifaz

Stunt Coordinator
I RECENTLY BOUGHT A SONY TV (WIDESCREEN HDTV READY) MODEL KP51 HW40, IT FEATURES A LINE DOUBLER CALLED "DIGITAL REALITY CREATION", WITH 3 MODES ON IT: PROGRESSIVE, INTERLACED AND CINEMOTIO (3:2 PULLDOWN DETECTION), I ´VE BEEN WATCHING DVD´S ( 480i), SAT TV (NOT hdtv) AND VHS TAPES, ALTERNATING THE DIFFERENTE MODES OF DRC, BUT I´M NOT ABLE TO DISTINGUISH ANY DIFFERENCE, THE PICURE WITH DVD´S (CONNECTED WITH COMPONENT VIDEO CABLES) IS GREAT, SAT TV AND VHS LOOK FINE, BUT i DON´T KNOW WHY THERE IS NOT MUCH DIFFERENCE ALTERNATING THE DIFFERENT DRC MODES, ANY HELP WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED

JackS

Supporting Actor
Ed; As a new Sony WS owner and still trying to learn something about my new set, I did come across a simular question posted a week or so ago. The way I understand it, if your using a progressive scan DVDP, the player itself will do the progression and DRC is unabled in the Sony. The DRC only becomes useful in other HD sources such as HD OTA, cable or satallite. If I've made some inaccurate assumptions, I'm sure I'll soon be corrected. Really enjoying my new Sony.

lee.b

Stunt Coordinator
I started a thread on this topic a couple days ago..still waiting for more replies. In the meantime...

I thought,in a general sense, it was better to let the tv do the progressive work, as opposed to the dvd player. Although, I may have this confused with another function.

I use "Cinemotion" for non progressive DVD viewing, and I use "Interlaced" for regular cable TV, and I don't use "Progressive" as my understanding it is for still images.

From what I understand.. could be wrong... but I've done a little reading. Is that "Cinemotion" helps during the motion or panning of a camera on a DVD. Is during the motion that lines are smoothed and the artifacts or imperfections are lessened. The "Interlaced", from what I understand (again, could be wrong here), attempts to simulate increased resolution or scanning of a normal tv signal, such as cable. So in theory the picture should be improved in this mode. "Progressive" is for static images such as photographs.

I joined this yahoo news group and it provided some pretty good information as far as Sony TV's.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sonyhs10

I hope this helps, but I too am just learning about my TV, so my ignorance could be misleading.

Jimmy vb

Stunt Coordinator
I have a model with the adjustable drc. I cannot tell a dime's worth of difference between the three modes(interlaced, progressive and cinemotion). It is irrelevant for progressive scan dvd(disabled through component inputs. The palette choices(clarity vs. reality) on the models with adjustable drc DO make a difference. My preferred mode is both turned nearly to zero--each on about 5. You can play around with it to see which you like best. It is not a bad line doubler for a built in--though I recently bought an iscan plus to override it--the difference is very subtle between drc and the iscan plus(maybe the ultra is more noticeable).

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
I can tell a difference on my 32HV600. I find interlaced to be the clearest for some reason. Cinemotion enables the 2:3 pulldown and is supposed to be best for film based stuff but I find interlaced to be the clearest and most detailed.

JasonRH

Second Unit
I owned the XBR-450 previously and Cinemotion did reduce jagged edges in screen pans etc... The effect is subtle but it is there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks