What's new

dragnet - the new(ish) series (1 Viewer)

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Please can anyone tell me how the modernised Dragnet (the one starring the guy who used to play Al Bundy) was received in the States, and whether there's likely to be more than one series of it?

The series sort of slipped out under the radar over here. It started a couple of weeks ago here in the UK at a fairly unpropitious time in the schedules. I caught the first episode by chance and to my surprise quite enjoyed it. I know it's not the original (I saw a few episodes when I was a small kid, but it's not been on Brit TV in literally decades), but I like cop shows that concentrate on crime solving rather than thinking they're dramatic masterpieces. A personal thing only, but I have an aversion to cop shows where there's as much time spent on police corruption and cops agonising about their lousy private lives as there is on investigating crimes. Plus, there's a hint of CSI about it, and CSI I love.

Anyway, any news on it State-side?

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
It's Being Renamed LA Dragnet and will be on Saturdays at 10pm this fall. It did OK but probably won't survive on Sat next season

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
It's supposedly also getting retooled - the only thing people know will remain the same is Ed O'Neil as Joe Friday.

It was received OK here; when it first appeared, a lot of the critics were focused on how grisly the murders in the first episode or two were, especially compared to the original. By the time it had finished its run, though, I think it had been recognized as a pretty good cop show, although there's sort of a glut of those right now.

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
I liked it alot. I think Ed O'Neil did a great job losing the "Al Bundy" pigeonhole. The series was well written, kept my attention, and had some surprises.

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
Looks like Dragnet is making it's way to DVD soon.

http://www.dvdfile.com/software/dvd-...003/09_02.html

Rounding out today's news, it is the return of Dragnet... 2003 style. On November 11th, Universal Studios Home Video will release Dragnet: Season One Collection. This three-disc set includes all twelve first season episodes presented in 1.78:1 anamorphic widescreen and Dolby Digital 5.1, and there are no extras. Retail is $39.95.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks