What's new

Dracula (1979) - Is there any chance of a re-release? (1 Viewer)

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor
There's a lot about this movie to like: the John Williams score, Olivier's turn as Van Helsing, Donald Pleasance as Dr. Seward. But Langella makes an awful Dracula, IMO. This version is worse in the goofy-romance dept. than Coppola's.

I need to at least rent this sometime, though; haven't seen it since it first came out.

DeanR

Second Unit
Real Name
Dean
Yes, the love scene was over the top. Dave, I doubt Frankie had any problems with scoring with the ladies after this flick came out or before, even if he was a diva ;) . Pleasence and Olivier were very good in this movie. But, back to the DVD, I will give it a spin this weekend to see what you guys are talking about.

Patrick H.

Second Unit
"How dare that asshole mention Karloff!" ;)

This thread prompted me to Netflix its subject, as I'd been meaning to check it out for years. Disco lasers and Harlequin romance-novel elements aside, it's actually a pretty good little film. It's kind of a big melting pot for cool ideas from various prior Dracula adaptations...there are lots of nods to Lugosi and the Hammers, although Langella's performance is unique. Another thing I liked was how it upholds a lot of the traditional vampire mythos, but doesn't make a big deal out of it. Olivier was also a terrific choice as a frail Van Helsing with a will of iron. Not exactly Peter Cushing, but well-played.

Although it definitely stood out as revisionist tinkering (in that no film I can think of from the 70s has a desaturated look like that), I grew to rather like the blanched colors. And that John Williams score is terrific!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks