What's new

Dracula (1979) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
Felix Martinez said:
Just finished watching the new blu-ray.I saw this theatrically back in the summer of '79 and exactly one year later, it was one of the first films I saw at home, "uncut, commercial-free" on a pay-tv service called ONTV.I would be lying if I told you I recall the color, the densities and the overall look of the film. I do recall being mesmerized, spooked, and enthralled with the performances, music, photography, and atmosphere.I would, however, be truthful in recalling the greater horror when in the 1990s the desaturated version first appeared - I believe - on letterboxed laserdisc, and then on DVD. It looked so wrong to my eyes that I called it unwatchable at the time and I have not seen the film in over 15 years.And yet something compelled me to pick up the just-released blu-ray.Imagine, to my surprise, that for the first time, I enjoyed and drank in the film, pun intended.While I am not a fan of Badham's desaturated revisionism, on HD it plays so much better. As was said by Bob Cashill above, it looks quite handsome. That's the perfect word. Fleshtones sometimes appear spotty, but there are sequences with definite color in them, and were startling in contrast.The audio was also glorious; John William's score never sounded better.Glad I picked it up.
I have to agree. There is more color than you might think. The sound is great also with the terrific score from John Williams. Don't write off this release.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I respect those that are passing on this release. We each have our own limits on what we will accept when we "vote with our wallets."

Like someone else mentioned, it is too bad both versions are not available on this release. Right or wrong, I prefer the de-saturated look, so buying for me was always an easy decision, though I would have gladly paid $10 more to have a version that also included the original color as released to theaters.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Felix Martinez said:
A new transfer of the same film element? Slightly different framing. And as I suspected, a hint of warmer color in the faces in some scenes. Also, less noise reduction - note pinpricks of light on Ms. Nelligan's forehead.
Not sure, note the black speck in this shot, the dvd doesn't have it, maybe that speck is a bat or a bird, seems to be 2 of them, hard to say as it's small but, i would imagine if it's a bird or a bat, then it moves when watching the film.

I would imagine the dvd had some automated scratch removal which can also take out things which are part of the image.

http://caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/multi_comparison.php?disc1=4657&disc2=4658&cap1=43317&cap2=43325&art=full&image=4&hd_multiID=1906&action=1&lossless=#vergleich

Note the last few shots in that comparison showing the ropes.

http://caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/multi_comparison.php?disc1=4657&disc2=4658&art=full&cap1=43320&cap2=43328&hd_multiID=1906&lossless=&image=7#auswahl

I still think Universal has some sharpening applied and noticeable in some scenes like the above, still it's nowhere near as bad as some of their earlier titles, i think i may buy it, that would mean i have 4 Dracula titles in my blu ray collection.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Can anyone please tell me if the video/audio bitrates are exactly the same with the German release?
Code:
PLAYLIST REPORT:Name:                   00800.MPLSLength:                 1:49:04.663 (h:m:s.ms)Size:                   32.756.109.312 bytesTotal Bitrate:          40,04 MbpsVIDEO:Codec                   Bitrate             Description     -----                   -------             -----------     MPEG-4 AVC Video        31993 kbps          1080p / 23,976 fps / 16:9 / High Profile 4.1AUDIO:Codec                           Language        Bitrate         Description     -----                           --------        -------         -----------     DTS-HD Master Audio             English         2046 kbps       2.0 / 48 kHz / 2046 kbps / 24-bit (DTS Core: 2.0 / 48 kHz / 1509 kbps / 24-bit)DTS Audio                       French          768 kbps        2.0 / 48 kHz / 768 kbps / 24-bitDTS Audio                       German          448 kbps        2.0 / 48 kHz / 448 kbps / 24-bitDTS Audio                       Spanish         448 kbps        2.0 / 48 kHz / 448 kbps / 24-bitDTS Audio                       Portuguese      448 kbps        2.0 / 48 kHz / 448 kbps / 24-bitDTS Audio                       Spanish         448 kbps        2.0 / 48 kHz / 448 kbps / 24-bitDTS Audio                       Russian         448 kbps        2.0 / 48 kHz / 448 kbps / 24-bitSUBTITLES:Codec                           Language        Bitrate         Description     -----                           --------        -------         -----------     Presentation Graphics           English         29,452 kbps                     Presentation Graphics           French          17,071 kbps                     Presentation Graphics           German          27,348 kbps                     Presentation Graphics           Spanish         24,376 kbps                     Presentation Graphics           Portuguese      24,223 kbps                     Presentation Graphics           Spanish         23,332 kbps                     Presentation Graphics           Russian         24,782 kbps                     Presentation Graphics           Chinese         18,413 kbps                     Presentation Graphics           Czech           20,976 kbps                     Presentation Graphics           Dutch           23,753 kbps                     Presentation Graphics           Greek           26,393 kbps                     Presentation Graphics           Hungarian       24,490 kbps                     Presentation Graphics           Korean          16,357 kbps                     Presentation Graphics           Polish          20,379 kbps                     Presentation Graphics           Portuguese      24,512 kbps                     Presentation Graphics           Thai            20,857 kbps                     Presentation Graphics           Turkish         24,152 kbps                     Presentation Graphics           Chinese         18,989 kbps                     Presentation Graphics           French          0,080 kbps                      Presentation Graphics           German          0,048 kbps                      Presentation Graphics           Portuguese      2,221 kbps                      Presentation Graphics           Spanish         0,158 kbps

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks