What's new

DRACULA (1931) On Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Perhaps my search efforts have been incomplete, but as nothing of the 1931 Universal classic DRACULA has turned up in this Forum's Blu-ray section (On its own, at least!), here goes:

The current definitive version of this 1931 classic that stars Bela Lugosi is the 2014 Universal standalone Blu-ray release:
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Dracula-and-Dracula-Version-in-Spanish-Blu-ray/49177/#Review

The above single disc release can rightly be considered an abbreviated version of the 2014 DRACULA: COMPLETE LEGACY COLLECTION DVD set, in that it also includes the Spanish Language version and nearly all of the bonus features.

What it doesn't include that are a part of the aforementioned Legacy Collection set are the 1936 - 1948 Dracula related features, and the Trailer for THE HOUSE OF FRANKENSTEIN (1943), along with the extras that are included with ABBOTT & COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN (1948).

The same standalone DRACULA Blu-ray content can also be found within Universal's 2 prior Essential Collection sets:

Universal Classic Monsters: The Essential Collection Blu-ray (1931 - 1954) -
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Universal-Classic-Monsters-The-Essential-Collection-Blu-ray/35661/
2012 Universal Home Video Release

Universal Classic Monsters Collection Blu-ray
(1931 - 1941) -
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Universal-Classic-Monsters-Collection-Blu-ray/93890/
2013 Universal Home Video Release

So, when will there be a DRACULA: COMPLETE LEGACY COLLECTION Blu-ray release?

At the present, it's anyone's guess!

Anthony S. Bensley

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
The Dracula set will probably be out next September and so will either The Invisible Man or The Creature From The Black Lagoon sets. Or maybe if we're lucky, all three of them will be out next year.
General speculation seems to be The Mummy will likely be next, with the upcoming June 2017 Theatrical release of the latest Mummy reboot.

That said, a next September release seems plausible to me. Dracula would be the one I'd hope for, with The Mummy and The Creature my least favorites. Just my opinion.

Great as it would be to get all 4 remaining Universal Monster sets out next year, 2 at a time appears to be the way Universal is going with these, at present. Time will tell, of course!

CHEERS! :)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
General speculation seems to be The Mummy will likely be next, with the upcoming June 2017 Theatrical release of the latest Mummy reboot.
Duh, I forgot The Mummy. :) I didn't even know they were doing another Mummy but it's a flip of the coin if they'll release The 'original' Mummy in conjunction with the theatrical release of the new one in the summer or if they'll tie it into the Blu-ray/DVD of the remake in September or October. The funny thing is that the two movie series will probably be so unrelated to each other that there's no need to try to tie them together.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Perhaps my search efforts have been incomplete, but as nothing of the 1931 Universal classic DRACULA has turned up in this Forum's Blu-ray section (On its own, at least!), here goes:

The current definitive version of this 1931 classic that stars Bela Lugosi is the 2014 Universal standalone Blu-ray release:
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Dracula-and-Dracula-Version-in-Spanish-Blu-ray/49177/#Review

Anthony S. Bensley
If the box set contains all the extras and is the same transfer as the standalone, why do you call the standalone the definitive version?

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
If the box set contains all the extras and is the same transfer as the standalone, why do you call the standalone the definitive version?
An argument could be made that they are BOTH equally definitive. I tend to lean toward the standalone only because it doesn't require the acquisition of the other Universal Monster Features, although many may prefer the latter option.

I'm assuming the box sets (I've found there are actually 2!) you're referring to are the 8 and 6 Movie Essential Universal Monsters Blu-ray sets, as the latest Dracula Complete Legacy Collection has only been released on DVD; and as such, can hardly be considered definitive in the face of what else is currently available in HD.

Hope this clears things up a bit?

Last edited:

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
An argument could be made that they are BOTH equally definitive. I tend to lean toward the standalone only because it doesn't require the acquisition of the other Universal Monster Features, although many may prefer the latter option.

I'm assuming the box sets (I've found there are actually 2!) you're referring to are the 8 and 6 Movie Essential Universal Monsters Blu-ray sets, as the latest Dracula Complete Legacy Collection has only been released on DVD; and as such, can hardly be considered definitive in the face of what else is currently available in HD.

Hope this clears things up a bit?

I was confused because it appeared you were saying the standalone was better than the one in the set. I think if a person owns the set or the standalone, he has the definitive version. :)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Earlier today, I put in an order on Amazon Canada for this Dracula Blu-ray:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00LC084A0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Although I'm a bit short of funds, at $13.99, I didn't want to pass this up. By grouping this with a pre-order for the upcoming IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE (1953) 3-D / 2-D Blu-ray release (October 4, 2016), I didn't have to.

While not a required prerequisite, the included Ultra-Violet Digital File of the Film is a nice little bonus!

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
The original set of Legacy DVDs was released as part of the buildup for Van Helsing - staring the Australian actor known for the London stage version of Rogers & Hammerstein's Oklahoma ... Hugh Jackman - there was supposed to be a sequel but that never happened ...

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
The original set of Legacy DVDs was released as part of the buildup for Van Helsing - staring the Australian actor known for the London stage version of Rogers & Hammerstein's Oklahoma ... Hugh Jackman - there was supposed to be a sequel but that never happened ...
I believe those first Legacy sets consisted of Dracula, Frankenstein, and The Wolf Man, with the other Universal Monsters included in the subsequent Legacy Reissues.

While I didn't see it in the Theater, I did catch VAN HELSING (2004) on DVD, and did find it an interesting twist at the time. I did however agree with my late Sister-in-law, who rather enjoyed this Film, that it was more Science Fiction than Horror.

How interesting that the Legacy Franchise has long outlasted the one that it was meant to help promote! It'll be interesting to see how THE MUMMY and other upcoming reboots fare, and subsequently hold up by comparison.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I believe those first Legacy sets consisted of Dracula, Frankenstein, and The Wolf Man, with the other Universal Monsters included in the subsequent Legacy Reissues.
That is correct with the *first* release being a special collection containing all three collections and busts of Dracula, Frankenstein, and the Wolf Man.
51GNHPFQNJL.jpg

My kids gave me that set for my birthday that year. Those busts are spectacular looking - *very* authentic.

I still lament that Universal didn't see fit to make a sister set with The Invisible Man, The Mummy, and The Creature from the Black Lagoon. I was looking forward to adding those to my mantle with the first set.

While I didn't see it in the Theater, I did catch VAN HELSING (2004) on DVD, and did find it an interesting twist at the time. I did however agree with my late Sister-in-law, who rather enjoyed this Film, that it was more Science Fiction than Horror.

How interesting that the Legacy Franchise has long outlasted the one that it was meant to help promote! It'll be interesting to see how THE MUMMY and other upcoming reboots fare, and subsequently hold up by comparison.

I enjoyed Van Helsing but it's not even close to being as good as even the lesser of the "Universal Classic Monster" films of the 30s-50s. I'm not holding my breath for The Mummy reboot either, but I *do* think it'll hurry along "The Mummy Legacy Collection" release on BR.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
That is correct with the *first* release being a special collection containing all three collections and busts of Dracula, Frankenstein, and the Wolf Man.
51GNHPFQNJL.jpg

My kids gave me that set for my birthday that year. Those busts are spectacular looking - *very* authentic.

I still lament that Universal didn't see fit to make a sister set with The Invisible Man, The Mummy, and The Creature from the Black Lagoon. I was looking forward to adding those to my mantle with the first set.

I enjoyed Van Helsing but it's not even close to being as good as even the lesser of the "Universal Classic Monster" films of the 30s-50s. I'm not holding my breath for The Mummy reboot either, but I *do* think it'll hurry along "The Mummy Legacy Collection" release on BR.
It's too bad that Universal didn't follow through with busts for the other sets. Have they even issued anything similar to this, since?

I think that VAN HELSING (2004) was good for what it was, and I'm all for whatever will encourage Universal to issue Legacy Blu-ray sets of the other Monsters, which the VAN HELSING project did aid in the first time around.

While I can wait for the others, my resistance in getting a DRACULA (1931) Blu-ray has proven futile! Perhaps my act of ordering the standalone Blu-ray will bust the dam open in a Dracula Legacy Blu-ray set getting released next month? ;)

Seriously however, I strongly suspect something would have been announced by now, if the release of such a set were that imminent! I'll just have to settle for a standalone DRACULA Blu-ray Disc, along with my remaining Flipper DVD that includes two of the unreleased to Blu-ray sequels!

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
It's too bad that Universal didn't follow through with busts for the other sets. Have they even issued anything similar to this, since?
Not that I know of...
While I can wait for the others, my resistance in getting a DRACULA (1931) Blu-ray has proven futile! Perhaps my act of ordering the standalone Blu-ray will bust the dam open in a Dracula Legacy Blu-ray set getting released next month? ;)
FWIW you *may* want to keep a eye on the UK Region Free "Universal Classic Monsters: The Essential Collection". I picked up a copy of that one 5 months ago for ~$20 US (or ~$25 CA) shipped and w/forex fees (and had no idea these Frankenstein and Wolf Man BR sets were coming!!). It's a bit higher right now (~$35 CA) but drops in price fairly regularly. While I *somewhat* regret purchasing it I also now have BR copies of 8 films - 6 of which haven't yet had their "Legacy Collection" releases so I'm relatively happy. It was cheap enough that even when I purchase those Legacy releases I'll just keep the UK set for Phantom of the Opera and ignore its Legacy release (which'll be a single film anyway). Plus it has a nice booklet inside and better packaging than the R1 version of the set.
Seriously however, I strongly suspect something would have been announced by now, if the release of such a set were that imminent! I'll just have to settle for a standalone DRACULA Blu-ray Disc, along with my remaining Flipper DVD that includes two of the unreleased to Blu-ray sequels!

I feel the same - BUT I had *no* idea the BR Legacy sets of Frankenstein and Wolf Man were coming until I saw on another board they were available from BB (and only $15 for Wolf Man, making it hard for me to resist a purchase). If Amazon does a PM on the Wolf Man set I'll get it with no hesitation. I've resisted so far simply because BB wants ~$5 for shipping/sales tax but I keep finding stuff to get free shipping which is further weakening my resolve - especially so reading all the good comments about the "lesser" films in these sets!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
FWIW you *may* want to keep a eye on the UK Region Free "Universal Classic Monsters: The Essential Collection". I picked up a copy of that one 5 months ago for ~$20 US (or ~$25 CA) shipped and w/forex fees (and had no idea these Frankenstein and Wolf Man BR sets were coming!!). It's a bit higher right now (~$35 CA) but drops in price fairly regularly. While I *somewhat* regret purchasing it I also now have BR copies of 8 films - 6 of which haven't yet had their "Legacy Collection" releases so I'm relatively happy. It was cheap enough that even when I purchase those Legacy releases I'll just keep the UK set for Phantom of the Opera and ignore its Legacy release (which'll be a single film anyway). Plus it has a nice booklet inside and better packaging than the R1 version of the set.

I feel the same - BUT I had *no* idea the BR Legacy sets of Frankenstein and Wolf Man were coming until I saw on another board they were available from BB (and only $15 for Wolf Man, making it hard for me to resist a purchase). If Amazon does a PM on the Wolf Man set I'll get it with no hesitation. I've resisted so far simply because BB wants ~$5 for shipping/sales tax but I keep finding stuff to get free shipping which is further weakening my resolve - especially so reading all the good comments about the "lesser" films in these sets!

My post may come out a bit backwards, but here goes:

That $15 for The Wolf Man Legacy Blu-ray set is an excellent deal, one that ultimately didn't pan out for me, due to a number of mitigating factors. Nevertheless, I'm fairly happy with the pricing this Canuck was able to get for both this and the Frankenstein sets, which are now around $45 CDN each on Amazon Canada. I just knew that if I failed to cash in on their pre-order pricing ($32.89 was low as it got!) I'd have been screwed, and sad to say, I was not wrong, in this instance! :P

Regarding the UK Region Free "Universal Classic Monsters: The Essential Collection"; however good the current pricing is, the only title I'm in any hurry to get is DRACULA (1931), and by the time I have sufficient funds to place an order, I'm likely looking at mid October for getting this from the UK. Therefore, I'll most probably stick with my current plan for ordering the standalone Blu-ray, which will make my personal "Big Three Universal Monsters" complete as is possible (Just have to wait for DRACULA'S DAUGHTER and SON OF DRACULA Blu-ray releases!) on Blu-ray, at the moment!

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
This is an interesting thread. I didn't even know about the re-boot of the Mummy coming out next year. Wow. I still enjoy the original Karloff Mummy (my favorite of the Universal Monsters), and I really like the Stephen Sommers' Mummy films.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
This is an interesting thread. I didn't even know about the re-boot of the Mummy coming out next year. Wow. I still enjoy the original Karloff Mummy (my favorite of the Universal Monsters), and I really like the Stephen Sommers' Mummy films.
Thanks, skylark! :)

I'm not too interested in The Mummy series beyond the first one with Boris Karloff. However, if its Legacy Blu-ray set were to include ABBOTT & COSTELLO MEET THE MUMMY (1955) in its original 1.85:1 aspect ratio (C'mon Universal; TCM has aired it that way!), I'd probably go for that set!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I love the Mummy series films and am looking forward to that one. If they *finally* "fix" Abbott & Costello Meet the Mummy and make it true WS it'll be a day 1 purchase! :)
Realistically, I think it's somewhat a mixed bag. On the one hand, I recall Bob Furmanek posting that he pretty much begged Universal to correct the Aspect Ratio for ABBOTT & COSTELLO MEET THE MUMMY (1955) from its long set 1.33:1 the last time out, to no avail! Yet, I've recently read in a post that TCM has aired this Feature in its correct 1.85:1 Aspect Ratio, so it's not as though it hasn't been correctly presented!

Of course, there will inevitably be those that think 1.33:1 is the RIGHT way to present "Meet The Mummy", and there was a time that I was on the fence about such matters regarding open matte presentations. However, after having educated myself by reading many related postings in Bob Furmanek's Aspect Ratio topic, and in other threads, it is my opinion the original Theatrical presentation should be what governs, or at least the original intended AR at the time of shooting when such documentation is available!

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
51GNHPFQNJL.jpg

I have that set too, ordered it off Amazon. I was worried the busts were going to break during shipping. only had the plastic holding one of Dracula discs crack a little. It wasn't enough to return it as the discs played perfectly. They still do, I watched my set last year. I'm happy with it but Blu versions of these movies would be nice. A Creature From the Black Lagoon bust would have been awesome!

I didn't care for Van Helsing, too crammed, but I did like the Mummy reboots. The new one could be good.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks