What's new

Dr. Syn: The Scarecrow Of Romney Marsh (1 Viewer)

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack Theakston
The review is talking specifically about the Disney bumpers, NOT the feature film, which is only presented in 1.66:1.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
they have the intros and outros with Walt in 1.33:1 for the episodes, but as a bonus feature, they have the 1.66:1 versions with more space on the sides. it is odd that they didn't go with the 1.66:1 with the versions.

PaulaJ

Supporting Actor
Dr. Syn seems to have sold out super-quick since I was unable to place an order today. (I was waiting for the big semi-annual 25 percent off sales.) Deepdiscount lists it as "unavailable" with no "order" button on the page and DVDplanet as "temporarily unavailable" and if you hit the "order" button at Planet the shopping cart comes up empty. Surely Disney will press more of these soon?

chas speed

Second Unit
Real Name
jeff
I wonder if this has been pulled for some reason.. It seems strange that I could not place an order.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
I think what you may be experiencing here is simply the result of there being more demand than supply. All three of these sets have a production run of 39,500 tins each. That is by far the lowest production run of any sets in the series. There were a couple 50,000 sets last year, but prior to that, Disney usually cranked out 100,000 or more of each edition. I managed to find all three today. I bought two at BB on the 2 for $40 deal, and snagged the third at Sam's Club for $21.88, since BB would not do 3 for 60. Also, FWIW, the Sam's Club in my neck of the woods had several copies (7 or 8) of each title in stock, so if you're still searching and near a Sam's Club that may be a good option.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Also, I'd reccommend trying out Disney's online store if you're haivng trouble finding it available online.

PaulaJ

Supporting Actor
It seems to be gone entirely from the DVDplanet site -- I couldn't even call it up at all this evening. DeepDiscountDVD still has it listed as unavailable. Correct me if I'm wrong, but these two retailers are owned by the same company, yes? So there must be some problem with this one distributor getting the title. Both Amazon and DVDEmpire have it in stock. I was just hoping to get it with the sale coupon to save a few bucks. I'll just be patient and see what happens -- maybe they'll get it back in in a few days.

chas speed

Second Unit
Real Name
jeff
Dvd Planet actually sent me an email saying this title has been "discontinued". I think that's a fancy way of saying they don't want to give me 25% off.

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
I picked up a copy at Fry's for $22 and I have to say that I'm more excited about this release than any in a long time. Can't wait to watch it.

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Best Buy has a 2 for $40 deal on the Treasures releases that are about as good as I've found for these titles.

Like Michael, I can't remember when I've anticipated a release this much - I popped it in tonight and was completely enthralled until the end of the last episode. It all felt very much like 1963 again for a short while.

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Just a quick FYI, these have not been offered on Deep Discount precisely because of the sale. Anytime a distributor doesn't want particular product to be exposed to these sales, the product is list as unavailable. For what its worth, Deep Discount didn't even have this Treasures wave listed for pre-order.

Regardless, my point is that its a mistake to gauge widespread availability based on the Deep Discount family of websites. Particularly during the big sale period.

PaulaJ

Supporting Actor
I talked to a customer service representative at DVDPlanet today and her story was that that Dr. Syn was a "limited edition" so they only got so many copies which had been all sold and thus it was no longer available and that's why it was not longer listed at the site. As of this afternoon, DDD had it listed with a price but try to order it and it says temporarily out of stock.

So I gave up and ordered it from Amazon, which shortly sent me an e-mail to let me know it had shipped. Oh well.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Bob Graham

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Graham
Using the Barnes and Noble coupon thread in the DVD Bargains forum over on DVD Talk, I was able to use a 15% off coupon and got DR SYN for $17.xx shipped. I used a different $5 off coupon to get THE CHRONOLOGICAL DONALD V4 for $16.xx shipped

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Anyone find this in Canada? Three local stores had none on the shelves, and my pre-order at Amazon.ca is showing as pending with no stock.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
Disney obviously thinks that Donald and others have broader appeal than Dr. Syn and I'm sure they are right ... so I would not sweat the supply issue.

That said, I've been waiting for this release for years. I'm not saying this is a great film. It simply resonated with me more as a child than any Wonderful World of Color offering of which I watched faithfully every Sunday night.

The masks, the scarecrow's laugh, the Robin Hood type story, the theme song, it's what appealed to me back in 1963 when I was 8.

Oh, happy day.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks