What's new

Dr. Syn: Alias The Scarecrow Coming in August!!! (1 Viewer)

KenRen

Stunt Coordinator
Fans,

After many delays, looks like "Dr. Syn: Alias The Scarecrow" is finally coming out on DVD. It was bumped off the list last year when Disney moved forward it's planned release of early Mickey Mouse black and white cartoon collection. (bad Disney, bad Disney)

August is the release month for the Region 1, Disney DVD debut of DR. SYN, ALIAS THE SCARECROW. Details and cover art of the edition have not been announced yet, but the suggested retail price will be $19.99 (it is available for pre-order at Amazon.com for $13.99.)

The Doctor Syn character, played by a young Patrick McGoohan in the title role, is known either as "The Scarecrow of Romney Marsh" or "Dr Syn, Alias the Scarecrow". I remember the Disney Sunday episodes scaring the crap out of me when I was a kid.

For those who remember the three 1964 TV episodes, you might be in luck. It seems as thought the movie is actually three different stories wrapped into one movie, each getting about a 40 minute treatment, including scene breaks where commercials could have been inserted. However, no details of the DVD are available yet. Maybe the DVD will include the original TV episodes with the actual Walt Disney intros! (hope, hope)

I recently had a chance to watch a (very poor) video copy of this. A great early performance by Patrick McGoohan. And the stories inside the movie were very good. Each involved the Scarecrow solving a problem with a very complicated plan, full of surprises and misleading clues, very enjoyable.

For the latest news, go to the best Scarecrow site:
http://users.msworldnet.com/tomhering/links_page.htm

KenRen

Final note: I have convinced the owner of the video copy to send it to Disney for destruction. After watching the video and looking closely at the box art and cassette tape label, I am almost convinced that it is a bootleg. The owner bought it in good faith (and not cheap either), but would rather lose the money spent than keep an illegal copy. Principles we can all applaud.

Bob Pierce

Stunt Coordinator
YES! This has been on my "Most Wanted" list for a while, and I'm very excited to see that it's finally coming out on DVD.

I have fond memories of this from when I was a boy, and I can still hear the theme song in my head. I think I even have a poster and a scratchy promotional 45 from the show somewhere....I'll have to dig them out before August! :) It was just one of those tales of mystery, action and adventure that came along at the right time for me. Don't know how I'll react on rewatching it so many years later, but I'll still be popping it in the player the day it's released!

And thanks for the URL, KenRen! I hadn't heard of that site before.

Looking forward to August!

- Bob

JonSpice

Stunt Coordinator
I have the original uncut version taped off the Disney channel before channel labeling, taped in SP it took 2 tapes for the episode of Dr. Christopher Syn AKA "The Scarecrow of Romney Marsh". In the book curlew was a girl who fell in love with Christopher. Walt changed that and put a boy in her place, the book is so different from the movie I read and re-read as a teenager.

The movie that came out cut so much of the real action to fit a shorter time frame as they did "Goliath Awaits" and "The Alamo" both ran 3H20M in the full length version.

Jeff Swearingen

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff
Apparently Dr. Syn was shown Thursday night for one screening here.

The Pickford Cinema | Dr. Syn, alias The Scarecrow

This quote made me wonder if there was actually something happening with this release, now delayed for over three years.

Producer/director, Larry Green of Bellingham, recently sat down with long–time friend and business associate, legendary actor/writer/director/producer Patrick McGoohan (Secret Agent, The Prisoner, Braveheart) for an extremely rare interview to be included in the long awaited Disney DVD release of McGoohan’s 1965 film, Dr. Syn alias the Scarecrow. Patrick McGoohan, known to be the highly creative force behind the legendary cult TV series, The Prisoner, 1967, is known for being reclusive, private and “difficult”.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I'd like to know if anything is happening with this release myself. I have two friends who have been chomping at the bit for it ever since this news circulated four years ago.

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
I sincerely hope that we will get this in episode form, but knowing Disney, they'll give us the chopped up movie instead. Their track record isn't particularly good with catalog stuff that isn't either Platinum or Treasures.

I'm a little disappointed as this would have made a great Treasures entry in the next (last?) wave.

Jeff Swearingen

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff
How much difference is there in the movie form? It has been at least fifteen years since I saw the episodes on the syndicated Wonderful World of Disney.

JeffMc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
jeffmc
The original VHS release from Disney Video was 129 minutes and appeared to be uncut (minus the bumpers, intros, credits, previously on, etc.). Someone on the imdb seems to confirm this - although I am no expert on this film so it could be incorrect.

From the imdb:

The long out of print Disney VHS tape (USA version, at least) is not cut, but runs two hours and nine minutes, and contains all of the three-part TV serial except for episode breaks and original opening and closing credits, playing as a continuous feature with the theatrical release titles. Cinema prints of this film do omit material and run only 98 minutes. It was once shown in the mid-70s on the "World of Disney" broadcast network TV show as a two-parter, missing the middle episode in which the Scarecrow deals with a traitor among his men.

On its first and second airings on the Disney TV show in 1964 and 1965, all three segments of this program were shown, including the one in which the Scarecrow deals with a traitor among his men. On the Disney Channel, in the 1990's, all three segments were also shown.

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Maybe the mods could change this thread's subject? After getting my hopes up, it was a little depressing to see that nothing's changed regarding this release -

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I would love to hear an announcement about this! I have been waiting for this release (as well as some other Wonderful World of Disney movies) for a long time.

Brandon Gantt

Second Unit
I remember hearing that Disney was having trouble finding the original uncut elements, and thats what has delayed the title for so long. I don't know if they were able to restore it to it's original presentation.

skunkwerx

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve F.
For fun.....A (fanbased) DVD teaser trailer for the upcoming release of a "Dr. Syn - Alias the Scarecrow".

syn400
Enjoy. (Flash Required)

Bill Thomann

Supporting Actor
Nice teaser. Although it'll be sweet just to get Syn in the 2 forms some features would be nice. I wonder if they'll have any short featurettes or anything. No matter what, Syn will be mine in November.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew

In my email correspondence with the editor of SaveDisney.com he told me that they had restored the picture but were too cheap to restore the audio to conform to the complete cut.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks