What's new

Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler (1 Viewer)

Marc Fusion

Agent
Anyone else pick this one up? Image released this in a two disc set, with both parts included. The image is good for a 1922 era release, still looks rough at times though. A new stereo score is also provided, which sounds good and fits the material well enough. The only bonus is an audio commentary on both parts by David Kalat (of All Day Entertainment), but this guy knows his stuff, as he proved on All Day's Mabuse discs. The feature itself is awesome, one of the best silent films out there if you ask me, maybe even one of the best films, period. A must see for noir fans, with some heavy influences evident all the way into modern stuff. Feel free to discuss other Mabuse films or discs, or even Fritz Lang, if desired, so long as it's somehow related. :)

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I'm a VERY big Lang fan. I could hardly believe it when I saw that this was to be released. I have not watched it yet, but will watch it soon. Would also love to see Die Nibelungen released.

Richard Carnahan

Stunt Coordinator
When the discs arrived I planned to view about five minutes to check for quality. I wound up watching the whole first disc instead--about two hours.
Both the film and the transfer are excellent.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
I would love to have these, but don't have the budget for it right now. Good to know that they are high quality for future reference.
------------------
"It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen"
S&S Challenge: 72 ...25
DVD BEAVER

My DVD Collection

StevenA

Second Unit
Marc,
Thanks for alerting me to this. I am also a huge Lang fan and am unbelievably excited about the retrospective at the LA County Museum of Art starting soon (they did his US films and are now about to start screening most of the great German ones).
Another vote for Die Nibelungen on disc, too. at the LACMA they're also showing the newly restored Metropolis as seen at the Berlin Film Fest. That has to get to DVD fairly soon, surely!

Cary

Stunt Coordinator
I'm actually listening to the commentary right now - it's a fantastic history lesson on the film, Lang, Jacques et al. What it lacks is an in-depth discussion of the visual aesthetics and techniques. Commentary #2 would have been perfect!
The film is of course what it is - a masterpiece. I certainly am waiting for the Nibelungen movies on DVD, as well as an official Spies...and Testament. Hopefully Image or someone else will follow-up with these soon.
Steven, can you give any details on the German restoration versions showing in LA. I'll be out there in a couple of weeks, and would love to catch any of them if it's possible. A website would be fantastic - I'll do a search in a second myself.
With the German restorations showing in the US, maybe we can get these version released on DVD - I understand that Metropolis is a revelation.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Now that we have this film on DVD, what are the chances of getting the follow up film "The Testament of Dr. Mabuse"(1933) on DVD. Is this being worked on for a release in the future. I'm not really in the 1960's version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks