What's new

Dr. Horrible's Sing-along blog - What Joss Whedon did during the WGA strike (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Dr. Horrible

Joss Whedon and his family wrote a 3-act musical (for internet distribution) starring Neil Patrick Harris, Nathan Fillion and Felicia Day. They did this during the writers strike earlier this year.

Act I was posted a few days ago, Act II is now up today, and Act III will be up on Saturday. Check it out if you enjoyed the Buffy the Musical episode, as the songs have that type of style to them.

Shawn Shultzaberger

Supporting Actor
Lovin' Dr. Horrible and his Sing-Along Blog.

Edit: OK. I just finished Act II. Wow! I really like this. Had to send it on to a couple of friends who liked "Fire Fly".

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member

Oops! I posted and went to work after doing a cursory look for "Joss Whedon"s name in a thread title.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Act 3 is up Now!
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
Best stuff..

"It's a good day to be homeless..."
"Oh yes, it sure is.."

Spoiler for potential content that gives away a point and could be offensive.
best lyric: "I will sleep with the same girl twice/I hear that's better/then you get to do the wierd stuff/" (Chorus chimes in) "we do the weird stuff!"
Great stuff. Love the carribean opener

Spoiler about the end, just in case:

Holy cow. How can you not watch that and feel surprisingly sympathetic for Dr. Horrible; even in victory, crushed by defeat in his own way. Really, brilliant ending to this. I'm surprised it turned so dark in a way.

One thing for sure, the ending definitely solidifies it was written by Whedon.

Shawn Shultzaberger

Supporting Actor
Wow! That was great. Not quite the ending I had in mind and I like that. I have never been a big fan of musicals but this was really good. Perhaps this is just the beginning of the future for online only TV?

Mary_P

Second Unit
It was free only until midnight on the 20th. (Read the Master Plan here.) It's on iTunes exclusively now. The season pass for $3.99 is a little cheaper than buying the acts separately. They're planning to release it on DVD at some point too, though I'm sure that'll cost more.

BTW, at the Chicago "Can't Stop the Serenity" screening this weekend, one guy showed up dressed as Captain Hammer and I saw more than a few Dr. Horrible T-shirts. Very fun!

Mary
P.S. Somebody please tell me how to get the "Bad Horse" theme outta my head.... Grr, argh.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I am all for advancing internet media etc. But I think that $4 for 30 minute show is way to much. I don't think people will line up to pay that.

The only chance internet media stuff like this will succeed is if they price it at a level that makes it a no-brainer. For me it would be something like $1.

All this being said, I got to watch this show when it was free and really liked it. I have always been a Joss fan, and I really liked his Buffy musical episode. So I was stoked to see more of this. (just not $4 stoked LOL)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Scott-

I tend to agree. However, at this point it appears as though 'Dr. Horrible' has sold around a few hundred thousand copies at this point:

Apple - iTunes - iTunes Store - TV Shows

Which means some people are OK with the pricing. And at the price as it sits, the ammount paid out to everyone is not small; which rewards future efforts.

This isn't even counting things I expect, like Ringtones, DVDs, and an eventual airing on Fox or somewhere probably ;)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Thanks, but not there anymore, as Mary_P notes. I might try it if it's $4 for the whole season (if that's

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
There is talk that there are going to be atleast 4 more episodes, but that is strictly rumor at this point. I did read that the soundtrack is going to be released on itunes soon.

I paid the $4, because I enjoy the show and I think it was worth it. I might even download the soundtrack when it comes out as I cannot get those clever songs out of my head.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I've got a personal max for TV at about $1.75 / episode (TV on DVD at $35/season
). Normal iTunes at $2 / ep is much too expensive to me. But $4 / 3+ episode season is a good deal. :emoji_thumbsup:

However, I've got a backlog of about 15 seasons of TV on DVD, plus the Fall season starting in a few months. So I think this has to get put on the "eventual" list.

How do people watch Dr. Horrible? At your computer? On an AppleTV? Other...?

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I guess I am looking at the first 3 parts as 3 acts of 1 episode. So it feels to me like $4 for 1 episode.

All 3 acts so far have only totaled about 30 Minutes. If they release more acts and get the total episode time to an hour, and keep it at $4, it might be a little more reasonable.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks